Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Prem is great because a random Watford who eventualy fell in championship can buy one of best prospects from ligue 1 in Sarr. Last PL team can afford more than most top teams in europe. In Spain, you have Barca, Real, Atletico who can spend. Others have to sell to buy. Valencia finished among top, yet they are in complete destruction sadly. Any team that stays in PL, is financialy strong to build a better foundation. That means while teams like Valencia have ups and downs every season, if you can stay in PL, and if you buy well, you can become very good and stable team, ala Leicester, or in past years Everton, Southampton, Watford, Aston Villa years ago etc..in spain, its always all about Real and Barca. It gets boring unless you are big fan of either. For neutrals and people who like entertainment, thats a no go. Bayernliga or Juveliga are even worse.

Imagine Leganes or Mallorca fork this kind of cash on such player? And they wouldnt go there anyway. 

And while Watford suck for most of the season, and would get thrashed by most La liga sides, they have this kind of players who can bring couple of surprises like win vs Liverpool 3:0. 

And thats all what PL is. Entertainment. Last team gets more interest and fame than Sevilla on global scale because you have neutral followers. PL fantasy is most popular fantasy football league in the world. EA has PL as the only fully licenced league in their game. Because money. Because popularity. Many people dont follow football, but they follow PL for the entertainment. 

Same is with NBA or Superbowl. You have shitload of "fans " who know jackshit about basketball or american football, yet they watch some games because of entertainment that is provided with loads of cash. 

And PL is same. Its the most entertaining league in the world. Sooner or later it will become most quality once again too.

6 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Another thing to note is that we are looking at a centre back to come in and be the lynchpin of our side. A number of the most attractive options are young and long term signings such as Rice and Upamecano, but even then they come with risks (Rice doesn't play centre back very often at present, and Upamecano can still be very rash and inconsistent at times which is expected with his age). I wouldn't say at present there is one outstanding candidate for this role currently.

Another year of players such as these playing outside the spotlight and pressure at Chelsea could actually be good for their development, and put them in better stead for such a move.

Agree. What needs to be considered at the moment is that there is no real CB where we can all go, 'yes, let's get him and we're sorted'. 

At the moment, the two expensive options are Rice and Upa. However, as you say Rice hasn't really played at CB and Upa can still be rash, whilst he has a €42m buyout next season. For that reason, Upa has to be seen as a Summer 2021 signing and Rice is just plain difficult owing to his contract situation, nationality and because he is playing for Wet Spam. Waiting another year on both of those two make a lot of sense as both can continue to develop and waiting a year isn't going to raise Rice's price much, whilst Upa actually becomes cheaper. 

After that, we have the situation were finances need to be thought about. For sure, we have some money because of Hazard, Luiz, Morata then the sale of loan players like Pasalic, Hector, Da Silva, Kalas etc. However, we also have a lot of dregs that are bleeding us. That means we cannot go completely crazy as Werner (£47m), Chilwell(£50m), Ziyech (£37m) and Havertz (£80m) is £215m'ish. 

For me, after Havertz and Chilwell we need 1xCB and 1xGK. Obviously in an ideal world it would be Oblak and Gimenez/Upa or something but it isn't realistic. For that reason, I would be ok with Silva and say Foster and say Summer 2021 is when we fix CB, GK and possibly DM as the problems with the squad atm are so vast, it was never being done in 1 window. 

44 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Because people make out like it's some god league streets above all the others which is just absolute bull. Players have come to this league from "inferior" league's and gone up a level, also dropped after leaving aswell.

Aguero, Silva, Mata, (Xavi) Alonso, Torres, Cazorla, Drogba, Hazard, Firmino, Salah, Alderwierld, Sanchez, Pulisic, Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Auba, Kante, Cech, Essien, Carvalho, Diego Costa, Fabregas, Son all examples of players who did better in the Prem than the so called easier league's and that's just off the top of my head.

Also regarding competive, the PL has had 4 runaway winners in the last 5 season's (all of the last four Champions got 90 plus points and 30 or more wins), any other league gets laughed at for those type of stats. Also not to mention, Dortmund lost their last three home games in the Bundi, when was the last time that happened to one of the big boys in the PL?

How well have Dortmund been doing in Europe recently?

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think signing Silva would be a sensible move.

Firstly we seem to be focusing purely on first choice targets and no longer settling for something else. So if an area such as centre back therefore needs to be addressed in the next summer then fine. I'd rather we be bringing in first choice targets that also the manager is in total agreement over, then spreading budgets out thinner to try and get more players that may not make as big an improvement on what we already have. As a result, if Silva is an option on a free transfer with realistic wage demands then it all seems to make sense.

We don't know how he will fare in the Premier League and I highly doubt he'd be capable of playing game in game out anyway, particularly in a condensed season like next one.

But the experience and mentality he could bring to the team could prove to be invaluable.

It shouldn't be forgotten that we've lost Pedro and Willian this summer, and there are now very few players left in our squad who have regular experience of winning titles and trophies. You still need the balance within the squad and we have to be careful that we don't end up 'too young' in the makeup of our squad.

There are two big examples in our last two title winning seasons of big players and personalities having an influence behind the scenes. Drogba in 2015 and Terry in 2017. Neither played big roles in the team but would have been huge in the dressing room and in training to ensure standards were always maintained and calm, experienced heads were around in difficult moments. 

A number of our squad in their early 20's will have grown up through their teens seeing Thiago Silva as one of, if not the very best centre back, at the time. I think having a player of that ilk around the younger players, and who although in the twilight of his career has still shown he's more than capable of playing at the highest level, would be a phenomenal boost. 

You don't always need a leader like John Terry, leading by example wearing his heart on his sleeve. Silva is much more in the mould of Desailly where his timing, anticipation and positional awareness has always been impeccable and he'll be looking to constantly educate the other defensive players around him, both in game and in training.

Perhaps the biggest question if Silva were to join is which centre back would leave. The likelihood would be Tomori out on loan but I feel he would be the best to benefit from Silva's presence in the squad.

You took the words out of my mouth. 

I also see Silva in the same mould as Desailly and think he could be a good influence on some of the younger CB's. I too am hoping it could be Tomori, but not sure if he will go out on loan. No doubt that Zouma/Christensen can use some education though. Even the older guys.

Btw, if silva comes in (Please god). What do you think our options for CB should be for the next season? We will have 6 CBs for 4 slots -

Silva

Zouma

Ampadu

Tomori

Andreas

Rudiger

I have listed them down in terms of my priority. Rudi should be sold. Just not good enough. Another similar season, and we will have another immovable dreg. 

Andreas is a weird one. You can see the technique and the talent, but the execution is poor. Probably a loan spell for him?

Zouma was our best CB for the season, and should be the partner for silva.

I really rate and like ampadu. I feel if given the oppurtunity, he will really shine and show his class. 

Would love to know what everyone else thinks? Who would be your 4 CBs for the seasoj?

2 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

Btw, if silva comes in (Please god). What do you think our options for CB should be for the next season? We will have 6 CBs for 4 slots -

Silva

Zouma

Ampadu

Tomori

Andreas

Rudiger

I have listed them down in terms of my priority. Rudi should be sold. Just not good enough. Another similar season, and we will have another immovable dreg. 

Andreas is a weird one. You can see the technique and the talent, but the execution is poor. Probably a loan spell for him?

Zouma was our best CB for the season, and should be the partner for silva.

I really rate and like ampadu. I feel if given the oppurtunity, he will really shine and show his class. 

Would love to know what everyone else thinks? Who would be your 4 CBs for the seasoj?

My choice: Thiago, Zouma, Rudiger, Tomori.

What's most likely to happen: Thiago, Zouma, Rudiger, Christensen

Ampadu we don't even know where he will be playing in the long term. I suspect he will end up playing DM. Plus, he hasn't played much football in these last couple of years. Even if he's willing to stay and fight for his place, he needs to play regularly to develop. The club will certainly convince him to go on loan.

Tomori for some unexplicable reason is at the bottom of the pecking order. He has proved this season that he has the level required to play as a starter for a PL club. Plenty of potential and probably the one with the highest ceiling. He's the one who stands to learn the most from Thiago if he's coming but I suspect the Club/Lamps have different plans.

Zouma our most reliable CB this season. Decent defender all around, big in the air and quick to recover. Has shown willingness to be more ambitious with the ball. I suppose he is also the one with the biggest sale value but unless we bring in someone better, no chance of him leaving.

Rudiger was phenomenal under Sarri but it's no secret he was very erratic this season. It's difficult to justify why he wasn't dropped for Tomori for a good part of the season. I haven't given up on him yet because he proved to be a good player in the past so there's still a chance of him bouncing back next season although I wouldn't expect much. But even if we wanted to, I think he would prove difficult to sell.

Christensen is the one I think needs to leave. I don't think he's a good fit for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned the tide and turned into one of the best CBs in either Bundesliga or La Liga. But here he's being bullied by every striker in the league. I'm not even sure he's a ball playing CB. Even Zouma is more audacious with his passing.

59 minutes ago, Rapkun said:

My choice: Thiago, Zouma, Rudiger, Tomori.

What's most likely to happen: Thiago, Zouma, Rudiger, Christensen

Ampadu we don't even know where he will be playing in the long term. I suspect he will end at playing DM. Plus, he hasn't played much football in these last couple of years. Even if he's willing to stay and fight for his place, he needs to play regularly to develop. The club will certainly convince him to go on loan.

Tomori for some unexplicable reason is at the bottom of the pecking order. He has proved this season that he has the level required to play as a starter for a PL club. Plenty of potential and probably the one with the highest ceiling. He's the one who stands to learn the most from Thiago if he's coming but I suspect the Club/Lamps have different plans.

Zouma our most reliable CB this season. Decent defender all around, big in the air and quick to recover. Has shown willingness to be more ambitious with the ball. I suppose he is also the one with the biggest sale value but unless we bring in someone better, no chance of him leaving.

Rudiger was phenomenal under Sarri but it's no secret he was very erratic this season. It's difficult to justify why he wasn't dropped for Tomori for a good part of the season. I haven't given up on him yet because he proved to be a good player in the past so there's still a chance of him bouncing back next season although I wouldn't expect much. But even if we wanted to, I think he would prove difficult to sell.

Christensen is the one I think needs to leave. I don't think he's a good fit for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned the tide and turned into one of the best CBs in either Bundesliga or La Liga. But here he's being bullied by every striker in the league. I'm not even sure he's a ball playing CB. Even Zouma is more audacious with his passing.

I would have offered AC plus €15m for Ginter

that is around €50m (£45m) for Ginter

I rate Ginter at £40m or so, so the extra £5m is due to the makeweight aspect (you almost never get full value for makeweight on swaps + cash deals)

AC was superb in the Budesliga WITH GLADBACH in the past

so is a proven talent there, plus he is over 2 years younger, so added value in that regard as well

as usual, you can multiple the T-Markt values (as long as they are the across the board COVID-19 devaluations, which both AC and Ginter are) by 1.5 to get what a player should cost  (a range, not exact figure)

086c470e70a9d20033eaccccda919dbd.png3fd04290b109cdaf41045bfa8cb86f06.png

22 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I would have offered AC plus €15m for Ginter

that is around €50m (£45m) for Ginter

I rate Ginter at £40m or so, so the extra £5m is due to the makeweight aspect (you almost never get full value for makeweight on swaps + cash deals)

AC was superb in the Budesliga WITH GLADBACH in the past

so is a proven talent there, plus he is over 2 years younger, so added value in that regard as well

as usual, you can multiple the T-Markt values (as long as they are the across the board COVID-19 devaluations, which both AC and Ginter are) by 1.5 to get what a player should cost  (a range, not exact figure)

086c470e70a9d20033eaccccda919dbd.png3fd04290b109cdaf41045bfa8cb86f06.png

Gladbach is in CL and they will unlikely sell Ginter. 

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

This year? KO'd by the finalist's at the same stage England's runaway champions got dumped out by a watered down Atletico side featuring Morata.

Last year?

51 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Gladbach is in CL and they will unlikely sell Ginter. 

yes, it is why I removed him from the possibles list

I was just talking about what I would have tried in the past perhaps (January or the day their season ended, which maybe we did do anyway and got turned down)

Eduardo Camavinga: “I am Rennais, it is quite simple.”

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/eduardo-camavinga-i-am-rennais-it-is-quite-simple/

Speaking to Téléfoot Chaine, 17-year-old midfield talent Eduardo Camavinga confirmed his decision to remain with Rennes for the 2020/21 campaign.

On his 2019/20 campaign, that saw him receive French naturalisation, qualify for the Champions’ League & get his first cap with France U21s.

It is true it is quite crazy, but I had to prepare for it. It is true that a season like that is really incredible. I didn’t think that I would get into the 1st team squad as quickly as I did, because that was not the plan, the plan was for me take things on progressively. And it is true that to start immediately was a surprise.

On Julien Stéphan:

I have a good relationship with him, he made me a professional. He knows me well, I know him well. It is true that it is the best thing when a coach believes in you. He helps me with my positioning, in exercises, he works a lot with me. 

On the Champions’ League:

We want to progress, it is clear that this is the first time we are facing something like this. We will have to take it game by game.

On being seen as France’s latest star:

I live normally, I do not pay much attention to it. I am in my life, it is nice, but I still have my teenage life.

On transfer rumours:

It is football. In football there are rumours, true things, false things. I don’t pay attention to it. Quite simply I am Rennais. I have 2 years left on my contract and I am Rennais today. I will be Rennais this season.

On what the French national team means to him:

World Champions, two stars. For the moment I am more focused on the France U21s and qualifying with them for the Euros. Of course it would be an honour to be called up with the As.

On a choice between the Euros (with the As) or the Olympics:

I would prefer the Euros, quite simply. First of all I am going to focus on my performances with my club, if the national team calls me up I would go with honour and pride. 

On what he wants for this season:

Health. To be more decisive and for us to concede less goals. And that Rennes remains in Europe.