Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

This is it. Ivanovic should not be such an important part of our attack. He is not a good crosser of the ball but neither really is Azplicueta who is only slightly better than Ivanovic in this regard. Also, unlike other teams, we don't have attackers who are great in the air so even good crosses are almost all won by defenders who are taller and stronger. There is also almost never anyone overlapping with him to create space or give him another outlet because whoever is on the right will always drift into the middle. We also don't have attackers making runs towards the goal. Instead, we have a whole bunch of players standing static in attacking areas waiting to be picked out by perfect passes. Spending about 250 million pounds on attackers in the last 3 years, and you're expecting central midfield to provide your offense?

Azpi is a much better crosser of the ball than Ivanovic. He's also good at linking up with our AM's

Well if the central midfield can't provide the link between defence and attack, it doesn't matter how much you spend on attackers.

Azpi is a much better crosser of the ball than Ivanovic. He's also good at linking up with our AM's

Well if the central midfield can't provide the link between defence and attack, it doesn't matter how much you spend on attackers.

I am so sick of this simplistic and reductive nonsense. Blaming our deficiencies in attack entirely on the central midfield is absurd but people keep doing it. It's like people don't even watch the games they just have this belief and stick to it. Our attackers get the ball a lot and they get the ball in the attacking zone a lot. Against WBA, Our attacking players had literally hundreds of touches and aside from one Hazard move and shot, they practically did nothing with them. Yes, our central midfield could be a lot better at moving the ball but our attacking midfield and strikers have to shoulder most of the blame when our attack fails. One player can be isolated and unable to do anything, but four players? They have to be able to create space and chances without relying on the central midfield to dictate the offense. That's never going to happen. We need a player who can switch play up and pick out passes from the centre but even then, it will be up the attackers to score. Attackers have to create space and chances. (BTW, our central midfield has as many assists as our attacking midfield this season.). Watch a replay of the WBA game or any game where we struggle offensively and you can see what complete disarray our attack is in. Look how slowly the attackers move the ball (even slower than the central midfield in general). Look how they provide no width. How they stand around aimlessly waiting for god knows what. Look how they try to create things entirely on their own. I get it, we need to upgrade central midfield. We all know that, but it's gotten to the point where almost every chance against and every failed attack is blamed on the central midfield and it's completely divorced from reality.

This is it. Ivanovic should not be such an important part of our attack. He is not a good crosser of the ball but neither really is Azplicueta who is only slightly better than Ivanovic in this regard. Also, unlike other teams, we don't have attackers who are great in the air so even good crosses are almost all won by defenders who are taller and stronger. There is also almost never anyone overlapping with him to create space or give him another outlet because whoever is on the right will always drift into the middle. We also don't have attackers making runs towards the goal. Instead, we have a whole bunch of players standing static in attacking areas waiting to be picked out by perfect passes. Spending about 250 million pounds on attackers in the last 3 years, and you're expecting the RB and central midfield to provide your offense?

You do realize that there is more to an offensive back then crossing right ? I agree with being to static but this doesn't just aply to our AM's or our striker. The entire team is far to static and doesn't really seem to have a clue where to run or what to do.

Well i expect my RB and Central midfield to support the attack .

I am so sick of this simplistic and reductive nonsense. Blaming our deficiencies in attack entirely on the central midfield is absurd but people keep doing it. It's like people don't even watch the games they just have this belief and stick to it. Our attackers get the ball a lot and they get the ball in the attacking zone a lot. Against WBA, Our attacking players had literally hundreds of touches and aside from one Hazard move and shot, they practically did nothing with them. Yes, our central midfield could be a lot better at moving the ball but our attacking midfield and strikers have to shoulder most of the blame when our attack fails. One player can be isolated and unable to do anything, but four players? They have to be able to create space and chances without relying on the central midfield to dictate the offense. That's never going to happen. We need a player who can switch play up and pick out passes from the centre but even then, it will be up the attackers to score. Attackers have to create space and chances. (BTW, our central midfield has as many assists as our attacking midfield this season.). Watch a replay of the WBA game or any game where we struggle offensively and you can see what complete disarray our attack is in. Look how slowly the attackers move the ball (even slower than the central midfield in general). Look how they provide no width. How they stand around aimlessly waiting for god knows what. Look how they try to create things entirely on their own. I get it, we need to upgrade central midfield. We all know that, but it's gotten to the point where almost every chance against and every failed attack is blamed on the central midfield and it's completely divorced from reality.

Well that's because in the final third it's a lot more congested and more dificult to pass the ball.

I agree that they don't provide much width but we're playing with inside forwards not wingers. It's up to the right back and left back to exploit the space when the defenders go with the AM inside.

I agree with you that we shouldn't blame everything on our CM's and our LB and RB but blaming everything on our AM's isn't fair either.

You do realize that there is more to an offensive back then crossing right ? I agree with being to static but this doesn't just aply to our AM's or our striker. The entire team is far to static and doesn't really seem to have a clue where to run or what to do.

Well i expect my RB and Central midfield to support the attack .

They do support the attack. In fact, our RB and central midfield get more involved in the attack than most teams. When Ivanovic is attacking on the right, there should be someone overlapping him but there almost never is. There should be players making runs at the front post but there almost never is. When Lampard or Ramires get the ball, there should be players spread out all over the pitch, moving in different directions to give them options, not 4 attackers within 15 feet of each other standing still. No, it's not all our attackers' fault for not scoring more, but it is more their fault than anyone else's. They get the glory when they score and get the blame when they don't.

They do support the attack. In fact, our RB and central midfield get more involved in the attack than most teams. When Ivanovic is attacking on the right, there should be someone overlapping him but there almost never is. There should be players making runs at the front post but there almost never is. When Lampard or Ramires get the ball, there should be players spread out all over the pitch, moving in different directions to give them options, not 4 attackers within 15 feet of each other standing still. No, it's not all our attackers' fault for not scoring more, but it is more their fault than anyone else's. They get the glory when they score and get the blame when they don't.

Well most teams don't face teams who play with 10 behind the ball ,on their own half. When i mean support i mean efficiently support the attack. Ivanovic was making runs forward but can you honestly tell me that you were happy with the way he attacked ?

He was constantly checking his runs waiting for the ball to come to then cross it but he's crossing the ball from 25-30 yards out but he needs to make runs and continue his run untill he reaches the goalline. He needs to try and get in behind the defence.

Bolded part: Think you got that backwards, Ivanovic is supposed to overlap. When the AMR has the ball and moves inside that's when Ivanovic needs to make his run, that's when he needs to overlap. Then either 1 of the 2 players covering our AMR needs to pick up the run from Ivanovic which leaves our AMR 1 on 1 or if they don't pick up Ivanovic in time then Ivanovic can get the ball reach the goal line cross the ball in and actually cause some trouble.

About Lampard and Ramires well neither of them is very usefull against teams that park the bus. Both aren't really good at finding people in space. I'm really wondering what you think they are doing to support the attack ?

Only thing i see them doing is just sit back and pass the balls sideways.

I do expect more from our AM's but i also expect more from our LB, RB and CM's.

Well most teams don't face teams who play with 10 behind the ball ,on their own half. When i mean support i mean efficiently support the attack. Ivanovic was making runs forward but can you honestly tell me that you were happy with the way he attacked ?

He was constantly checking his runs waiting for the ball to come to then cross it but he's crossing the ball from 25-30 yards out but he needs to make runs and continue his run untill he reaches the goalline. He needs to try and get in behind the defence.

Bolded part: Think you got that backwards, Ivanovic is supposed to overlap. When the AMR has the ball and moves inside that's when Ivanovic needs to make his run, that's when he needs to overlap. Then either 1 of the 2 players covering our AMR needs to pick up the run from Ivanovic which leaves our AMR 1 on 1 or if they don't pick up Ivanovic in time then Ivanovic can get the ball reach the goal line cross the ball in and actually cause some trouble.

About Lampard and Ramires well neither of them is very usefull against teams that park the bus. Both aren't really good at finding people in space. I'm really wondering what you think they are doing to support the attack ?

Only thing i see them doing is just sit back and pass the balls sideways.

I do expect more from our AM's but i also expect more from our LB, RB and CM's.

Ivanovic is supposed to overlap which he does very well but so is whoever is on the right. There should be constant movement to create space. What's he supposed to do when he gets the ball in a dangerous crossing position on the right? Pass it back to the central midfield? No, I'm not happy with his crossing, but overall, I am pretty happy with his play this year. He's actually having a pretty good season and if he were 22 people would be calling him the best RB in the Premier League. Lampard and Ramires are always involved in the offense. They are often more dangerous offensively than our attacking midfielders. With Mata on the bench, they are probably our two best finishers. Lampard leads the team in assists. etc... Lampard still has very good attacking vision, Ramires' runs into the box open up space for the entire attack, And Lampard is actually pretty decent in finding people in space except our attackers generally have no space and don't make any runs. Asking your central midfielders to regularly deliver perfect passes into traffic is absurd. Nobody is going to ever do that. Attackers have to create their own space for others to find them and they aren't. Ramires and Lampard have been doing more than their fair share lifting the offensive load.

Ivanovic is supposed to overlap which he does very well but so is whoever is on the right. There should be constant movement to create space. What's he supposed to do when he gets the ball in a dangerous crossing position on the right? Pass it back to the central midfield? No, I'm not happy with his crossing, but overall, I am pretty happy with his play this year. He's actually having a pretty good season and if he were 22 people would be calling him the best RB in the Premier League. Lampard and Ramires are always involved in the offense. They are often more dangerous offensively than our attacking midfielders. With Mata on the bench, they are probably our two best finishers. Lampard leads the team in assists. etc... Lampard still has very good attacking vision, Ramires' runs into the box open up space for the entire attack, And Lampard is actually pretty decent in finding people in space except our attackers generally have no space and don't make any runs. Asking your central midfielders to regularly deliver perfect passes into traffic is absurd. Nobody is going to ever do that. Attackers have to create their own space for others to find them and they aren't. Ramires and Lampard have been doing more than their fair share lifting the offensive load.

Really don't agree with a lot of what your saying. Best to just agree to disagree cause i don't think we're gonna settle this.

absolutely no one to cross to ? in recent times, all i've seen is Ivanovic try to run forward, lose the ball under little pressure..and then suddenly the opposition counter with Ramires, Willian tracking back

You probably expect Hazard or Oscar to win aerial balls against Olsson and McCauley.

Its actually sad to see Chelsea play with two wingers, but none of them except maybe Schürrle when he is on the pitch, plays wide. All I've seen is us trying to break the opponent through the midfield in an area of 20-30 meters congested with half of our team and 8-9 their players, so that makes it maybe 15 players in the space of 30 meters. There is no way to pass the ball through all these legs. We tend to overcomplicate things, especially Hazard does that.

And in all this mess the only Chelsea player that stays wide and gives an option is Ivanovic. Then again, when he receives the ball, even David Beckam's crosses wouldn't be enough for a goal.

I'm not saying he's great in doing it, but he is decent and if he had Drogba and ANelka on the pitch he'd be on around 10 assists per season.

• 3 weeks later...

Frustratingly he has started to put in better crosses but then lets himself down with that simple ball over the top for Salah's goal. Maybe he should've been deeper but unfortunately when you've got someone with Salah's pace it's going to be tough to make up that ground.

Could definitely see him dropped for Southampton, but that leaves us with a couple of other issues.

Hoofball is soccer on horseback and like any other soccer game, the objective is to get the ball between your opposition's goal posts more often than your opponent. It is slower than traditional mounted games with the optimum speed being a trot as this is the pace best suited for horses kicking the balls. The emphasis of the game is fun and communication with the horse.

Highly recommended for Ivan to study.

Frustratingly he has started to put in better crosses but then lets himself down with that simple ball over the top for Salah's goal. Maybe he should've been deeper but unfortunately when you've got someone with Salah's pace it's going to be tough to make up that ground.

Could definitely see him dropped for Southampton, but that leaves us with a couple of other issues.

I remember Cech in mentioning the post-match interview that they were waiting for De Bruyne to come on and take his position but Basel was quick to play on. Not an excuse, though. We do expect a great deal more of awareness from our first choice RB.