Who starts on Sunday ?

Against Liverpool we'll need a physical presence upfront and I feel we need Drogba to start. Carragher and Skrtel will have Anelka in their pockets if we look to him as the target man. I know we'll be looking to hit them on the break, but defensively Drogba is a better player to have in the box defending set pieces which is causing us so many problems atm.

When he came on last night you could see there was a bit more oomph to our attack. He drove at the Boro defenders and looked to make things happen. Anelka also looked pretty good in the second half, he linked up well a few times with Drogba and for me it showed there is potential for them to be paired together if Scolari ever decides to play 4-4-2.

The defence picks itself. Riccy is injured so Alex will continue to parner JT. The midfield trio of Lampard, Mikel and Ballack for me is a must. Deco is too lightweight for this game as we'll need to get hold of the ball in midfield and take the game by the scruff of the neck if we're to get anything out of it. Ballacks aerial ability would also be another factor in picking him over Deco.

So who plays out wide?...... Kalou has staked his claim after his double against Boro, but Malouda for me offers nothing and once he got tackled early in the first half against Boro he went into hiding and didnt want to know. I'd love LFS to have a bit of balls and throw Stoch in from the start. He's an unknown quantity and from what I've seen of him in his last few appearences he's lightning quick and has very clever feet. Exactly the sort of thing we've been missing for years down the flank. We'll need a bit of creativity in the team now that we've lost Cole for the rest of the season. Stoch can be the answer. Its a big ask of a the youngster, but he looks to have no fear.

Its a game we must win. If we drop points of any sort Manu will start to edge further and further away. Theres not a better time to play Liverpool, so come on Scolari......Its all or nothing.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with most of that. With one of Anelka or Drogba alone though, the attack will be like a eunuch, and the dippers defence will cope. Whether Scolari will play both is doubtful, but it's a must win game. With Stoch and Kalou interweaving from the wings, goals would be scored....if only Essien was fit

I think That we need to play with Drogs and Anelka up front or Drogs and Kalou and then Malouda left but that wouldn't be so powerfull as the first one....

We will need to stop Torres I think he can make problems to our defence and it will be perfect to score again from the corner or something..=))

I'm usually of the mind that playing Anelka on the road lends itself well to the way Chelsea play on the road, and the same for Drogba at home. But yesterday proved to me that while he's with the club, Drogba needs to be on the pitch. He demands so much attention/respect from the opposition that it allows everyone else to open up and the attack overall is a lot stronger. Of course I'd be interested in a Anelka/Drogba pairing but Scolari seems as though he'd rather die than play a 4-4-2.

Anelka and Kalou out wide, Drogba as the centre-forward. If things don't happen, Drogba can go off and put Anelka as the lone forward, with Stoch on the wing, or we can sub either of Anelka or Kalou for the young man or Malouda.

Drogba can go off? He has given the Liverpool defense a headache ever since he came to this league.

Firstly, I dont see why Anelka should be on the wings. We slacked Grant last season for screwing Anelka by putting him on Wings and now we want Scolari to do the same.

Secondly, Stoch shouldnt start this game. We need plan B and for that we need an Impact Player which Malouda isnt. If we bring in Malouda to have an impact on the game, our performance will dip further.

Thirdly, Play with Drogba updront alone and get Anelka as the second half striker if things dont go according to plan A.

Cech

Bosingwa

Alex

Terry

Ash

Belletti (think he has been better than Mikel recently in the holding role)

Lampard

Ballack

Kalou (swapping from left to right wing if Drogba starts)

Anelka

Drogba or Deco (outwide on the right)

Drogba can be a matchwinner but Anelka has to start, you cannot leave the leagues top scorer on the bench

You cannot seriously think he will throw in Stoch agaisnt Liverpool away in a match which could decide our title hopes this season...

The team will be:

Cech

Bosingwa

Alex

Terry

Cole

Mikel

Lamps

Ballack

Kalou

Drogba/Anelka

Deco

I dont like Deco left side but it will happen

You cannot seriously think he will throw in Stoch agaisnt Liverpool away in a match which could decide our title hopes this season...

Of course he wont, just giving my thoughts on things. For the little amount of time Stoch has been on the pitch ( all of 20+ minutes) this season he's looked more dangerous than Malouda has been the whole time he's been here.

I wouldnt have Deco anywhere near the team on Sunday.