Treble talk annoying Lampard

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19042009/1/t...ng-lampard.html

Frank Lampard is beginning to hate talk of Chelsea winning a trophy treble this season, by insisting winning "just one trophy would be great".The England midfielder's man-of-the-match performance against Arsenal inspired the Blues to reach the FA Cup final with a 2-1 win at Wembley.

Arsenal had taken the lead in the 18th minute through Theo Walcott but Chelsea equalised through France international Florent Malouda, who beat Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski at his near post with a low drive.

Didier Drogba then smashed his eighth goal in nine games to seal the win and leave Chelsea still in the hunt for success on three fronts.

Chelsea face Barcelona in the semi-finals of the Champions League and remain in the hunt for the Premier League title.

But Lampard says talk of a treble just adds to the pressure.

"I hate talk of the treble," he said. "When you talk about it the pressure gets even more so we must keep our heads down and take each game and competition as it comes and if we do that then we will have a chance.

"It will be very difficult to win three but if we can win something then that would be great.

"We are now in a position where we can potentially be very successful this year."

Chelsea had to come from behind yet again to see off Arsene Wenger's side.

The Blues allowed Liverpool a two-goal lead at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League in midweek before launching a remarkable comeback, eventually drawing 4-4 to advance 7-5 on aggregate.

When Walcott put Arsenal in front they had to dig deep once more and Lampard believes it is something they must sort out quickly.

"We started quite slow again and gave them a chance to play and score in the first 20 minutes," he added.

"But once we got our game together a little bit, pressed up the pitch and got a bit more physical with them I think we controlled the game and deserved to win it.

"It is a great habit and spirit to keep coming back but it is disappointing to start slow. You put yourself under a bit of pressure which we don't want to keep doing.

"We have got spirit at the moment, are playing well and confident. Once we got back level there was a feeling throughout the team that we would go on and win it.

"We became stronger the longer the game went on. That is one of our strengths, it always has been.

"We are quite powerful but we can also play and create chances. We do the hard work first and then try and get the ball down and play. That is when we are at our best."

Lampard now believes Chelsea must maintain their self-belief to stand any chance of catching Manchester United at the top of league.

United remain four points ahead with a game in hand and Lampard knows all they can do is continue winning and hope Sir Alex Ferguson's side slip up.

They may lose out to United in the league but there is a real prospect of a cup double-header against United in the FA Cup and Champions League.

"We must keep doing the good things we are doing at the moment - playing together and playing with spirit," said Lampard.

"We must carry that on until the end of the season. We cannot afford to slip in the league.

"We want to keep going and keep putting the pressure on. We want to win all our games because you never know what might happen. It is important we do that and try and keep our form."

Lampard would not be drawn on the future of interim coach Guus Hiddink who insists he will return to his full-time job as Russia's national coach at the end of the season.

Hiddink has lost just one game since he replaced Luiz Felipe Scolari on a temporary basis and there are signs he is really enjoying life at Stamford

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the situation we found ourselves in a few months ago, any trophy would be incredible. For me we have no chance in the Premier League. The Champions league will be difficult but i think we have the momentum to do it. The FA Cup is the obvious one for us to pick up, but we shoudln't be complacent with Everton or we will come undone.

1 will be amazing for me, and if we can manage the 2 cup comps then it will be nothing short of miraculous from the position we was in.

If you'd have offered me one trophy a couple of months back I'd have chewed your hand off. However as we approach the tail end of the campaign we are still in the running for three major honours. Being totally realistic, the PL is United's to lose and it would be nothing short of a miracle if we claimed the title. The FA Cup is a brilliant shot at glory but this is Everton's first chance of a trophy for over 10 years, and they'll be up for it. If we can overcome Barcelona as well, then the CL is a possibility as well. We could end up with 2 or even all 3, maybe we'll end up with nothing, but my heart of hearts says one trophy is on the cards, and that's great IMO.

I feel like I have gone through this big rollar coaster

At times I felt we could win everything (not really but kinda in my bias opinion)

At times I felt we would be lucky to do score a goal in the next 5 games (exaggerating)

At this point, I know we have played EXCELLENT and are considerably hot but I still think we could win 2 trophies if we stay hot with some good breaks