Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

I estimate at least 80% of the goals we concede come from down his flank. Or at least 80% of the goals we conceded today. Calamitous. Though he isn't helped by having a bloke next to him who makes David "brainfart" Luiz look like Bobby Moore.

@OptaAlex :lol:

Im surprised people are calling for oscar, willian, costa, cesc head but not ivan.

Ivan side was the side that kept getting bombarded and destroyed.... Chelsea back 4 minus dave lack pace and it is showing again.

Comment from my brother who knows nothing about football: "I swear all Ivanovic does is stand there with his hands behind his back and let's the attacker cut inside."

Tbh he's hit the nail on the head

He has never had the pace to be a competitive RB in the world. He is a danger at set pieces, yes. Can be good going forward, by sheer physicality and one on one takeonsm still he isn't a RB. Or atleast he needs some rest. And IMO if Azpi is going to go left back and stay there, than atleast Clyne can fit right in. Being a RB or a LB is one of the biggest roles in football. I know, cuz I have played, and it was tiresome at that level, let alone Bpl. Let's be honest, being able to constantly be forward and back isn't something a brute like Ivanovic can do regularly nowadays. And I said it after the game at Old Trafford. If we are to play attacking football, then playing with a Stamina and pace Stacked(let's say that) RB/LB is something WE NEED. AND if Filipe isn't going to be a starter any time soon, we will have problems in the right hand zone, no matter Willian's help there.

B6WEyQjCEAEifJn.jpg

People write here as if players were incapable of staying back, positioned, which is actually the easy thing to do. The difficult one is to go forward, beat players, and provide nice crosses - esp when under pressure and in pace. And then having to track back quickly when beaten.

Come on... Ivanovic isn't a bad player. He's a very good defender both as FB and CB. However, as a FB he doesn't have the pace to recover, so he needs support when moving up the pitch.

Here are the possibilities in my mind:

1) Jose instructed Iva to bomb forward - most likely scenario as Azpi doesn't usually do that.

2) Jose instructed Iva to stick to defensive position (deep) and Iva ignored his manager - reckon Jose would've subbed his big ass off in a heartbeat in such case.

While we had a number of poor performances, a large final score points to the manager. Something in his strategy did not work; either because the players were too tired to execute, or it was just wrong; former far more likely.

With all that out of the way, I don't think Iva is good enough as an attacking FB and much prefer him sitting back as a 3rd CB/defensive FB. Azpi and Iva are interchangeable as FBs, with Azpi better recovering and pace, and IVa better in the air with power. Both defensive. Luis is the one who can attack with some quality.

B6WEyQjCEAEifJn.jpg

Ivanovic is Mourinho's favourite out-ball. How many times a game does Courtois kick it long in his direction? At least 15x a game. Unless Azpi and Luis can grow to 6'2 by the time we play again Ivanovic will have RB to himself for as long as Mourinho's in charge.

Ivanovic is Mourinho's favourite out-ball. How many times a game does Courtois kick it long in his direction? At least 15x a game. Unless Azpi and Luis can grow to 6'2 by the time we play again Ivanovic will have RB to himself for as long as Mourinho's in charge.

Some people are taking that post too seriously. Where's the fun people?! :readthemessage::rant:

I don't understand where the notion that Ivanovic is good defensively comes from. Aerially yes but just watch anyone run at him (he will back off) or behind him (he'll switch off).

from him being a solid CB?! :rolleyes:

It's not like a completely different trade skill is it? Solid (tall) DM have been employed as CBs hundred times before... CBs in midfield too (D. Luiz).