Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

From a rock at defending to a goalscorer. What is next for Branislav?

I'm one of those people who think defending well is the priority for any defender, full-back or centre-back. Anything beyond that is a bonus. This is the reason I never even thought about considering Sergio Ramos as a world class defender, I don't care many times he saves Madrid's ass all I know is that he makes way too many mistakes and loses concentration very often.

With Ivanovic it's the same story. However, I used to like him a lot three or four years ago where he was a better defender while being a danger at set pieces as well. Right now he is the same at Dani Alves, he can only be a danger going forward. It's ridiculous to me how every pundit in the country is describing him as a monster of a defender while he is the complete opposite. For a top class team like us that is/or at least wants to challenge for the Champions League trophy he is just not reliable at defending.

I don't want to discourage the fact he has earned us a couple of points with his crucial goals, but like I said, that's not his job. He shouldn't be the one scoring those goals. He should be there when Moreno is raping the right side of our defence, when Salah is lurking behind him, when Okore tries to lose him, or when Milner is making a run behind him. Not only he has already costed us a few goals there could have been many more which he got away with. That first half against City is an example. The match could have been over in the first 45 minutes with City 3 goals ahead because of his poor passing and inability to concentrate. Against Liverpool, if it wasn't for Courtois we wouldn't have been in Wembley beucase of Ivanovic constantly being out of position.

I don't like seeing Dave at left-back any more either. While he is a fantastic defender, that knows when to press or when to cut passing lanes, I think he just cuts the team's momentum whenever he gets the ball. He constantly switches the ball to his right foot and then passes it to the middle, making it easier for the opposition, especially the ones in the CL, to press our midfield.

I think the ideal solution for us is to play Dave at right-back and Luis at left-back, Luis is a player who I admire greatly and I don't have a clue how he is not starting for us. I think Jose's inability to trust him in his first season, and blinding himself with Ivanovic's occasional goals have been the reason. It was obvious Luis was going to take time to settle in, more obvious when you're defender and we all know how hard it must be to settle to the fast paced game of England.

Luis presses incredibly well, is a good one on one defender and is very good with the ball. I really want him to succeed here.

From a rock at defending to a goalscorer. What is next for Branislav?

I'm one of those people who think defending well is the priority for any defender, full-back or centre-back. Anything beyond that is a bonus. This is the reason I never even thought about considering Sergio Ramos as a world class defender, I don't care many times he saves Madrid's ass all I know is that he makes way too many mistakes and loses concentration very often.

With Ivanovic it's the same story. However, I used to like him a lot three or four years ago where he was a better defender while being a danger at set pieces as well. Right now he is the same at Dani Alves, he can only be a danger going forward. It's ridiculous to me how every pundit in the country is describing him as a monster of a defender while he is the complete opposite. For a top class team like us that is/or at least wants to challenge for the Champions League trophy he is just not reliable at defending.

I don't want to discourage the fact he has earned us a couple of points with his crucial goals, but like I said, that's not his job. He shouldn't be the one scoring those goals. He should be there when Moreno is raping the right side of our defence, when Salah is lurking behind him, when Okore tries to lose him, or when Milner is making a run behind him. Not only he has already costed us a few goals there could have been many more which he got away with. That first half against City is an example. The match could have been over in the first 45 minutes with City 3 goals ahead because of his poor passing and inability to concentrate. Against Liverpool, if it wasn't for Courtois we wouldn't have been in Wembley beucase of Ivanovic constantly being out of position.

I don't like seeing Dave at left-back any more either. While he is a fantastic defender, that knows when to press or when to cut passing lanes, I think he just cuts the team's momentum whenever he gets the ball. He constantly switches the ball to his right foot and then passes it to the middle, making it easier for the opposition, especially the ones in the CL, to press our midfield.

I think the ideal solution for us is to play Dave at right-back and Luis at left-back, Luis is a player who I admire greatly and I don't have a clue how he is not starting for us. I think Jose's inability to trust him in his first season, and blinding himself with Ivanovic's occasional goals have been the reason. It was obvious Luis was going to take time to settle in, more obvious when you're defender and we all know how hard it must be to settle to the fast paced game of England.

Luis presses incredibly well, is a good one on one defender and is very good with the ball. I really want him to succeed here.

Think most of us would like to see that happen but as long as Mourinho is still managing us, doubt we are going to see Luis at LB and Azpi at RB happening any time soon...unless somehow Ivanovic suffers a serious injury (touch wood) or his form/performances go completely downhill. Not sure if this is true but Don Hutchinson mentioned before on PLTV that he once asked Steve Clarke who is Mourinho's favorite player at the club and his response was Ivanovic, because he will run through brick walls/do anything for Mourinho.

Amazing he's only 3 years younger than Terry...we should be planning for a future without Brana too :(

Did really well yesterday imo, he seems to be making far fewer defensive mistakes nowadays especially with Zouma in the squad..

He is a very good rounded player and a master with set pieces. Is there any other player in the world who is more of a threat in set piece situations?

diego-godin2.jpg

Like it or not, set pieces win games and titles.

This is true. No team only scores goals from open-play so not sure why anyone would object.

I honestly think you are all fucking crazy around here... :)

Like it or not, set pieces win games and titles.

Don't get me wrong, I go fucking mental whenever Ivanovic scores and does his funny pointing to the head celeeration. But, all of this is not his job. He shouldn't be the one saving our ass by scoring goals, if anything thats a bonus. His priority is defending, and while I'm hundred percent he has the potential to be a rock at defence but its lack of concentration that constantly lets him and the team down a lot.