27. Malo Gusto

ZAPHOD2319

Very good signing and decent business pulling the trigger early. We might well have the two best RBs in the world at some point in the future.

Tbh have not seen that much of the guy live but in his every touch vids he looks very comfortable in defence&offense even vs teams like PSG at just 19.

7 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Very good signing and decent business pulling the trigger early. We might well have the two best RBs in the world at some point in the future.

Tbh have not seen that much of the guy live but in his every touch vids he looks very comfortable in defence&offense even vs teams like PSG at just 19.

Big emphasis on might. Hopefully yes but let the guy come in first and we will see what he’s all about. As long as he’s more than good enough he doesn’t have to be one of the very best considering he will likely be a back up/rotation player.

I must admit though, I do like the profile in terms of his age and from what I’ve seen he has athleticism and decent technical attributes. Just hopeful that he finishes the season strong in France, comes here and isn’t overawed by the PL. 

Granted he won’t be first choice but there is definitely scope for a good bit of game time here I would think - although if it means moving James to DM like some people have suggested, I will be disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Malo Gusto: Lyon offer positive injury update on Chelsea’s £26m January signing

https://absolutechelsea.com/malo-gusto-lyon-offer-injury-update-lille-laurent-blanc-Chelsea/2968/

Chelsea have received an injury update from Lyon manager Laurent Blanc on the fitness of new signing Malo Gusto after he was forced off through injury.

The 19-year-old was replaced by Castello Lukeba just after the half hour mark in France on Wednesday night during their Round of 16 Coupe de France clash against LOSC Lille, which Lyon won 4-2 on penalties to progress after it ended 2-2 in normal time.

When Gusto was replaced and holding his hamstring, Chelsea would have expressed concern for their January signing who was acquired, loaned back to Lyon for the rest of the season, to provide cover and competition for Reece James who has just returned from a knee injury.

However, Blanc confirmed it’s not a major problem for the teenager and Gusto was replaced as a precaution.

As quoted by L’Equipe, the Lyon boss said: “It’s a pain he’s been feeling for some time. It’s not a big problem, but it bothers him physically and mentally. 

“We will try to treat him well… I don’t think it will take too long, but it has to be done.”

It leaves the right-back as a doubt for Sunday’s clash against Lens. 

Chelsea’s injury concerns are also reducing back at Cobham. James, Ben Chilwell and Raheem Sterling made their first appearances against Fulham last week since returning from injury, while Denis Zakaria and Wesley Fofana have both re-joined the group in training.

Potter and Co will be hoping Gusto gets back to fitness quickly and available for selection to help Lyon in the run-in for the final months of the Ligue 1 season.

• 2 months later...

After signing him, he immediately got injured for 3 months.

He returned to the pitch Today, subbed in for 10 minutes against Marseille, he scored and own goal in the 91th minute, which made Marseille won 2-1..  😂 On more player to arrive in great physical and mental condition.

• 3 months later...
On 28/07/2023 at 04:30, James said:

Lol, is that clip supposed to be an example of superb 1 on 1 defending? That dude passed the ball to Malo, nothing to do with actual defending.

Edited by manpe

5 minutes ago, manpe said:

Lol, is that clip supposed to be an example of superb 1 on 1 defending? That dude passed the ball to Malo, nothing to do with actual defending.

Yeah. Would expect most players to take the ball there. Even if they had one leg and were blindfolded.  

Edited by OneMoSalah

Impressed me immensely during preseason. Really looking forward to seeing him in the side. I would genuinely like to see Reece in midfield at some stage, his Wigan days were not a one off, weirdly I feel sometimes he is wasted at RB, when fit.. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“It hurts” – Chelsea player reacts to insults from former club’s fans amid ‘complicated’ situation

https://sportwitness.co.uk/hurts-Chelsea-player-reacts-insults-former-clubs-fans-amid-complicated-situation/

Signed by Chelsea in January and then loaned back to Lyon for the second half of the season, Malo Gusto is now a fully fledged Blues player.

The 20-year-old has played in all four Premier League games to date and picked up two assists, and while his current team’s start to the season could be far better, it certainly isn’t as bad as his former one’s.

Lyon currently sit rock bottom of Ligue 1, which has caused a lot of discontent among the fanbase, with some of the younger players who have left, including Gusto, being insulted by fans during the 4-1 loss to Paris Saint-Germain at the weekend, to which the Chelsea player has since reacted.

Currently with the France U21 squad, Gusto was asked about the events at the weekend, which he witnessed first hand since he was at the stadium to watch his former team.

The incident happened after the game, as the players went to clap the fans in the north stand, when the leader of the Bad Gones, the team’s ultras, grabbed a microphone and directly addressed the players.

During his speech, he called three players a word we won’t repeat here, indirectly talking about Castello Lukeba, Bradley Barcola and Malo Gusto, who all left Lyon for good this summer for RB Leipzig, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea respectively.

In fact, the second on that list came on for his new club during the game and was booed by his former fans.

Asked about the situation in a press conference on Tuesday for France’s U21s, the Chelsea defender said: “The situation is complicated, but I hope it will get sorted out because it’s the club of my heart. Bradley is a close friend. I feel sorry for him. Everyone tried to take a road. I can understand the frustration of fans, but for it to go that far, it hurts. We come from Lyon, but that’s football, we have to accept it.”