OFFICIAL: Mikel signs new deal

John Obi Mikel insists he's staying at Chelsea to win the Champions League.

"I have a contract with Chelsea. I love the club and will play for them. I'm loved and respected and above all, I'm happy there," Mikel told Nigerian football newspaper Soccer Star.

"I want to make history with Chelsea by winning the Champions League with them."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very sceptical about him taking Makelele's role in the beginning, but along with Malouda he was our most improved player over last season. I hope he does stay a long time, he puts everything in when he plays.

good to hear. Happy that he wants to stay atleast if essien eventually leaves we have mikel to play the same sorta role. Might take him a few seasons to get a bit better in the posistion but he will get there.

• 2 weeks later...

The agent of John Obi Mikel has confirmed he will sign a new Chelsea deal this week.

With the player's current deal due to expire next year, there have been rumours that Jose Mourinho is interested in taking the 22-year-old Nigeria international to Inter Milan this summer.

However, agent John Shittu has now revealed that Mikel is ready to sign a five-year deal to stay at Stamford Bridge.

"He will sign the deal early this week," he told Kick Off Nigeria.

"Some of the club officials were away, but they were expected back last weekend. As soon as everybody is in, we will sign the new contract.

"It is a very good deal for him and would put him at par with some of the top earners in the club."

Excellant news. Mikel is a class act and definate one for our long term future. Easy to forget his age most of the time, but it has been very impressive the way Mikel has grown since joining us....

I forget how old he is every time he plays. Its like 99% of Chelsea fans think he is essien's age when he plays. He improved on his defensive game last season.