Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

26 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Nah nah nah. The club needs massive overhaul in all the structures, that's true, but it's not the reason people are upset. People are upset, because throwing away who we are and suddenly starting to think of ourselves as lower-mid-table team and proving it with handing the wheel to amateur manager + transfer policy in form of buying the same type of random, uninspiring players but thrice the price is not the way to go.

No problem with missing out on CL with Lampard and transfer ban, but missing out on CL because we are being managed by whoever he is, enforced with Everton-level transfer intake is, indeed, a disgrace.

Serious question: What, in particular, is the aim of process aka "new direction" Boehly is trying to pull off? Hire shitty, sub par personnel, spend 3-4 years mid table to mold this pack into top 4 contenders? Same thing could be achived (or rather, stamped, as top4 was less uncertain under TT anyway) in a whim, just by getting Tuchel players he wanted and/or hiring sporting director (not someone Boehly found behind dumpster and liked his "vision"). Rebuild is supposed to let us step up, not go down to come back to exact same spot, just with extra steps, suffering and money.

When you have mid table players, you will be a mid table club, point the blame at potter or TB all you want TT asked for KK sterling auba, fofana still to judge, azi jorgi cuca Puli havertz Gallagher RLC Chaloba Mendy are mid table at nest, are best player is 38 ffs, we have only bought two RBs in 13 years but in the last couple have spent 100m on LBs who have both mid table, this isn't something that's happened overnight! This club is a shambles and it's easy to sit and blame potter and TB, but in reality this is down to the old regime. Sooner you realise, we won't be a top team for the next few years the better, this happend to UTD and to arsenal recently, it happens to every team.

11 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

There's about 8 or so teams who have scored less then us in the league...and 2 of them are only one behind on goals scored. Its dire! One player has scored more then our entire team

You can't play creative attacking football when your midfield cant create or pass forward. It's like asking a plumber to re wire a house, it will not work. So 2 options, you either sack the manager and get on another pragmatic manager, or you pick manager and you build with that, problem is potter football ATM is shocking agreed, but let's atleast se what he can do with a midfield that can do what he's asking.

27 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

When you have mid table players, you will be a mid table club, point the blame at potter or TB all you want TT asked for KK sterling auba, fofana still to judge, azi jorgi cuca Puli havertz Gallagher RLC Chaloba Mendy are mid table at nest, are best player is 38 ffs, we have only bought two RBs in 13 years but in the last couple have spent 100m on LBs who have both mid table, this isn't something that's happened overnight! This club is a shambles and it's easy to sit and blame potter and TB, but in reality this is down to the old regime. Sooner you realise, we won't be a top team for the next few years the better, this happend to UTD and to arsenal recently, it happens to every team.

Yeah, the everlasting lack of sporting director, who would keep some general idea of squad synergy and balance over what current, short-living manager wants was known problem and pretty much lead to what it is now. On the other hand I'm bit tired of how, since at least Conte, people here make this squad far worse than it really is - those players (and some even worse than what we have now) won UCL, EL and super cup + did not bad in PL and we tend to portray them as they were some freaking Mansfield Town (with all due respect), thrown to PL by UFO. It needs smart and radical overhauling, yes, but what Boehly did was buying like fifth best thing to who we actually needed, so it's like more of the same we've had. And I don't care what he burns his money on, but all stupid transfers for high prices are hindering us long-term via FFP.

Okay, so we are settling for being mid-table. Again, what's the point? If we are looking for building long-term cohesion, why under manager who has yet a ton to learn himself? Why not hire top staff and give them time and money? This is only hurting the club. Instead of creating an exciting project, that would organically build it's power and be attractive for players and fans TB somehow decided to degenerate us? And what players are we supposed to build this great Boehly/Potter opus magnum on? Cucurella? Letting our youngsters on for 4 minutes isn't exactly a turn to grassroots development anyway. Getting rid of our best asset in form of TT invalidates all Boehly's bs on long-term project and giving time to develop anything for me.

Decline of Arsenal and especially UTD were only caused by shitshow by their executives, not squad becoming too old and lacking synergy or decision by owner to drop down few places just because. I can "realise, we won't be a top team for the next few years the better", but I don't really see the point of it. Somehow City could be managed in sensible way to the top, so did Pool - neither they exactly bought the success nor decided to drop down to bottom of table just for shits. 

Edited by Vegetable

We are all secretly hoping to wake up in yeaes time and Potter has somehow completely revolutionised the team with us playing everyone off the park just like Arteta has. 

After everything I've read in here and on the Internet in general, I think it's fair to say Potter needs more time. He definitely needs time to rid of the pathetic wankers who are bleeding this club dry and to bring in his own players with the new recruitment team. 

8 hours ago, robsblubot said:

What I was most concerned about when we hired Potter remains the same: I am not sure the players are running for him. He's a bit too small a fish in this pond, and will get eaten by bigger egos and pay checks.

The level of commitment I see today is very similar to the what I was seeing in the final seasons with Tuchel. Thought sacking him was a mistake before, because it empowers this group of players, and it may be a mistake now too, but the players are not delivering the level of commitment needed at this level. The high press in particular (more like it the lack thereof) is a fucking joke atm.

I think in this situation it will require a rough patch like this to be navigated with the club still backing Potter.

Arsenal went through the same with Arteta when they were clamouring for him to be sacked, but the time and backing that he was given will almost certainly have given him the confidence to truly enforce his methods and ideas on the side or else they'd be shipped off. He was able to weed out the players that he didn't want or that he felt didn't suit him regardless of their status at the club.

It may require similar circumstances here for us. It's easy to point out that there are new owners and they want to show a longer term plan but ultimately this is a club that for the last 20 years has done things with only short term in mind, and a fanbase that is used to this. Add to that the ownership showed quite a ruthless streak themselves by sacking Tuchel so early and I could understand if there are some doubts in Potter's mind just to how much 'time' he'll be afforded, and that could very easily impact his own decisions he makes in a long term vs short term approach.

18 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Potter would have gone by now under Abramovich. The Premier league, Championship and even League 1 is littered with multi millionaire and billionaire owners that are quite content for their clubs to tick merrily along in mediocrity as a cash cow.

Its becoming increasingly apparent we are now in that category.

The point is Abramovich would never have hired him in the first.

Question : When was the last time England produced a world class manager if ever? 

If you're struggling to answer that, then its self evident. Get this useless fuck outta here 

28 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

It's not much different from what Sarri was saying few good years ago, is it? But I guess we hire managers to deal with it, not excuse them with it.

Fun thing is, Arsenal is often brought up here as a similar project, but I think Arteta is closer to Lamps, than what we have now - he was their own men of sorts, learning from master manager so one could consider him credible man for the job of building the organic project. Meanwhile Potter? Can't find any argument by TB why he was hired, except he liked him and "we liked what he did in Brighton" and that's a problem - he has no success to back himself up, no reputation and no charisma, so I cannot be surprised players (especially this bunch) may not be very willing to die for him, especially after his horrendous pressers - professionalism only goes so far. The situation at the club is so dull that it led to even Kante tapping out, so that's how serious it is.

There is a positive way of setting up a project and the negative way. For now I only see us going latter. Reading this thread is crushing my soul as we went from discussing whether a new manager will hit the ground running and make us step up and win silverware to discussing 8 games in whether a new manager is even capable of managing elite team at all, so that's telling.     

Edited by Vegetable

31 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Aren't these Tuchel's signings as well? If anything its making Potter's job more difficult tbf. 

Exactly...it seems asif his signings have been nothing short of shocking if you include the Lukaku signing also.

1 minute ago, DDA said:

Exactly...it seems asif his signings have been nothing short of shocking if you include the Lukaku signing also.

I don't think tuchel wanted Donkey. I think he said he wanted a striker and Cech and Marina targeted him as the best availible striker. Potter would love a 'top class' player like Donkey. He's won more trophies than him.

2 minutes ago, DDA said:

Wasn't it the beginning of TT demise when reportedly Marina got Lukaku (as club failed at bringing anyone reasonable) that TT didn't really fancy yet was mysteriously obligated to include him in every game? 

16 minutes ago, Hashishi said:

I don't think tuchel wanted Donkey. I think he said he wanted a striker and Cech and Marina targeted him as the best availible striker. Potter would love a 'top class' player like Donkey. He's won more trophies than him.

Reports Tuchel and McLaughlan prioritized a ST at all costs over Tchouameni. They needed a CM so they opted for Saul on loan in the meantime. 

Besides, Koulibaly, Sterling, Cucurella, have all been either shit or below average. These are Tuchel signings so it isn't entirely out of the relm of possibility that Tuchel wanted Lukaku as well. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Reports Tuchel and McLaughlan prioritized a ST at all costs over Tchouameni. They needed a CM so they opted for Saul on loan in the meantime. 

Besides, Koulibaly, Sterling, Cucurella, have all been either shit or below average. These are Tuchel signings so it isn't entirely out of the relm of possibility that Tuchel wanted Lukaku as well. 

Why would he want him and then not want to play him? This summer there was a lack of talent on the market in general and besides, tuchel didn't even want to be in charge of transfers. 

1 minute ago, Hashishi said:

Why would he want him and then not want to play him? This summer there was a lack of talent on the market in general and besides, tuchel didn't even want to be in charge of transfers. 

He did play him? He played him every game up until his ankle injury. He then stopped playing him after that bloody interview he gave and when it became evident we were a better team without him. Something that took Tuchel ages to realize. 

12 minutes ago, Hashishi said:

Makes you wonder why the club let Lukaku leave when they reportedly where uncertain about Tuchels job very early.

I mean, we have one of the best tap-in merchants on our books and are crying for a striker.. 

And its not the case about Lukaku not beeing suited to our system because right now we play like shit and cant even conduct games against Nottingham Forrest and equivalent teams….

2 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He did play him? He played him every game up until his ankle injury. He then stopped playing him after that bloody interview he gave and when it became evident we were a better team without him. Something that took Tuchel ages to realize. 

The issue was he didn't run enough or press. Any decent scouting team would've seen he doesn't fit our system. I blame the scouts for not being able to find a sub 90m player that would actually work in the team.

1 minute ago, Costa19 said:

Makes you wonder why the club let Lukaku leave when they reportedly where uncertain about Tuchels job very early.

I mean, we have one of the best tap-in merchants on our books and are crying for a striker.. 

And its not the case about Lukaku not beeing suited to our system because right now we play like shit and cant even conduct games against Nottingham Forrest and equivalent teams….

Dude are you actually saying he should be in the team after his INTERVIEWS (plural because he is still talking shit about us from Italy). He didn't want to be here, we didn't want him. He used us to get a pay rise but didn't actually want to move team. He isn't better than what we have and is a donkey in general. He is not even first choice at inter, dzeko is. Even their fans think he is a donkey. The thing we're discussing is who is at fault for signing him, not whether he should be here because that boat sailed last October.