Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Then blame the tactic, don't blame the players, is what I'm trying to say.

Tactic isn't wrong. We're playing the tactic that gets the best out of most of our players problem is those three are dragging us down as they don't fit the system.

We already have Azpi who can replace Ivanovic and Zouma could replace Cahill.

That just leaves us with 1, Terry. He's not so much a problem as he offers other qualities that we need that aren't so easily replaced.

Without buying we could already replace 2 out of the three "weak links" and we'd only have to cover for 1 player instead of three.

Tactic isn't wrong. We're playing the tactic that gets the best out of most of our players problem is those three are dragging us down as they don't fit the system.

We already have Azpi who can replace Ivanovic and Zouma could replace Cahill.

That just leaves us with 1, Terry. He's not so much a problem as he offers other qualities that we need that aren't so easily replaced.

Without buying we could already replace 2 out of the three "weak links" and we'd only have to cover for 1 player instead of three.

Lol, then we should blame the players? It's not their fault, they couldn't perform their best in defensive high line like you said. They have tried, and yes maybe should have done better, but it is very harsh to blame all on them.

Lol, then we should blame the players? It's not their fault, they couldn't perform their best in defensive high line like you said. They have tried, and yes maybe should have done better, but it is very harsh to blame all on them.

So we should keep playing them then, even though they don't fit the system, because they tried their best ? :blink:

So we should keep playing them then, even though they don't fit the system, because they tried their best ? :blink:

Mourinho will keep playing them, and also will always think they are his best 4 defender on this team.

Back to my point, if we have to criticized something, I think we should have criticize Jose's tactic this season. Last season they have proven they could be solid. If they're shit since they signed, then I agree we should get rid them all.

Mourinho will keep playing them, and also will always think they are his best 4 defender on this team.

Back to my point, if we have to criticized something, I think we should have criticize Jose's tactic this season. Last season they have proven they could be solid. If they're shit since they signed, then I agree we should get rid them all.

Again i believe the tactic we're playing this season is the right one for the players and goals we have. It's the three i named that don't fit and need to be replaced.

You can't blame Mourinho for choosing a tactic that benefits the majority of our players.

I'm not saying we should get rid of them but they shouldn't be starting for us.( well atleast Ivanovic and Cahill shouldn't. Like i said in my other post Terry still offers certain qualities that aren't easy to replace.

Again i believe the tactic we're playing this season is the right one for the players and goals we have. It's the three i named that don't fit and need to be replaced.

You can't blame Mourinho for choosing a tactic that benefits the majority of our players.

I'm not saying we should get rid of them but they shouldn't be starting for us.( well atleast Ivanovic and Cahill shouldn't. Like i said in my other post Terry still offers certain qualities that aren't easy to replace.

That come as consequence in my opinion. Playing deep, our defense will be solid, but it has cost on our created chances and goal productivity.

Playing high line, we might will be scoring more, but also will leave some empty space on our back when we built our attack.

Now the most difficult part, is to determine when to put that strategy right for every single match. Again weak team we could play the high line, but against big clubs away, think we should play more deep.

Also no guarantee if we replace all of them we will be solid at the back immediately. Players like Ivan and Cahill are experienced enough, yes maybe they are not the fastest defender in the world, but they can be good if the plan is right.

Even Liverpool has realized that our weakness is that right side of our defence. They kept on attacking through there.

I can't believe Mourinho hasn't seen this problem.

Do think Mourinho can see that issue but sometimes, he's just too pragmatic/stubborn.

The worrying thought for me is whilst our goalkeeper(s) and front six are frankly world class, is that at 34 an ageing John Terry - who is clearly struggling with playing on such a regular basis - is both our best and most consistent defender, and even he's had one or two stinkers recently.

Our defence is being criticised because it is only a little better than average. Cahill isn't world class. Ivanovic isn't world class, but he tries, and to be fair if he is being told to bomb forward then perhaps it is José who is both overpressuring Willian to come back and mop up defensively and causing Branna to go AWOL. Azpilicueta is a very, very full-back and one of the best one-on-one defenders I've ever seen, so I'm not sure why he's copping any stick. But we need someone who can do the central defensive roles because JT is on a downwards physical slope. He can't cope with 50 games a season any more, and Cahill clearly can't cope with 5! If Jose thinks Zouma is too raw and isn't willing to play him more often then he needs to go and blow £40 million on Hummels, Boateng or Chiellini because we need a solid central defender now to replace Cahill and we'll need another young'un like Varane in the summer to work with Zouma in becoming the new long-term partnership.

It isn't ideal but my suggestion would be to retain Azpi/Luis-Terry-Zouma-Ivanovic as our primary defensive four, with Varane arriving in the summer. Cahill can be a decent squad player (being reminded he isn't undroppable could be good in getting him back to his best when he had Luiz for competition), and in Zouma and Varane you have not just the future backbone of Chelsea's defence but the French national side's as well. We don't need to splash the cash on a defender now but we certainly need a long-term investment á la Zouma to complement our current options.

And someone tell me why the fuck we let Benatia go and rot at Bayern for pittance?

However in regards to being exposed behind the full-backs, someone tell me a team that isn't? The role of the full-backs has evolved and they offer the only genuine width of 90% of the world's top teams. Look at City and Barcelona for instance, what width would they have without their full-backs bombing forward? We just have to grin and bear it, full-backs have to attack these days. We just need a centre back to stiffen the defence up a bit.

Do think Mourinho can see that issue but sometimes, he's just too pragmatic/stubborn.

Mourinho (seems to, at least) thinks curtailing Willian's attacking role in the side and basically playing him as a wing back is the answer. It isn't.

The worrying thought for me is whilst our goalkeeper(s) and front six are frankly world class, is that at 34 an ageing John Terry - who is clearly struggling with playing on such a regular basis - is both our best and most consistent defender, and even he's had one or two stinkers recently.

Our defence is being criticised because it is only a little better than average. Cahill isn't world class. Ivanovic isn't world class, but he tries, and to be fair if he is being told to bomb forward then perhaps it is José who is both overpressuring Willian to come back and mop up defensively and causing Branna to go AWOL. Azpilicueta is a very, very full-back and one of the best one-on-one defenders I've ever seen, so I'm not sure why he's copping any stick. But we need someone who can do the central defensive roles because JT is on a downwards physical slope. He can't cope with 50 games a season any more, and Cahill clearly can't cope with 5! If Jose thinks Zouma is too raw and isn't willing to play him more often then he needs to go and blow £40 million on Hummels, Boateng or Chiellini because we need a solid central defender now to replace Cahill and we'll need another young'un like Varane in the summer to work with Zouma in becoming the new long-term partnership.

It isn't ideal but my suggestion would be to retain Azpi/Luis-Terry-Zouma-Ivanovic as our primary defensive four, with Varane arriving in the summer. Cahill can be a decent squad player (being reminded he isn't undroppable could be good in getting him back to his best when he had Luiz for competition), and in Zouma and Varane you have not just the future backbone of Chelsea's defence but the French national side's as well. We don't need to splash the cash on a defender now but we certainly need a long-term investment á la Zouma to complement our current options.

And someone tell me why the fuck we let Benatia go and rot at Bayern for pittance?

However in regards to being exposed behind the full-backs, someone tell me a team that isn't? The role of the full-backs has evolved and they offer the only genuine width of 90% of the world's top teams. Look at City and Barcelona for instance, what width would they have without their full-backs bombing forward? We just have to grin and bear it, full-backs have to attack these days. We just need a centre back to stiffen the defence up a bit.

Mourinho (seems to, at least) thinks curtailing Willian's attacking role in the side and basically playing him as a wing back is the answer. It isn't.

I actually believe that Terry isn't struggling with 50 games as much as the fact he has to prop up the right side of his defence because he's the only one who is willing to be physical. When he was with Zouma in the Newcastle game, he actually looked very comfortable with Zouma actually helping with the defensive work, even if it was at home.

I think the Willian-Ivanovic problem is intertwined. Obviously in the last few games Azpi has been out with groin strain, but Ivanovic would be a good squad player to have, being he can fill in at CB or RB. IMO, Terry should move to RCB, Azpi goes to RB, Luis starts on the left, and then Zouma goes to LCB. We should be looking to sell Cahill, definitely NOT Zouma, and buy Varane or another suitable candidate. But I think that Terry can cope still. When you're that old in football you have to be keeping at peak fitness or the career ender injuries start coming in. But Willian should not be our starting winger, Salah should really be above him because he actually has the capability to attack.

Still. Azpi - Terry - Varane - Luis would be absolutely epic, with Terry or/and Varane rotating for Zouma and an academy defender. Kalas perhaps? Shame we can't keep Bertrand, really. He'd be a great second choice LB/RB, and would fill our HG quota.

Not sure about curtailing because Willian can go forward but doesn't produce anything meaningful in the final third. On the other hand, it's nonsense that sometimes, he has to do all the defensive work for 2 players with Ivanovic going AWOL.

Ivanovic is a great player and the right option for the RB position. He defends well, attacks also well and has a great plus because he helps a lot in defensive and attacking set pieces, something that usually a "normal" RB or LB can't do.

The problematic players are the other 3. Terry can't be our first option, Cahill is not good enough and playing Azpi in the left back is not the best option (even if he does it really well it would be better to play Luis).

Ivanovic is untouchable.

Ivanovic is a great player and the right option for the RB position. He defends well, attacks also well and has a great plus because he helps a lot in defensive and attacking set pieces, something that usually a "normal" RB or LB can't do.

The problematic players are the other 3. Terry can't be our first option, Cahill is not good enough and playing Azpi in the left back is not the best option (even if he does it really well it would be better to play Luis).

Ivanovic is untouchable.

Ivanovic has been poor defensively for a lot of parts this season.

Ivanovic is untouchable.

Perhaps you should look at the diagram a few posts up that shows the vast majority of the goals we concede come from Ivanovic's side. Also could you explain to me why John Terry should not first choice?

Ivanovic is untouchable.

I stopped reading the post after you said "He defends well..."..

Ivanovic is untouchable.

Portuguese, joined in summer 2013 and complete overrates Ivanovic? Didn't know Mourinho was on TalkChelsea.