Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How on earth this thread is still so quiet after Ivanovic's atrocious performance against Newcastle is beyond me.

I'm sorry but I can't even begin to describe my disgust at his tendency to allow crosses to come in from his side so easily without any pressure. SIX of the 13 goals we conceded in the league this season have come from his side.

How on earth this thread is still so quiet after Ivanovic's atrocious performance against Newcastle is beyond me.

I'm sorry but I can't even begin to describe my disgust at his tendency to allow crosses to come in from his side so easily without any pressure. SIX of the 13 goals we conceded in the league this season have come from his side.

I thought I was the only one who is disgusted by him recently and definetly want to see Azpi and Filipe at the same time. He is really abysmal lately.

offers so much in support, often take goal kicks to his side, creates a fuckton of space for opposition. Most touches in the box for a defender in the league if i'm not mistaken. Massive physical prowess. Would take a long run of poor games for him to get dropped I think

What's the point? Mourinho will always play him no matter what, and it's his decision that matters. A few of us have recently vented our frustration at the lack of rotation of our full-backs on the Luis thread, and all that really needed to be said about this issue has been said there.

Ivanovic is a very good full-back with useful physical attributes, but he plays with real complacency at times. It costs the team, but not his place within it, so he remains complacent. This happened last season as well, and will continue to happen until Ivanovic feels under a bit more pressure to perform. Some players don't handle pressure well and crumble, others (like Ivanovic) seem to thrive on it. If it's made clear to him that his place in the starting 11 is not guaranteed, I'm fairly confident that we will once again have him performing to the very high levels we know he can produce.

offers so much in support, often take goal kicks to his side, creates a fuckton of space for opposition. Most touches in the box for a defender in the league if i'm not mistaken. Massive physical prowess. Would take a long run of poor games for him to get dropped I think

Apart from his physical prowess, I really don't see why Azpi can't do what Ivanovic does offensively and defensively. Ivanovic is only in the team because of his strength and Mourinho likes to have 3 big centre-backs in the back 4. He's not going to be dropped unless he's suspended or suffers an injury.

Because most Chelsea fans (that I've spoken to at least) can't see past his attacking 'prowess' and don't want to address his defensive complacency. Jose is seemingly the same.