Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

B6WEyQjCEAEifJn.jpg

Credit to Spurs, exploited us tactically last night + outworked us + we just did not seem up for it or when we did for a few minutes they scored to take the momentum away.

We've setup all season like this with Branislav.

B6WEyQjCEAEifJn.jpg

A bit of an unfair point, that's basically an excuse for Cahill's performances.

Ivanovic plays wide on the right because he is our rightside outlet. Our outlet on the left is Hazard because he has all the cover from Azpilicueta, the league's best one-on-one defender. Ivanovic bombs forward because he has Willian on his side of the pitch, who does an unbelievable defensive job.

I'm not saying Ivanovic is not at fault, I'm just saying that Cahill can't be excused based on that.

I estimate at least 80% of the goals we concede come from down his flank. Or at least 80% of the goals we conceded today. Calamitous. Though he isn't helped by having a bloke next to him who makes David "brainfart" Luiz look like Bobby Moore.

Bloody hell, you're not wrong either. This is a map of the goals we've conceded last season from open play. Also proves Cahill was not as good as we thought. On the other side, however, Azpilicueta and Terry were very solid.

fdd7748636310a9faaede0b807eaf9ed.jpg

Bloody hell, you're not wrong either. This is a map of the goals we've conceded last season from open play. Also proves Cahill was not as good as we thought. On the other side, however, Azpilicueta and Terry were very solid.

FFS look at all the crosses from Ivanovic's flank.

That is not a pretty picture.

I don't understand where the notion that Ivanovic is good defensively comes from. Aerially yes but just watch anyone run at him (he will back off) or behind him (he'll switch off).

Or do his party trick of standing off 3 yards while look like a mong with his hands behind his back.

Where are all those people from last year who passionately argued to me that Ivanovic is better than Azpi?! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Why is this incompetent and lazy 'defender' still undroppable at the expense of a genuinely top class FB (Luis/Azpi)? He has absolutely no football intelligence or technique and is incredibly prone to making mistakes and losing concentration. But at least he gives the GK an outball eh :lol:

Willian saved his arse numerous times yesterday.

When Neil Warnock figures out that all you have to do is boot the ball into the corner with Branislav/Gary then we have a problem.

I do love him as a Chelsea player and his tenacity but.. Damn.. he's testing that love this season.

Bullied ? Rightfully criticized you mean.

Last season we played a deep (defensive) line, this season we're playing a high line and trying to press.

To be blunt neither Cahill, Ivanovic or Terry are cut out to play a high line.

Cahill is incapable of defending forward(proactive). The only thing he does is back off and try and block the shot.

Ivanovic struggles when he's up against quick skillfull players which is why he doesn't like closing down players instead he'll just stand off them and allow them all the time in the world to cross the ball in.

Terry simply doesn't have the pace or agility required to play a high line.

Azpi and Luis are cut out to play the high line and should both be starting.

Zouma should also get his shot to see if he's capable.

Then blame the tactic, don't blame the players, is what I'm trying to say.