Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

For me he's still 3rd choice CB and 2nd choice RB so I'd bite their hands off Suarez-style if that offer was even close to being true (£17 million would probably be good enough in all honesty).

Whatever happens we still need to sign a centre-back this summer and it would be tempting to take that £25 million and put in an offer for Varane straight away.

3rd choice? Behind Luiz and who?

3rd choice? Behind Luiz and who?

Unfortunately no-one. We need to buy a strong centre-back to play alongside Luiz (if that role doesn't go back to JT) which means Cahill, Ivanovic and JT are essentially back-ups.

So strictly speaking at the moment, he probably isn't 3rd choice but that would almost certainly be his role going into next season.

Yeah, reports in France are actually quite lively about this one. Seems to be substance. They (Monaco) originally wanted Vidic but it didn't happen. They're now chasing Ivanovic & N'Koulou I believe as well as PSG's Sakho but I think he's unlikely to leave.

I'd sell him for even £17m so go for it.

£25m is a lot for a 29 years-old player ; £25m is a lot for a defender ; £25m is a lot for a player who didn't have a good season ; £25m is a lot for a player who's starting to regress.... In other words, that's a lot of money for Ivanovic.

On the one hand, he didn't have a good season at all, and considering his age, we can assume that's the "beginning of the end". On the other hand, as TOP2B said, the serbian is only the third choice ; and we really need a first choice CB to partner Luiz for the forthcoming years.

So, if this rumor is true (which I doubt, because the source is the Daily Mail, and because the only French sources reporting that are unreliable (those are website in the mould of goal.com) and are quoting DM), then we should bit their hand off. This is a golden deal for us. We will probably never be proposed something like this for one of players, let alone for Ivanovic. Therefore, considering all the aforementioned facts, we should sell him, and with the money we can reinvest this money on someone of the likes of Varane or Subotic (which would been great additions to our squad).