Graham Potter Thread

ZAPHOD2319

32 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Think it was -Tuchels head was all over the shop apparently with his long marriage breakdown - should have been given some time out

Agreed. I said at the time that even if it was an inevitable decision, they shouldn't have done it in such a rash manner.

Abramovich never intended to keep Ranieri for long, but at least he gave him a full season.

He even gave Di Matteo close to half a season

16 minutes ago, Vesper said:

1 win, 6 losses

FA Cup

32ac09c25011c0b46f8e695a3cd25e23.png

League Cup

bf8a3582f21cfa89721bf981659eec2b.png

Don't forget during this period we also won the Europa League, Champions League, Super Cup and Club World Cup too.

And in many of those cup runs they involved turning over all the other big 6 on a number of occasions. The point remains that we showed more than enough times we were capable of beating all the other 'big' sides and competing with them, but have failed to show that strength and consistency to compete week after week in the league.

Forget it Potter is not going anywhere. They somehow came to the conclusion Potter was the man, gave him that stupid 5 year deal and now we are stuck with him for at least 3 more. In this case, I really think it is different with Boehly. Even if we at some point sack Potter we will not ring someone like Poch or Luis Enrique but rather Thomas Frank or Eddie Howe. They want to follow this American blueprint of building a squad and a coaching staff  from the ground up with their integrated model... no idea if it will work out long term but it sure as hell will produce terrible results in the short term.

15 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Forget it Potter is not going anywhere. They somehow came to the conclusion Potter was the man, gave him that stupid 5 year deal and now we are stuck with him for at least 3 more. In this case, I really think it is different with Boehly. Even if we at some point sack Potter we will not ring someone like Poch or Luis Enrique but rather Thomas Frank or Eddie Howe. They want to follow this American blueprint of building a squad and a coaching staff  from the ground up with their integrated model... no idea if it will work out long term but it sure as hell will produce terrible results in the short term.

Unless we nosedived into a relegation scrap, there's no chance he is being sacked this season. Given the investment made for him and the vibes they have given out that this is very much now a longer term approach to things compared to the boom and bust nature of the Abramovich years, they will not bite the bullet anytime soon.

Personally I think he'll be given this season and next in order to show and prove that the club is on an upward trajectory. 

In fairness the squad has needed a balanced approach to a rebuild for years, and at the very least the players we have been looking to move for fill me with confidence that this could be done over time. The issue is us fans haven't been used to a project like this for 20+ years and that's what Potter is fighting I think more than anything. 

47 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

That's always been Chelsea problem short term, and we moaned about that, now we are moaning because the club is taking a new direction! So we miss out on CL for a season, shit happens, I for one would rather see this club fix it's self properly over getting top 4, am not saying potter is the man or isn't, but regardless, short term will never do.

4 hours ago, Superblue said:

Unless we nosedived into a relegation scrap, there's no chance he is being sacked this season. Given the investment made for him and the vibes they have given out that this is very much now a longer term approach to things compared to the boom and bust nature of the Abramovich years, they will not bite the bullet anytime soon.

Personally I think he'll be given this season and next in order to show and prove that the club is on an upward trajectory. 

In fairness the squad has needed a balanced approach to a rebuild for years, and at the very least the players we have been looking to move for fill me with confidence that this could be done over time. The issue is us fans haven't been used to a project like this for 20+ years and that's what Potter is fighting I think more than anything. 

What I was most concerned about when we hired Potter remains the same: I am not sure the players are running for him. He's a bit too small a fish in this pond, and will get eaten by bigger egos and pay checks.

The level of commitment I see today is very similar to the what I was seeing in the final seasons with Tuchel. Thought sacking him was a mistake before, because it empowers this group of players, and it may be a mistake now too, but the players are not delivering the level of commitment needed at this level. The high press in particular (more like it the lack thereof) is a fucking joke atm.

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

What I was most concerned about when we hired Potter remains the same: I am not sure the players are running for him. He's a bit too small a fish in this pond, and will get eaten by bigger egos and pay checks.

The level of commitment I see today is very similar to the what I was seeing in the final seasons with Tuchel. Thought sacking him was a mistake before, because it empowers this group of players, and it may be a mistake now too, but the players are not delivering the level of commitment needed at this level. The high press in particular (more like it the lack thereof) is a fucking joke atm.

Strongly agree with this.

I worry about this, and the only way that it's going change is if he reshapes the squad over the years, like Arteta did. Weeding out players like Aubemayang and Ozil. But that was a long and painful process.

Edited by Blue Armour

Hi everyone

i was in favour of Potter being given a chance, it started well until we went to Brighton and since then the wheels have come off.

He was playing attacking football for the first few games, but then it was like a switch had been turned off and the players decided they would rather go back to their old habits and start passing the ball around rather then get the ball forward and attack.

compare us to Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool and City as soon as the other team loses the ball, they all attack in numbers, their wide players all want to beat their man and either shoot or pass it into a dangerous area, compare that to Pulisic, Ziych and others, they get the ball and slow everything down. If Potter wants to keep his job he needs to lay the law down and tell them to get the ball forward at every opportunity and stop messing around with 1 pass forward and 2 passes sideways or back.If the players refuse to do as instructed then pull them off straight away, Jose wasn't scared to sub players who didn't follow orders.

9 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

That's always been Chelsea problem short term, and we moaned about that, now we are moaning because the club is taking a new direction! So we miss out on CL for a season, shit happens, I for one would rather see this club fix it's self properly over getting top 4, am not saying potter is the man or isn't, but regardless, short term will never do.

No and although its brought results before the whole sacking when things go wrong it also has led to problems when a new manager comes in and is left with players who fitted the old managers system or vison which may be completely different.

I'm happy to be patient it's just the way we play that's a concern. No urgency and you don't get goals going backwards to Kepa!

9 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Nah nah nah. The club needs massive overhaul in all the structures, that's true, but it's not the reason people are upset. People are upset, because throwing away who we are and suddenly starting to think of ourselves as lower-mid-table team and proving it with handing the wheel to amateur manager + transfer policy in form of buying the same type of random, uninspiring players but thrice the price is not the way to go.

No problem with missing out on CL with Lampard and transfer ban, but missing out on CL because we are being managed by whoever he is, enforced with Everton-level transfer intake is, indeed, a disgrace.

Serious question: What, in particular, is the aim of process aka "new direction" Boehly is trying to pull off? Hire shitty, sub par personnel, spend 3-4 years mid table to mold this pack into top 4 contenders? Same thing could be achived (or rather, stamped, as top4 was less uncertain under TT anyway) in a whim, just by getting Tuchel players he wanted and/or hiring sporting director (not someone Boehly found behind dumpster and liked his "vision"). Rebuild is supposed to let us step up, not go down to come back to exact same spot, just with extra steps, suffering and money.

Edited by Vegetable

Personally think he deserves until January in a year's time, getting this transfer window + summer + a full preseason under his belt with the club signing excellent players not specifically for him but because they are excellent players any manager will be happy with. If he can't get us firing by then it will be time to move on, imo. Personally I don't see that another coach could have got much out of this squad different to what we are seeing, Tuchel also struggled in the end after all.

I do think you have to be patient and give manager's a chance because otherwise we'd also have fired people like Klopp and Pep and never got to see them deliver us to a high level.

We really seem like the least threatening team in the prem atm. The attack is really that bad...

We play with no pace, no aggression, and we always get bullied into back passes. There is no strengths I can think of for this squad.

Absolutely no one is worried about our midfield which to me is still our biggest problem. None of them can advance the ball themselves except maybe Kova on his day but even then he always lacks the final product. 

Any team willing to press us for the majority of the game will most likely get a result. We don't have a proper striker to hold up the ball or at least run into channels to open things up for others... Sterling and Pulisic can take players on but both have been holding onto the ball too much leading to nothing. Havertz and Mount still don't know what their best position is and disappear far too often to be considered elite. Just a bunch of back passing merchants on this team...

Bad roster combined with a bunch of poor signings that didn't make much sense has gotten us in this mess. Cucu for 60m? 

I was critical of Tuchel but here we are still so reliant on wingbacks. 

Potter will most likely get the rest of the season to see how this plays out but so far it doesn't look good. 

21 minutes ago, Blues11 said:

We really seem like the least threatening team in the prem atm. The attack is really that bad...

We play with no pace, no aggression, and we always get bullied into back passes. There is no strengths I can think of for this squad.

Absolutely no one is worried about our midfield which to me is still our biggest problem. None of them can advance the ball themselves except maybe Kova on his day but even then he always lacks the final product. 

Any team willing to press us for the majority of the game will most likely get a result. We don't have a proper striker to hold up the ball or at least run into channels to open things up for others... Sterling and Pulisic can take players on but both have been holding onto the ball too much leading to nothing. Havertz and Mount still don't know what their best position is and disappear far too often to be considered elite. Just a bunch of back passing merchants on this team...

Bad roster combined with a bunch of poor signings that didn't make much sense has gotten us in this mess. Cucu for 60m? 

I was critical of Tuchel but here we are still so reliant on wingbacks. 

Potter will most likely get the rest of the season to see how this plays out but so far it doesn't look good. 

There's about 8 or so teams who have scored less then us in the league...and 2 of them are only one behind on goals scored. Its dire! One player has scored more then our entire team