Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Think Ivanovic's crossing is underrated. http://www.eplindex....ta-stats.html/2

Agree that Ivanovic's defensive positioning has been poor this season but some of that as you say, is not his fault. The team plays so narrow up front that Cole and Ivanovic have to get forward to create width. It bothers me when we concede goals and everyone automatically blames the defensive players. Sometimes, it is their fault, but sometimes, it isn't. Football tactics are dominoes. One player is out of position so another has to cover and then another is left exposed in a dangerous area...It takes a team to attack or defend properly. (That's not to say that there aren't individual errors of course!)

Stats don't always tell the whole story. That cross for Torres's goal against Norwich was his first quality one in ages. Otherwise, most of his crosses these days always hit an opposition player before it even reaches the intended target! You only have to look back at the 2009/10 season and look at the vast difference in quality of the crosses between then and now. As for his defending, yes sometimes it's also the team's fault when we concede certain goals but you also cannot ignore his individual performance. He has struggled dealing with quick and tricky wide players in recent times and his tendency to allow a cross to come in so easily is extremely annoying and smacks of poor defending!

Stats don't always tell the whole story. That cross for Torres's goal against Norwich was his first quality one in ages. Otherwise, most of his crosses these days always hit an opposition player before it even reaches the intended target! You only have to look back at the 2009/10 season and look at the vast difference in quality of the crosses between then and now. As for his defending, yes sometimes it's also the team's fault when we concede certain goals but you also cannot ignore his individual performance. He has struggled dealing with quick and tricky wide players in recent times and his tendency to allow a cross to come in so easily is extremely annoying and smacks of poor defending!

iva's defending has dipped a little this season but so has the cover for him. mata , hazard dont track back leaving both our wingers very exposed on numerous occasion. like yesterday's first goal in which cole n iva were both ahead (seems to be the plan that they should provide the width). so its not all brana's fault. when he is given a proper cover like in the arsenal match, he put in a brilliant shift.

His foul was one of the most stupid moves a player made in a Chelsea shirt in recent years.

If if Young had scored, we had enough time and quality to win the match.

And yes, that was a foul and there was contact between two players, it was the same way Barcelonas' player got the red for making a foul in Anelka in that infamous match. Dont remember right now if was Abidal or Toure.

I wouldn't slate him for his often forward runs, it's obvious it's something Di Matteo either asked or encouraged.

Being asked I would say. We are playing narrow with Oscar, Hazard and Mata and we need our FBs to provide the width.

And yes, that was a foul and there was contact between two players, it was the same way Barcelonas' player got the red for making a foul in Anelka in that infamous match. Dont remember right now if was Abidal or Toure.

Abidal.

I think Robbie has been clever slowly integrating Cesar, Moses and Marin in.

Too much change in one go isn't good, so far the new players playing regularly are Hazard and Oscar, right now Hazard, Oscar and Mata are a trio causing havoc to other teams, eventually teams will 'wise up' to it a bit more then Robbie will start introducing the width, which will be Marin and Moses.

Azpi aswell will have a very big future here, but Robbie is slowly integrating him, remember Ivanovic took over a year to settle properly and find consistency in his performances.

Eventually Moses, Marin and Azpi will be fully integrated in the squad but for now im just happy witnessing Hazard and Oscar settling like a duck to water.

Think Ivanovic's crossing is underrated. http://www.eplindex.com/14552/premier-league-team-of-the-year-based-on-statistics-part-1-defence-opta-stats.html/2

Agree that Ivanovic's defensive positioning has been poor this season but some of that as you say, is not his fault. The team plays so narrow up front that Cole and Ivanovic have to get forward to create width. It bothers me when we concede goals and everyone automatically blames the defensive players. Sometimes, it is their fault, but sometimes, it isn't. Football tactics are dominoes. One player is out of position so another has to cover and then another is left exposed in a dangerous area...It takes a team to attack or defend properly. (That's not to say that there aren't individual errors of course!)

Thanks for that link. I've been trying to tell people exactly that, Ivanovic has a decent cross on him yet some think he's absolute garbage at it for some reason.

Thanks for that link. I've been trying to tell people exactly that, Ivanovic has a decent cross on him yet some think he's absolute garbage at it for some reason.

That because it takes 2 players to make a good cross: the crosser and the receiver. If no one is making proper movement in the box, you can;t put in a decent cross.

That because it takes 2 players to make a good cross: the crosser and the receiver. If no one is making proper movement in the box, you can;t put in a decent cross.

Exactly. Because our striker up front ATM (or anyone in our team actually) isn't as good at cutting crosses as let's say Drogba/Ballack/Lampard were obviously we're going to have lesser quality in our crosses.

Am I the only one that believes he is our best CB?

Terry - way past it, sorry to those that do not share the same opinion, captain or not, 04/05 + 05/06 were his best years and living off those since - tad harsh but MY opinion.

Cahill - 2nd best defender, he is young don't forget and I firmly believe he will take over as club captain in a few years. Lacks positional sense sometimes and I've said in previous posts that the worst enemy for this guy is a striker with good movement/has an issue with tracking runs, it'll come with experience.

Luiz - hot and cold, I love the guy my but gosh, you never know what your going to get

Well I for one thought he was much better at CB.

He had a good game, but his defensive positioning isn't great overall and that is usually even a bigger problem at CB than RB. Still, it's fabulous to have someone who can step in and start at RB or CB and play at a high level at both It gives the squad real flexibility and gives RDM options.. .