Chelsea 3-0 Luton Town

James

Sterling outstanding. Can’t believe folk wanted to sell him. Shows how much they know. He is good at getting in the box and has to do so often, his second is exactly the sort of goal he scored say around 10 of a season in Pep’s Man City teams. Some of the attacking patterns and sequences that free him up to get into these positions are good, he is also capable of going wider and creating (via a deflection fair enough) but still. Promising. 

When Nkunku comes back into the fold the pair of him and Sterling firing regularly will soften the blow if Nico takes some time, as even though again he was good tonight, you can see he will have spells where he blows hot and cold. But positive signs tonight albeit only Luton.

Still some things to improve, I think physically teams are going to look to try and pin Levi at times as Luton tried and West Ham did at times so we have to try stop the opposition getting the opportunity to make some of these longer diagonals/deep passes. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

I think we played well, albeit defensively given the opposition.

Still a nice morning's viewing  (sat here in oz)...... I can barely remember the last time Chelsea won at home. spare a thought for Enzo...... he has seemingly lost or drawn every match since he signed here.

My 10 year old just now is watching some little American Chelsea fan"youtuber" playing FIFA on his computer. As I walked through the room, the aforementioned youtuber is reading out his team selections for a match against...... ah who gives a fuck...... and says, with me remarking:

Badiashille...... "bbbzzzzzz - injured"

James.........."bbbbbzzzzz - injured again"

Forfana.........."bbbbbbzzzz - injured again"

Nkunku........"bbbbzzzzzz - out"

Mudrick......."bbbbbbbbbzzzz - injured also"

Chukwumenka......."bbbbbbbbzzzzz - fucked too" .......

(i know my son is 10 but i'm starting to lose my temper by now).

Maybe it is the youtube kid, or maybe the fact i had not had my 2nd coffee yet. 6 of this kids (and possibly my) first team gone before the 3rd match. The commentators here said that we had to put 2 goalkeepers on the bench..... such is the extent of Chelsea's injury list. I think Poch had very little wriggle room.

So sure, it's only Luton.... but with that injury list coupled with the inexperience of this young team...... i take only the positives that have been mentioned already in this thread...... for now. KTBFFH 💙

Edited by sydneyblue

Well it's a must needed win but not really a great performance. Not forgetting that Luton will probably end up last unless they strengthen considerably. Still feel we need a striker who is more clinical. Chillwill is playing as an out and out winger which he is not. Disasi has still not convinced me but ok we have other centre halves still injured. Glad we kept Gallagher. Let's see how it goes.

19 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Hopefully Poch can build a team that isn't reliant on star players.   Don't want to go back to the days of Hazard carrying the attack...

True, I would love a more fluid team -  but I also don't mind having that focal point to rely on, if only to drag us out of tough spots. Hopefully we are close to getting that player again.

9 hours ago, robsblubot said:

yeah man there was nothing going on the the left int he first half.
Mudryk is injured tho, otherwise he'd have prob started today. Madueke is not employable atm IMO; Poch is watching him in practice, so he may see improvement before we do.

This.

I disagree with your points about Jackson - I think he is fantastic, and his performance since preseason, including today, has made me a lot more optimistic about this season (with hopefully players returning from injury sooner )

But that doesn't mean I should attack you or anyone else for having a different opinion.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite., this forum has become more toxic, especially after that shite we saw last season. 

Hope Poch and team can continue with a lot more wins and improve the mood of Chelsea fans everywhere.

10 hours ago, TheHulk said:

This guy might be the most shrewd buy of them all.

Everything I have seen of Gusto so far has been great but he is probably going under the rader as he isn't flashy and that is what everyone loves these days.

Tougher challenges await but he has impressed me the most tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

We finally replaced Hazard, hope Sterling keeps it up like this.

Jackson’s first goal, hope he builds on this. Big workrate, some first touches weren’t that great, but what an effort he puts in every game.

I hope you are right..... my aforementioned 10 year old asked me

"who is Chelsea's number 9?"

With a very deep sigh i replied...... "LAKAKA"......... he laughed as he had seen the memes on the interwebs..... i don't find it that funny.

I long for a return of a striker with the confidence, drive and swagger of someone like Drogba (who was raw also before he became "Drogba Legend").

Early days but Jackson shows promise. 🙂

Watching again. What I like is that we were at them with Sterling and Jackson within 3 seconds. Hopefully a great partnership in development after Sterlings worst season (his words) last year. 

Sky meanwhile seem to delight in comparing our 3 billion spend this century with Lutons 30 million - but they didnt compare honours, funny that

6 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Watching again. What I like is that we were at them with Sterling and Jackson within 3 seconds. Hopefully a great partnership in development after Sterlings worst season (his words) last year. 

Sky meanwhile seem to delight in comparing our 3 billion spend this century with Lutons 30 million - but they didnt compare honours, funny that

Mudryk and Nkunku also combined well with NJ in preseason, main reason I’m so happy with him - he looks an absolute dream to play with and I bet the players fucking love having him there. 

11 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Drogba is undoubtedly one of Chelsea's all time greats. As someone who has all the usual anxieties when it comes to penalty shootouts, I had absolutely no doubt when he stepped up to take his penalty in Munich.

With peoples willingness to write off current and recent past Chelsea players, you do wonder how he would have been received today? After all, he only scored 10 Premier League goals in his first season and 12 in his second.

1 hour ago, JFKvsNixon said:

Drogba is undoubtedly one of Chelsea's all time greats. As someone who has all the usual anxieties when it comes to penalty shootouts, I had absolutely no doubt when he stepped up to take his penalty in Munich.

With peoples willingness to write off current and recent past Chelsea players, you do wonder how he would have been received today? After all, he only scored 10 Premier League goals in his first season and 12 in his second.

Drogba produced 55 total goals in only 5500 minutes all comps his first 2 seasons, whilst playing on lockdown hyper defensive beast teams

and we bossed the league in both seasons

plus we may well have won the CL in 2005 if not for that ultra dodgy no call (100% stone cold pen with VAR today) on Sami Hyypiä in the semi versus the bin-dippers when he leveled Kezman in the box and NO CALL, towards the end of the game