Deco Hits Back

SSN

Deco hits back at critics

Portuguese determined to prove he can succeed without Scolari

Chelsea midfielder Deco is determined to demonstrate that he can prove a success at Stamford Bridge without former manager Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Deco made a dazzling beginning to his career in England after leaving Barcelona last summer in an £8million deal, but injuries have resulted in inconsistent form since the autumn.

Critics have argued that the Portuguese enjoyed an extended lease of life in the Blues first-team under Scolari due to a long-standing relationship with his boss, who he worked with at international level.

But Deco has hit back at the suggestion and the 31-year-old, a rumoured target of UEFA Champions League opponents Juventus, is determined to prove his doubters wrong following the February sacking of Scolari.

"Maybe Scolari should have had more time, but in football you don't get it. It's always results," Deco said in The Times

"Of course it's difficult when a coach wants you and then he leaves. Yes, I worked with Scolari for many years in the national team, but I also played without him for years.

"I have a contract with Chelsea, not Scolari. I need to prove that Chelsea made a good decision to bring me here."

And Deco hopes that he will able to remain at 100 per cent fitness for the rest of the campaign in order to help Chelsea in their faint hopes of Premier League success and more realistic Champions League challenge.

"We can only see on the final week whether it was a good or a bad season," he added.

"I don't want to make an excuse, 'I was injured.' I will try to show the real Deco for the rest of the season. But it's important to be without injury and then I can play better."

I had my doubts when we initially signed him. In the beginning I seemed to have been proved wrong, but he then had a run of shocking performances and my doubts returned.

Its up to him and rightly so to prove everyone wrong. Its not just his connections/favourtism with Scolari that fans picked up on, it was his lack of fight, although to be fair it was lacking in quite alot of the players.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my doubts when we signed him as well he's 31, he had a fantastic start but since that injury he's been shocking and he was scolari's pet, it's upto him now to show the fans he's good enough

We can not take away that he was one of the worlds best players at one point in his career, but to be fair to the man i think we could at least give him another season, same deal with ballack and shev. He is 31 and surely past his best but if he can provide what he did for us in pre-season and the first few games of the season day in day out than he could be that creative mid-fielder that we need. But than again if he continues to show his piss poor attitude to even commit himself into going in for a challenge than he can pack his bags and head to the retirement village.

Had a great first month with us but from the minute he got his first injury he's been pretty bloody useless really. Could be down to the rehab/training under Scolari's regime which again, was rumoured to be, so I guess there's a chance he could turn it around again. Won't be holding my breath though.