Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

It really is remarkable that some at the highest level cannot perform even the most basic of footballing tasks - which is made yet more amazing when the player is a central midfielder (*cough* Ramires). With Sagna, I've definitely seen him deliver in some very good crosses, but do you think there is actually a less technically able RB in the league than Ivanovic?

Ramires technique really is shocking for a midfielder.

In regards to the question in bold, Chris smalling runs ivanovic very close. but in their defence, they are centre backs who have been converted to full backs for some strange reason. To me it's not so much the lack of technical ability because I have seen plenty of technically limited players get the basics right consistently i,e players like Oshea, Belletti,neville et al. what does my head in is the realisation that Ivanovic's crossing and overall offensive game isn't going to get any better due to his lack of scope for development.

Ramires technique really is shocking for a midfielder.

In regards to the question in bold, Chris smalling runs ivanovic very close. but in their defence, they are centre backs who have been converted to full backs for some strange reason. To me it's not so much the lack of technical ability because I have seen plenty of technically limited players get the basics right consistently i,e players like Oshea, Belletti,neville et al. what does my head in is the realisation that Ivanovic's crossing and overall offensive game isn't going to get any better due to his lack of scope for development.

We're moving a bit off topic here, but Belletti technically limited? :blink:

I think we play better with Azpi at RB. :( Ivanovic kills all our attacks.

Yeah right,but this would mean we have to play Cole who doesn't offer much more offensively on LB than Ivanovic on RB.Also the partnership between Azpi and Hazard seems to get better every game.Cesar helps Eddie a lot for example his well timed overlapping which gives the Belgian space to cut inside and shoot.That's something you won't see from Ashley.

He's been consistently poor for such a ridiculous amount of time now... Years, to be honest. He gets beaten too easily on the flank and is frequently caught out of position when oppositions try stuff like one-twos as we saw countless times yesterday with Januzaj. Honestly, I don't really get what Jose sees in him over Azpilicueta. He definitely bombs forward much more than Cesar, but the final contribution that each player gives to our attacking moves is probably equal, since Branislav's crossing is atrocious and Cesar's is not too bad. I get that Bran is a much more physical player, with his heading ability etc but he gets the simple stuff wrong so often that it's just mind-boggling to me how he's a starter at RB.

Strength and aerial threat. You need someone upfront to bring down aerial passes from Cech. Sad, but that's the truth when you no longer possess a target-man up front. A target-man would also make more of the below par crosses that come from Ivanovic

Same shit here, nothing has changed. Thank fuck ya all are managing the club and Jose Mourinho is a forum member.

This is a forum, I don't know what else you expect other that people giving their opinions about the club. I get that there can be a lot of over-reactions and things like that but just because you don't agree with posts doesn't mean the other person's arguments aren't valid. And it's just opinions after all, it's not as if what anyone is stating is fact. Don't get what you want in a forum other than discussion?

Strength and aerial threat. You need someone upfront to bring down aerial passes from Cech. Sad, but that's the truth when you no longer possess a target-man up front. A target-man would also make more of the below par crosses that come from Ivanovic

Yep I acknowledged Bran's superior physical ability, just feel that the negatives outweigh the positives regarding him.

Also I wouldn't really blame our strikers (i know you're not blaming them either) for not making more out of his crosses, since his are so horrendously off target and aimed at absolutely no one in particular. He just gets the ball on the flank and just hoofs it in basically.

I'm intrigued to see Jose's ultimate plan: does he plan to convert Azpi to a LB, does he aim to bring in a top-class LB in the summer to be a starter (pretty much guaranteed to happen) and keep Bertrand as a back-up and whether Ivanovic will continue to be our starting RB or will he switch to Azpi once that happens.

Thankfully the current dilemma in those two positions isn't hurting us that much as the players are still doing a competent job no matter who of Ashley, Cesar and Bran is chosen to start.

Hopefuly that will change with Matic in midfield and us having normal full backs...

I think he had his best game for us against stoke. I thought he'll destroy every single attack we had with terrible crossing but he was passing better for a change. He even tried a silky dribble and it came off. I hope he's changing for good and not crossing all our attacks to drogba at galatasaray.

Yeah, Iva is still a giant wall of iron when he's able to keep the attacker in front of him. There isn't a single player in football that's gonna get the best of him physically. It's just when he lets a super pacey player run past him that's the issue defensively.

Can see why José still prefers him in there, but at the same time it is immensely frustrating when he can't cross it properly. There have been matches this season where he's had more of the ball than anyone on our team down the right side and he just doesn't have that quality in his locker to make teams pay.

Still love him.

A very decent squad player to have but I really can't understand why Mourinho plays him so much. I'm sure most fans would prefer to see Azpi at RB over Ivanovic. IMO he's a greater liability than Cole in recent times given how often he gives the ball away and breaks down the attack due to his lack of ability on the ball. He even struggles to make proper clearances. I also feel he cuts inside far too often, offering very little width and adventure whatsoever. You will never see him take a player on to open space for others. He just doesn't suit the RB position and while he does offer a greater physical presence I think Azpi's more advanced defensive and offensive abilities should warrant the Spaniard a place in the starting eleven instead.