Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Yeah we'll have to disagree on that. Just because Ivanovic is instructed to bomb forward doesn't mean it's acceptable for him to make basic defensive errors.

Magically appear ? You're acting like he has to travel around the world to get back into position. It takes him like what 15 to 20 seconds to get back into position ?

Like i said before, and Jason said it too, the majority of the mistakes Ivanovic makes are when he defends deep.

Yes i did write that he bombs forward but he only bomb's forward when we have the ball, when we lose the ball it takes him about 15 to 20 seconds to get back at which point he's defending deep.

Even if we try and press at times when we don't have the ball we usually drop deep and keep everyone but our striker behind the ball.

Sorry are you saying that moving up and down the pitch does not take a toll on the player? And that the fact hes instructed by his manager to attack and has to think about ways to get into attacking positions constantly CANT possibly negatively affect his VERY proven defensive abilities?

The idea that he can defend as a CB, but forgets how to do that when in RB position sounds a bit crazy to me.

Sorry are you saying that moving up and down the pitch does not take a toll on the player? And that the fact hes instructed by his manager to attack and has to think about ways to get into attacking positions constantly CANT possibly negatively affect his VERY proven defensive abilities?

The idea that he can defend as a CB, but forgets how to do that when in RB position sounds a bit crazy to me.

Think it's best if we just agree to disagree. We've both said what we wanted to say but we simply aren't gonna see eye to eye on this.

The match against Derby was the only time Ivanovic (officially) played at CB this season and he just so happened to be responsible for the goal conceded. He seems to be a mistake waiting to happen wherever he plays but I guess at RB he is more likely to make up for that with some output at the attacking end. He actually also drops very deep into the box quite often to the point where he is at CB but that doesn't see him defend particularly well (e.g. Lukaku sitter and countless other occasions).

Ivanovic clearly does bring certain qualities to the team. For example the opposition would likely never see him as an aerial weakness at the back post the way Atletico and PSG did against Azpi, he is our outball from goalkicks and he provides a threat from set pieces. But that doesn't mean complaints about his defending should be completely dismissed. The biggest qualms with Ivanovic tend to be that he defends nonchalantly and amateurishly when 1v1, and that he suffers from regular, costly lapses in concentration (or intelligence as we saw with the Moreno chance at Stamford Bridge). I think these are valid concerns that can't simply be justified by the argument that he is instructed to attack a lot.

The match against Derby was the only time Ivanovic (officially) played at CB this season and he just so happened to be responsible for the goal conceded. He seems to be a mistake waiting to happen wherever he plays but I guess at RB he is more likely to make up for that with some output at the attacking end. He actually also drops very deep into the box quite often to the point where he is at CB but that doesn't see him defend particularly well (e.g. Lukaku sitter and countless other occasions).

Ivanovic clearly does bring certain qualities to the team. For example the opposition would likely never see him as an aerial weakness at the back post the way Atletico and PSG did against Azpi, he is our outball from goalkicks and he provides a threat from set pieces. But that doesn't mean complaints about his defending should be completely dismissed. The biggest qualms with Ivanovic tend to be that he defends nonchalantly and amateurishly when 1v1, and that he suffers from regular, costly lapses in concentration (or intelligence as we saw with the Moreno chance at Stamford Bridge). I think these are valid concerns that can't simply be justified by the argument that he is instructed to attack a lot.

He played one game as a cb this season you say, perhaps that's the reason he didn't do too well. Because I remembed Iva doing very well as a cb a couple of seasons back.

Other points fair enough but I never said to dismiss his mistakes, but that he's been unfairly criticized for making them - not the same.

why does not he get the credit to be awesome defensively when he plays so awesome but he gets ridiculed week in and week out when its obvious that its the tactics that makes our right hand side circumspect.

why does not he get the credit to be awesome defensively when he plays so awesome but he gets ridiculed week in and week out when its obvious that its the tactics that makes our right hand side circumspect.

Welcome to TC.

I like to always mention the pros and cons every manager/player, and I have to say Ivanovic was fucking immense yesterday. Always in the right position, knew when to close down and was mentally very stable. Keep it up Branislove.

So many crosses from his side, an awful amount of them really, putting the rest of our defense under constant pressure.

And one more thing - I just hate when players do not play until the ref's whistle. When Ivan thinks it is out or whatever, he suddenly stops playing, puts his hand in the air and waits. WTF? Today he did at least twice and he got both situations wrong. Fortunately, he got lucky in the following seconds. Wish he stopped doing it and kept playing instead.

So many crosses from his side, an awful amount of them really, putting the rest of our defense under constant pressure.

Should we even be surprised by that?

And one more thing - I just hate when players do not play until the ref's whistle. When Ivan thinks it is out or whatever, he suddenly stops playing, puts his hand in the air and waits. WTF? Today he did at least twice and he got both situations wrong. Fortunately, he got lucky in the following seconds. Wish he stopped doing it and kept playing instead.

To be fair, most players tend to do that but it is rather pathetic. Can end up costing the team.

I don't understand why Ivanovic continues to play as a defender. In every game the right side ends up being the biggest vulnerability. I feel like he has the right skills to play at Willian's position. Good ball control, great crosses, can score, and provide assists. Wonder why Mou never plays him there with Azpi and Louis as fullbacks.