OFFICIAL: Mikel signs new deal

Skysports.com understands that John Obi Mikel has signed a new long-term contract with Chelsea.

The Nigerian midfielder has been with the Blues since joining from Lyn Oslo in 2006 after a protracted and controversial transfer saga.

He has since established himself as a key player for Chelsea and earned particularly good reviews for his performances last season, when he had to take on more responsibility in the absence through injury of Michael Essien.

Mikel's deal had been set to expire next year, leading to speculation that he could be set to leave Stamford Bridge.

However, agent John Shittu revealed earlier this week that Mikel was ready to commit his future to Chelsea by penning a new five-year deal.

And it is believed that the 22-year-old has now done just that to give the Blues a boost ahead of the new Premier League campaign.

From SkySports

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Obi Mikel's future at Chelsea is up-in-the-air.

The Times says Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is keen to sign a big-name midfielder, which could mean Obi Mikel making way.

The Nigeria midfield player has only one year left on his contract and has yet to be offered another.

John Mikel Obi has followed Florent Malouda in signing a new contract with the club.

The 22-year-old midfielder has committed his future to Chelsea by signing a new five-year deal which runs until 2014.

'It was easy to commit to because I am happy here and when the opportunity came it was good to sign after speaking to the club,' said the Nigerian international.

'My future with the new manager will be bright, and I think we have a good working relationship already,' he added.

'All the managers I have played for here have their own type of systems they want us to play, and whoever comes in will want to change little bits and pieces.

'There is not much to change but they all bring in different views, and the new manager wants us to play in a certain formation which we need to get used to before the season starts.'

Mikel started Tuesday night's game against Inter in the Rose Bowl, and is well on the way to full fitness under Carlo Ancelotti, who has so far employed a new 4-4-2 diamond formation.

'It has been hard work getting back to fitness but we all want to be sharp for the start of the season, training is hard work but we have to do it,' he said.

'The new formation doesn't make too much difference to me in defensive midfield,' he explained, 'but perhaps it is a little harder as I have to cover more ground for the team, but I feel I am up to the task and I am sure I can do it.'

Chelsea fans can look forward to another five years of Mikel doing exactly that.

Chelsea FC

Brilliant news just hope that Drogba and J.Cole and A.Cole are next to sign.................

Its good to see that the club arent wasting time with contracts either. Hopefully they commit the above mentioned as well, then its just up to Terry to commit to Chelsea and one or two more good signings and we are good to go for the season.

he'll gonna be one of Chelsea's greatest, look ahead.

I admire him since he has moved to the bridge... Absoloutley awesom skills in passing, defending and pulling the strings for slowing down and speeding up the game... just his finishing has to be better, but it looks like hes had trainded that.

great...