Hiddink Takes Over

riks12

HIDDINK TAKES OVER

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to confirm Guus Hiddink will become temporary coach until the end of the season.

He is due to meet the players later this week.

The club would like to take this opportunity to thank the Russian Football Union for their understanding and cooperation.

The 62-year-old has been with the Russian national team since 2006, guiding them to the semi-finals of Euro 2008, a competition they qualified for at the expense of England.

During that qualifying campaign, Russia beat an English side in Moscow that included Frank Lampard, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole. Captain John Terry was absent through injury.

During the summer tournament, Hiddink's Russia excelled, cruising through the group stages with wins against Greece and Sweden, before quarter-final victory over his native Holland.

It was that 3-1 extra-time victory that made everyone sit up and take notice of the Russians' attacking vigour, before defeat to eventual champions Spain saw them eliminated.

The Russian role is Hiddink's fourth at international level, following successful spells with Australia, where in 2006 he led the country to its first World Cup Finals since 1974, South Korea, where he guided the co-host nation to fourth place in 2002, having earlier in the tournament secured their first ever win in the tournament, and Holland, who also reached the last four of the World Cup in 1998. It was a Michael Ballack goal that spoilt Korean dreams at the semi-final stage.

0,,10268~5334103,00.jpg

Despite this success, Hiddink's mark on the club stage is equally impressive. Upon leaving the South Korean post in 2002 (having been awarded honorary citizenship) he returned to Holland and PSV, for whom he had played during the early 1970s, and coached to a European Cup victory and a hat-trick of Eredivisie titles in the late 1980s. Included was a domestic and European treble in 1988.

His second spell at the Eindhoven club, which he combined for a time with the Australian national coach role, brought more success. Three more league championships in four years, coupled with a semi-final appearance in the Champions League, at a time when domestic Dutch football has lost some of the weight it used to enjoy, was a mighty achievement.

It was only an 89th minute goal by AC Milan that took the Italians past PSV to play Liverpool in the 2005 Final in Istanbul.

Hiddink's initial spell in Eindhoven was followed by a one-season stay in Turkey at Fenerbahçe before an association with Spanish league football that would occupy him for the greater part of the 1990s began.

Three years at Valencia were brought to an end by the offer of the Dutch national job but when Hiddink returned to the Iberian peninsula, it was to the Bernabéyou and the top job with Real Madrid.

The World Club Cup was won but the capital's famous club proved impatient when domestic results didn't immediately match that triumph and he left after just half of the 1998/99 season, moving quickly south to take charge of Real Betis.

He remained in Seville until the end of the 1999/00 season when his career path turned back towards international management and the South Korea challenge where a reputation for producing attacking, high-tempo football was further enhanced.

Source: Chelsea FC Official Site Edited by riks12

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Win at Watford. Lose to Villa. Boooooooos ring round the Bridge as Juventus win , along with ''You dont know what you're doing'' when its 0-0 half time against Wigan.

Club sacks him, gives him £5 million in compensation, and in their usual panic get in Sam Allardyce ''till the end of the season''.

Probably.

Win at Watford. Lose to Villa. Boooooooos ring round the Bridge as Juventus win , along with ''You dont know what you're doing'' when its 0-0 half time against Wigan.

Club sacks him, gives him £5 million in compensation, and in their usual panic get in Sam Allardyce ''till the end of the season''.

Probably.

Caos is the right Wort

OH!!! NOOOOOO

Putin to help Chelsea land AC Milan coach Ancelotti

12.02.09 | tribalfootball.com

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is ready to help Chelsea land AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti in the summer.

The Mirror says Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will agree to release Guus Hiddink from his short-term deal at Stamford Bridge in the summer so he can focus his efforts on Russia's World Cup campaign.

In exchange, Putin will assist Abramovich in prising Ancelotti away from Milan.

Putin has close links with AC Milan owner and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and will do his bit to make things easier for all concerned.

Under Italian regulations, Chelsea would not have to pay any compensation to Milan even though Ancelotti has two years left on his current San Siro deal, and his basic net salary of £3.5m per year is more than affordable for the Blues, even in their newly-restricted financial circumstances.

Probably.

The way i see it, no compensation for a change.. he walks away come may, in comes Mclaren.. :lol:

long shot we win the CL.. he still walks away.. man now that would be something..

The way i see it, no compensation for a change.. he walks away come may, in comes Mclaren.. :lol:

long shot we win the CL.. he still walks away.. man now that would be something..

Hahaha bringing with him his fake dutch accent...make the match interviews intresting

Omg that be so ooooooo and ahhhhhhhh dont go but be such a legend and awwwww.

in all honestly i dont know what to make of it cause nothing really surprises me with us at the moment, we could go on and win the cl and maybe the fa then say bye bye to gus and bring in someone different and start from scratch again with new players new tactics and maybe bye bye to him if the results aren't going are way with another nice compensation package

Hiddink: Refuses to rule out longer stay

skysports.com

New Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink has refused to rule out the possibility of carrying on beyond the end of the season.

The Dutchman was confirmed as Luiz Felipe Scolari's successor on Wednesday but only on a short term deal, so as not to interfere with his role as Russia coach.

The former PSV boss agonised over the decision to take over at Stamford Bridge and only accepted after he concluded that his job with the Russian national team would not be affected by his temporary move to England.

With the 62-year-old keen on leading Russia out at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa any long-term deal seems a long way off.

But Hiddink has increased speculation over his future by declaring any decision will be made at the end of the season.

"Let's not predict for such a long time," he told the Sport Express.

"I have no such thoughts as we talked only about the work till the end of the season. When we reach the end of the season we will talk about it.

"And who knows maybe this story with Chelsea will get its continuation.

"Before I agreed to work in Chelsea I was thinking about it for a long time, I weighed the pros and cons. I thought how my work in England could tell on the Russian national team.

"And I concluded that the team's interests wouldn't be infringed in any way.

"I'd like to underline that I am responsible for the result of the World Cup 2010 course and I want the national team to perform well.

"Everything concerning the Russian team is precisely planned till the end of the year. In August we have a friendly, in September and October we will prepare for the sparring matches.

"And if our team ends up second in the group we will have necessary days to prepare for the play-offs."

HIDDINK ARRIVES

Posted on: Thu 12 Feb 2009 Guus Hiddink arrived at Cobham this afternoon to meet the players and watch his first training session.

The Dutchman, whose appointment was confirmed by the club on Wednesday, arrived at the training ground shortly before 1pm when he was greeted by Peter Kenyon. The pair took a tour of the main building and met some of the players in the treatment room.

Next, Kenyon introduced the 62-year-old to staff, before continuing to the first team dressing room where the chief executive introduced him to the remaining players.

Those who had played major roles on international duty undertook their recovery session in the state-of-the-art swimming pool, while Hiddink accompanied chairman Bruce Buck out on to the training field to watch the main session, led by Ray Wilkins and Paul Clement. They were later joined by Roman Abramovich and director Eugene Tenenbaum.

0,,10268~5344005,00.jpg

Wilkins, who will lead the team against Watford in the FA Cup on Saturday, chatted with the new coach while Clement oversaw a warm-up and then a sprinting and agility exercise.

Possession games followed under Wilkins' direction as Hiddink continued to observe the mix of first team and reserve players, and the session finished with a junior versus senior game on a half-pitch, with both sides limited to three touches, encouraging quick decision making.

Edited by RX8