Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

He's definitely been working on his crosses, we saw that in preseason and we saw that against Burnley.

I'm not going to jump on the Ivanovic wankfest just yet, mind you. Still believe Dave is the way to go, would be so unfair to drop him (it would also be harsh to drop Branna, I know I know)

He was fanatastic yersterday and a motm candidate for sure but what I want to know is, was his pass to fabregas a fluke or intended. There's no way he has that type of vision as it was a late run by cesc that only a player with excellent vision could have spotted.

He was fanatastic yersterday and a motm candidate for sure but what I want to know is, was his pass to fabregas a fluke or intended. There's no way he has that type of vision as it was a late run by cesc that only a player with excellent vision could have spotted.

you mean for Schurrle's goal? Of course it was intended imo. He was ready to cross, then he saw Cesc raising his hand and passed to him. there wasn't anywhere near enough to Cesc for him to have aimed someone else, unless you mean another pass? Also I don't think it needs to have an excellent vision to spot that... it's what Choulo said, once you raise your head and look around before crossing, you know where it's better to put the ball. I'm not discrediting him, but I don't think it was a case of excellent vision, it was a case of very good vision imo. On Costa's goal I think it was a case we could say it was a fluke as it didn't seem like he was aiming to the goal, just what would have been a really bad cross, but things worked out.

The pass was clearly intended. Cesc was actively asking for the ball, so I don't think it was hard to spot him, considering that there weren't people around him.

I'm pretty sure it was a cross that hit the post.

It came from Brana via a deflection from a Burnley player and onto the post.

AliveSlimyIcefish.gif

There you go. Rebound on the post. The angle doesn't help much though. It may have been deflect but the goal wouldn't have happened if not for Iva, and that's what matters.

Good to see against the lesser teams he's gained that ability to link up well and put in a good ball however can't see him playing that high up against other teams we were caught out numerous times on the right side

you mean for Schurrle's goal? Of course it was intended imo. He was ready to cross, then he saw Cesc raising his hand and passed to him. there wasn't anywhere near enough to Cesc for him to have aimed someone else, unless you mean another pass? Also I don't think it needs to have an excellent vision to spot that... it's what Choulo said, once you raise your head and look around before crossing, you know where it's better to put the ball. I'm not discrediting him, but I don't think it was a case of excellent vision, it was a case of very good vision imo. On Costa's goal I think it was a case we could say it was a fluke as it didn't seem like he was aiming to the goal, just what would have been a really bad cross, but things worked out.

The pass was clearly intended. Cesc was actively asking for the ball, so I don't think it was hard to spot him, considering that there weren't people around him.

I see where you two are coming from.

Either way i'm delighted with the way he has started the new season and I know for a fact that the Brana of last season wouldn't have spotted that run and nevermind actually executing the pass accurately. He must have been working on his offensive game in training.

Someone mentioned here or on the match thread (I won't look for it now) that all dangerous Burnley attack attempts came from his side implying - or directly saying, I can't remember - that it was because Iva was bombing forward to support the attack. Wrong and wrong.

As I just said on Oscar's thread, I re-watched the first half and I paid close attention to what could have been our shortcomings when defending and you know what I realize in like 4 out 5 Burnley attacks from their left? Iva was all by himself to mark whoever was there. Schurrle wasn't there most time and neither was one between Matic and Fàbregas. So it seems like an automatic conclusion to 'blame' Ivanovic offensive inclination in the match for the easier route Burnely found on that side, but except when Oscar was on that side of the pitch (and he didn't spend a lot of time there), many times Matic, Schurrle, Hazard (according to his heat map he stayed more in the right than in the left for some reason) and Fàbregas were in the middle or in the left or even coming back from the attack and there was only Iva with Cahill behind him.

Burnley had two strikers and at some point even SkySports broadcast highlighted them and they were both closer to the left wing - exactly Iva's side. But not even in one of those attacks Iva was out of position, but in most of them (although they weren't many) he was all by himself.

It's early days and I'm sure Mourinho will fix our positioning, especially in the defense, but as I said in the fullbacks thread I think maybe we'll have a small problem to fix. With a team more intended on attacking fast and with a lot of people involved, keeping possession and exchanging fast, short passes, maybe it exposes a little bit the defense and I'm not entirely convinced JT/Cahill work that well with less coverage. JT is slow and Cahill, although much more composed these days, is still flustered and unsure on the ball. Off the ball he's much better than on the ball. So he may tackle, for example, and then get rid of the ball in any way because he doesn't feel that confident if the opposition players are somewhere near him. If with the tackle he gets the ball away or stays with the ball and leaves his opponent behind, he's excellent, but in any other situation he doesn't look confident. And although I didn't catch any particular compromising mistake by him the lack of someone else around him and Iva (as he plays in the right side of the defense most times) resulted in what we saw. A team with a little bit more quality attacking than Burnley could have explored that much better.

It's nice to have the little triangles of Oscar, Fàbregas and Matic moving around the pitch and I don't think it compromises the defense, as long as at all times one of three stays a bit behind, especially towards the right as at least with Azpilicueta in the left, our LB will rarely be much high in the pitch...

I wouldn't change a thing about the way Iva played and if Iva and Luís play together, I think they'll take turns supporting the attack and that's how it should be, but as Oscar is alternating with the pivot players, one among our three midfielders should hold position a little bit more. I'm not even talking about the big teams here, as I don't expect us to approach big teams the way we did Monday. But teams such as Newcastle, Villa, Southampton, and maybe even Everton (I say even because I expect Mourinho to keep the same approach against them) will require more attention from us in that aspect.

Unbelievable. He's been our best player in the season's two matches. He's been the one that was superb both matches and his contributions in the attack are awesome and he's a beast in the defense as well. Such a great player! Amazing, amazing, amazing. I really love Iva - o mito - and it makes my heart burst in joy to see him playing his best football in a while right now. Hope he carries it on for all the season, but there's no way this man is leaving the starting eleven. He's been fantastic and some more.