Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Yep, he's been sloppy in that goal... but at least Azpili is back on form. He's made a flawless match.

Iva needs to put more effort defensively... his actions in the attack can't make up for his shortcomings defensively. I admit I jumped on his bandwagon, but I think it's a matter of him fixing his positioning, putting more effort, I wouldn't call for his head yet. He just needs to balance his game more.

I don't know about the CB thing. I prefer him as a FB and I've been having some problems with Cahill (I lost account of how many times he backtracked from the City players today instead of going towards them), so it could be a nice change, but Iva does seem a bit sloppy now marking. So wouldn't it be exchanging six for half a dozen? If he isn't focused on defending all the time, then he could cause problems in the center defense even worse than he one he causes in the flank. He needs to get his shit together, regardless of where he plays.

Yep, he's been sloppy in that goal... but at least Azpili is back on form. He's made a flawless match.

Iva needs to put more effort defensively... his actions in the attack can't make up for his shortcomings defensively. I admit I jumped on his bandwagon, but I think it's a matter of him fixing his positioning, putting more effort, I wouldn't call for his head yet. He just needs to balance his game more.

I don't know about the CB thing. I prefer him as a FB and I've been having some problems with Cahill (I lost account of how many times he backtracked from the City players today instead of going towards them), so it could be a nice change, but Iva does seem a bit sloppy now marking. So wouldn't it be exchanging six for half a dozen? If he isn't focused on defending all the time, then he could cause problems in the center defense even worse than he one he causes in the flank. He needs to get his shit together, regardless of where he plays.

Well Azpilicueta has been by far our best defender this season. I hate to imagine what would happen if he was playing as poor as Ivanovic. *shudders*

I think come January the team will look a bit like this

Courtois

Dave - Cahill - Ivanovic / Terry - Filipe

Matic

Oscar Fabregas

Ramires / Schurrle Hazard

Costa

I think that's our strongest possible lineup, Ivanovic has just been too poor defensively so far

So I read Ivanovic is poor at defending, but good in attack, yet you would put him from RB into CB place? I would expect to shift him on wing then, not central defence. :P

But yeah, hes been poor in defence in few games now.

So I read Ivanovic is poor at defending, but good in attack, yet you would put him from RB into CB place? I would expect to shift him on wing then, not central defence. :P

But yeah, hes been poor in defence in few games now.

:P misworded that haha

He's good at defending, just never actually... you know, defends.

Schurrle makes one defensive mistake and gets singled out in the post-match interview by Jose. Ivanovic regularly makes many mistakes including not tracking Lampard, but continues to play every game (even though we have 2 better FBs) and is never criticised. A liability yet also undroppable for some reason.

Ivanovic must have blackmailed Mourinho with some nude pictures or something.

Seems clear that Ivanovic is one of Mourinho's untouchables right now. If it was any other player, he would have been dropped instantly the minute he makes one mistake and yet Ivanovic continues to start at RB and makes mistake after mistake after mistake!

Ivanovic must have blackmailed Mourinho with some nude pictures or something.

Seems clear that Ivanovic is one of Mourinho's untouchables right now. If it was any other player, he would have been dropped instantly the minute he makes one mistake and yet Ivanovic continues to start at RB and makes mistake after mistake after mistake!

iva's performance last night was hopeless. accepted.

but i thought he was starting at RB cos he has been one of our best players this season so far.

With more direct players like Schurrle and Willian playing on the right, we could afford to have FB sitting deep and not overlapping unlike the left flanks where Hazard really gets into the game when he has a supporting LB. Seems like Jose is getting this wrong in the FB department.

Azpi sitting deep on the right with Luis getting higher up to compliment Hazard might work as the perfect system. Ivanovic should either be benched or moved to CB.

You have all had your questions answered in the Burnley post match comments by Carragher and Neville - Jose won't even think about dropping Ivanovic because he is a monster at set pieces. Carragher even said that it is so hard to mark Brana at corners or long free kicks, he is like a rock. Set pieces (both attacking and defensive) are something special in Jose's philosophy and he would lose an important asset if he would bench Ivanovic.

You have all had your questions answered in the Burnley post match comments by Carragher and Neville - Jose won't even think about dropping Ivanovic because he is a monster at set pieces. Carragher even said that it is so hard to mark Brana at corners or long free kicks, he is like a rock. Set pieces (both attacking and defensive) are something special in Jose's philosophy and he would lose an important asset if he would bench Ivanovic.

Then play him next to Costa up top!

Call me traditional, but I like my defensive players to actually defend...

The problem right now is that he gets forward a bit too often and doesn't get back fast enough. I'm fine with him at RB and going forward just that he needs to find that balance. He is also sticks to Cahill a bit too much instead of closing down the winger. I too would prefer to keep him in the team just because of his set piece threat but if his offensive output doesn't match up to his defensive work we might need a change.

He's really not that vital to set pieces. He helps but we have Terry, Cahill, Costa, Matic, as well as Luis who could more than hold his own in defending them. He is first and foremost a defender and I don't understand why he is constantly forgiven for making basic mistakes, positional ones and switching off. Hazard and Schurrle have been publicly criticised by Jose for doing so but they're wingers. This is Ivanovic's job FFS but he provides an outball (our goal kicks are regularly aimed at him) so he will probably never be dropped. I even expect him to play against Bolton tbh. Sigh.