Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

What did happen to him, seriously ? His level has gone south, really. He turns out to be a liability within the defence. As BluesMaster points out, he is way too much passive in his marking. He gives too much space, time and freedom to his opponents. For instance, what the fuck was he doing on the second goal today ?! He was sleeping, thus leaving a very good opportunity for Tevez to shoot — and with a striker of its caliber, such a lax is punished. Too many times he is found out of position ; too many times he stays standing still while gazing at the foe passing him by ; too many times he recklessly pass the ball.

And I'd like to point another thing out. At the very end of the first half, we had a throw-in near the box. What did you do ? Threw the ball directly in the box. That was a stupid thing to do. If my memories serve me right, there was only Ba there. And even if there were more players, that would be a stupid thing to do. Indeed, bar Ba, all of our players are more or less small and against Man.City's players they do not represents an aerial threat. I know that in itself it does not mean a lot — though, it is just another example which suggests us that his mind is not totally focussed on the game.

And what's with his divings ? Once again today he did it (when he was "touched" by Zabaletta, I think, on the sideline).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, his attitude has become too much casual. Ivanovic, you need to quit that behaviour, we're not thugs in the street.

I honestly think he needs to be dropped for a couple of games, to get the message across...

He wasnt that bad today (i.e. pass that lead to our penalty was quite brilliant), compared to some other performances. But the fact is his stability and consistency has gone in the wrong direction: he's becoming consistently bad. Likewise our whole defence. I am not so much worried because I'm certain when the right manager comes in he will pick up and start producing again. A season to forget, simply.

• 2 weeks later...
"We must be honest and admit that things are not going the way we expected. We do not play our football and it needs to change - quickly," said Ivanovic.

"Our time is running out, we need to find out more character and restore the fighting spirit we have lost."

Comparison to last season, When Chelsea finished with winning the Champions League, he said: "The team needs to do exactly the same, the task is not easy because every game is going to be hard than the last." On United, banished from Europe because of controversial judgment decision, Ivanovic said: "It is always disappointing to be eliminated at this stage and in this way. United will come with more motivation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously, is there even any purpose in playing Ivanovic these days? He has become so passive and rubbish in his defending that it's ridiculous!

The first goal conceded today demonstrated that. Was clear that Southampton wanted to play the 1-2 and what did he do? Stepped out and caught ball watching Steven Davis on the ball. No pressure, no nothing and allowed Rodriguez to get into that space vacated behind him to score. Such a simple and pathetic goal to concede! Heck, there even a few incidents where he got turned over so easily by Rodriguez, Lambert etc later on. He's getting absolutely atrocious! At this rate, he should probably be one of the players that need to be sold come the summer!

One word I used to describe Brana in the past was 'solid'. But now? Not a chance. Don't know what the hell is wrong with him to be honest.

I would say, he might be hanging around Luiz too much, but, if anything, Luiz is too rash, and today I saw no determination from Brana whatsoever. As BluesMaster said, it was an atrocious goal to give away, Brana was just static.

Luiz > Brana, for me right now, BY FAR.

Brana played midweek as did luiz and luiz is not injured.

Thank you.

This is something that really pisses me off. Why does Benitez keep changing our back-4 ALL THE TIME?! If there's one area where you absolutely need consistency it's your fucking defense.

If this club was run by smart people we would cash in on Ivanovic this summer and replace him with any one of our highly promising young CBs. But considering the idiots in charge it's more likely he'll get a contract renewal than be replaced.

He has been terrible for almost the entire season and has been replaced by a much better RB in Azplicueta.

I do wonder how one can go from being pretty good to being fairly poor, in only two months. I'd like to know what he did during his holidays...

He is so casual. I don't know, he gets easily effaced by the opponents, no sense of hurry. He provides poor clearances and passes. And at times, because of his reckless attitude when on the ball, he allows the opposition to put pressure on our back-four and Petr Cech. At the moment, he is a liability — yes he is. He has been average at best, since the start of the pre-season, and today is not the first time that he is to be blamed for a goal conceded.

He really needs to improve, otherwise...

Up until the Swansea League Cup game, I thought he'd been one of our more solid players. But since those two errors (which I defended at the time as one-offs) he's dropped off considerably and although he's not the only one it's been fairly noticeable with him.

His versatility and the years of good service should see him survive the summer but he really needs to buck his ideas up because Kalas and Omeruo will be snapping at his heels.

yeah he is out of form!he is dropping down.Hope he regains his form.But Everyone should note that he is the one who saved our asses last season.How can anyone forget chelsea-napoli game at bridge?hope he remains solid

I do wonder how one can go from being pretty good to being fairly poor, in only two months. I'd like to know what he did during his holidays...

He is so casual. I don't know, he gets easily effaced by the opponents, no sense of hurry. He provides poor clearances and passes. And at times, because of his reckless attitude when on the ball, he allows the opposition to put pressure on our back-four and Petr Cech. At the moment, he is a liability — yes he is. He has been average at best, since the start of the pre-season, and today is not the first time that he is to be blamed for a goal conceded.

He really needs to improve, otherwise...

Never thought I'd say this but he has become a cowardly defender...backing off and backing off from his attacker until its too late...