Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Hiddink makes Abramovich plea

Chelsea's interim manager Guus Hiddink is urging Blues owner Roman Abramovich to match Liverpool's model and plan for the long term.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez, who has guided Liverpool to two Champions League finals since being appointed as manager in 2004, signed a new five-year deal at Anfield this week which will extend his Merseyside stay until 2014.

Abramovich has axed four coaches - Claudio Ranieri, Jose Mourinho, Avram Grant and Luiz Felipe Scolari - since Benitez arrived at Liverpool, but reports suggest he may attempt to keep his interim coach beyond the summer.

Although it seems unlikely that Hiddink will stay beyond this season, the Russia manager has urged Chelsea's billionaire benefactor to halt his reputation for hiring and firing coaches.

"It's good when a club have continuity and stability in management. You can make the short-term plan and also a little bit for the longer term," Hiddink told the Daily Mail Saturday.

"Whether the strategy or the philosophy is to have the position occupied for a short or a long period is not down to me, but if I'm asked I'll give my opinion.

"If you plan for the long term, you can have a good view on the potential within England and abroad, as well as the academy."

Dutchman Hiddink maintains he will quit Chelsea at the end of the season, but the club have been revitalised under him and are now second in the Premier League.

He takes his team to Tottenham on Saturday and could be trying to stop Roman Pavlyuchenko, who is in Russia's squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Azerbaijan and Liechtenstein next week.

The striker featured for Spurs reserves against Chelsea in midweek although he missed a penalty with his national coach looking on.

Hiddink added: "I hope Pavlyuchenko plays against us. It would be good for him, but I'm not sure whether he will."

TeamTalk

I agree with Hiddink.

We should be looking to build a team up to dominate the EPL. We've had a taste of it and I'm sure theres more of it to come if we go about things the right way. With Hiddink and Roman being so friendly you would think he would listen to what he has to say and take it on board.