Let the Drog off the leash

Goal.com

Anelka: It's Time For Chelsea To Unleash Drogba

It's been a harsh winter for Chelsea who, although they sit second in the Premier League, have won just three of their last ten in all competitions.

If third-placed Manchester United, who they tackle at Old Trafford on Sunday, or current leaders Liverpool were to make a break for it, then the Blues' form doesn't indicate that they'd be able to handle the increased intensity.

One of the reasons behind the relative slump is their far from clinical performances in front of goal. Under-fire boss Luiz Felipe Scolari continues to stick to his guns but Nicolas Anelka believes there's more firepower available.

The hitman, the Premier League's top scorer, is quoted by The Mirror as telling a French television programme: "Of course I will score some goals this season, but I'm not a true scorer.

"What I like is to touch the ball a lot and play behind the front man, like I do with France behind Thierry Henry or Karim Benzema.

"Ideally, I would like to play in a classic 4-4-2 with Didier Drogba, playing just behind him."

Scolari has been practically begging for money to spend this month, but Anelka clearly feels that the Brazilian gaffer should unleash the fit-again Drogba before looking externally.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is crazy that it is still untried! Even against Southend he didn't give it a run out! With the lack of quality wingers we have at the moment playing 2 strikers is an absolute must to be able to score the goals to win us the games we have not been winning of late!

It is crazy that it is still untried! Even against Southend he didn't give it a run out! With the lack of quality wingers we have at the moment playing 2 strikers is an absolute must to be able to score the goals to win us the games we have not been winning of late!

He brought Drogba on against Cluj and paired him with Anelka. Almost instantly we looked a different side. Drogba was like a man possesed and Anelka looked more sharp and dangerous. He was able to drop off and link up with Drogba and Cluj hadnt a clue how to handle them.

Another thing that has been noticed is the lack of goals from Lampard this season. Having a player like him who'll ghost into the box and score goals must be used to our advantage. Playing 2 upfront will allow him to get into the space thats created by the strikers keeping the defenders busy. We need to play to our strengths. And Lampard is definately a strength any team would relish to have. We need to get him more involved in the final third and 2 upfront is the way to do it.

the thing is that i can understand what nic's talking about because if they play together niccy seems to disappear but he works hard behind the front man to play the ball to him

i think it's time for scolari to swallow some pride and listen to others (fans and players) opinions

Ive been desperate to see the 4-4-2 for ages. It seems to me that scolari has no interest in it what-so-ever. we would be a better team using the standard 4-4-2 but he just aint interested. really pisses me off. Maybe he'll play it away to southend....or maybe not.

I just think we have to face that managers have one specific way of playing their starting XI, and it seems to me Scolari only plays 4-1-4-1 to accommodate all the midfielders.

So basically he's fitting square pegs in round holes. He shouldnt be accomodating anyone. Our biggest threats are Drogba and Lampard. The last few seasons stats will tell him that. We should be building our team around those two. Drogbas physical presence and Lampards eye for goal.

One thing I've mentioned before and I think its worth mentioning again is why not try Bosingwa as a winger and play Ivanovic, Belletti or Ferreira at RB. It would add some balance to the midfield and it would allow crosses to be coming into the box on a regular basis. Something we've not been doing much of this season. Everything is going through the middle.