Anelka 'accepts' wide role

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka has told setanta.com that he will happily play in the wide role next season if required.

The French hit-man won last season's Premier League Golden Boot despite Didier Drogba being preferred in the solitary striker's role under Guus Hiddink.

Anelka says he has learnt to 'accept' his role now and will continue on the right side of the attack if asked by Hiddink's successor.

"I accept playing out on the right and it is not a problem for me if the new manager wants the same system," Anelka told setanta.com.

"It gives me the chance to link up with Didier [Drogba] and also to do my own thing."

Some critics feel that Anelka is reluctant to chase back and help with the defensive duties but this was not the case in the FA Cup final against Everton.

"I did my share of defending but that is necessary for the good of the team," added the Frenchman.

Michael Ballack was 'disappointed' to be named as a substitute at Wembley but he is expecting Chelsea to challenge strongly for honours again next season.

The German does not believe the appointment of a new manager will unsettle the side.

"All coaches have their own training methods and tactics but the players will not be hindered by this at the start of the new season," Ballack told setanta.com.

"We have an experienced group of players and they will adjust and get on with it."

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic