Chelsea Academy

I believe we've signed a gifted 15 year old Ecuadorian for several million pounds? He's VISA restrictions apparently mean he can't play here in England until he's 18. Can someone explain this to me? 

28 minutes ago, Jonny said:

£20m! For someone who wont have an impact for years? When we must have academy players ?

Real Madrid spent around 150m for Vini Jr, Rodrygo and Endrick in similar circumstances. Signed them when they are 16 and they join later. First 2 are starters and very important players for them for some time now and Endrick still 16 will join in 2024. Nothing wrong with that if player is the real deal. 

Also Chelsea academy is overrated. 

Haven't our academy players u/17, Youth and u/21 all been champions? I think ive read that somewhere, so open to be corrected. 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Haven't our academy players u/17, Youth and u/21 all been champions? I think ive read that somewhere, so open to be corrected. 

Alot of them have left the club as they wanted first team football....and some have done better than others. 

Just a few examples of our academy graduates:

Reece, Mason, Gallagher, Livramento (Southampton), Tammy (Roma), Solanke (Bournemouth), Tomori (AC Milan), Guehi (Crystal Palace), Gilmour (Brighton), Colwill (on loan at Brighton), Musiala (Bayern). 

I changed the title of the thread because there should be discussion of the academy. Good, bad, or indifferent. I think the model the owners are going to be using will be to bring the most talented youth to the academy or secure their contracts for the future from countries that would not allow them to leave before 18.

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Off to watch the under 21's in PL2 action today v Boro

How Richards did on first start?

9 hours ago, lucio said:

Enjoy boss. Let us know who plays well

Castledine as usual. 1g 2a. Can he be our Odegaard? Mount and Gallagher never had creativity for that. 

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Castledine as usual. 1g 2a. Can he be our Odegaard? Mount and Gallagher never had creativity for that. 

They both did this a lot in youth football. It’s whether he can make it at the next level as well. Definitely talented though

On 23/02/2024 at 10:42, lucio said:

Enjoy boss. Let us know who plays well

Absolute carbon copy of the first team for 75 minutes, slow, no urgency, sloppy and generally shite. Castledine and Washington came on and made a massive difference as people started taking risks and being direct as opposed to fanny about with the ball.

Had a good chat with Washington after the game, what a wonderful down to earth lad he is, managed to also speak with all the players and Mark Tinkler.

• 2 weeks later...

(Video): “If I had long hair…” – Academy defender make a great point about perceptions

https://Chelsea.news/2024/03/video-if-i-had-long-hair-academy-defender-make-a-great-point-about-perceptions/

Alfie Gilchrist has just done a fun mini interview with Chelsea TV where they ask about his image as a no-nonsense hardman defender.

He pointed out that that was probably as much to do with his hair as anything.

“If I had long hair, probably no-one would be saying that,” he said, quite correctly. He’s leant into that reputation though, and already has some crunching tackles and blocks in his highlight reel.

With so many defenders out injured for Monday night and two games to play next week, we may yet get more Gilchrist action in the next 7 days.

You can see the defender speaking in the clip embedded here: