Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

33 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Profit comes first for them. Roman wanted us to be European & World champs so badly. During the majority of his ownership, he put his money where his mouth was, which is a large reason we were as successful as we were.

In this specific case I’m glad we didn’t do it, though. I think a monster fee + huge wages for Osimhen would be a mistake for us. For me, we need a more complete striker and not a more classic #9. With the financial outlay recently I think another mega-money flop would be hugely damaging and Osimhen definitely had bust potential written all over him.

If a prime, world class striker who was also a top all around footballer was available I’d want us to pay whatever it took. A Luis Suarez sort of style for example. 

Club really do appear to be all in on Nico Jackson being the star man and becoming truly elite whilst developing Guiu at the same time as his backup.

51 minutes ago, Pizy said:

In this specific case I’m glad we didn’t do it, though. I think a monster fee + huge wages for Osimhen would be a mistake for us. For me, we need a more complete striker and not a more classic #9. With the financial outlay recently I think another mega-money flop would be hugely damaging and Osimhen definitely had bust potential written all over him.

If a prime, world class striker who was also a top all around footballer was available I’d want us to pay whatever it took. A Luis Suarez sort of style for example. 

Club really do appear to be all in on Nico Jackson being the star man and becoming truly elite whilst developing Guiu at the same time as his backup.

Lukaku's departure to Napoli is inevitable, which would have considerably reduced any outlay for Osimhen. Personally, I don't get the narrative around "gambles," given that no player is guaranteed to duplicate their form elsewhere or perform to their full ability. Osimhen would have been a calculated gamble, with Lukaku moving the opposite way.

Based on your prior statements, I assume you'd support Alvarez joining for £75 million~; nevertheless, he'd be a bigger gamble, imo.

3 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Lukaku's departure to Napoli is inevitable, which would have considerably reduced any outlay for Osimhen. Personally, I don't get the narrative around "gambles," given that no player is guaranteed to duplicate their form elsewhere or perform to their full ability. Osimhen would have been a calculated gamble, with Lukaku moving the opposite way.

Based on your prior statements, I assume you'd support Alvarez joining for £75 million~; nevertheless, he'd be a bigger gamble, imo.

Agreed on that all signings are a gamble to some degree.

Compared to a limited player like Lukaku, Alvarez is as sure as it gets. Alvarez can play in all 3 attacking positions, or even behind the striker. He's just an excellent round footballer; no, he's not a pure striker, which is a good thing in my book.

55 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Yeah, as rob says below I’d be all for Alvarez because he’s more than just a finisher/poacher. And as much as people often roll their eyes and downplay the importance, him being PL proven would be a big plus. 

Even if we were really intent on getting Alvarez behind the scenes, Enzo probably killed any chance of that happening. Imagine the optics and the message it would send to our black players if we signed a dude who may have been on that very bus signing along with Enzo…

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

Agreed on that all signings are a gamble to some degree.

Compared to a limited player like Lukaku, Alvarez is as sure as it gets. Alvarez can play in all 3 attacking positions, or even behind the striker. He's just an excellent round footballer; no, he's not a pure striker, which is a good thing in my book.

28 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, as rob says below I’d be all for Alvarez because he’s more than just a finisher/poacher. And as much as people often roll their eyes and downplay the importance, him being PL proven would be a big plus. 

Even if we were really intent on getting Alvarez behind the scenes, Enzo probably killed any chance of that happening. Imagine the optics and the message it would send to our black players if we signed a dude who may have been on that very bus signing along with Enzo…

He has scored 20 goals in 67 EPL games, playing for comfortably the most dominant side in the league. This isn't a dig at him; I just feel we need an out-and-out scorer with the current crop of players. 

The Firmino comparison is lazy when you consider who was playing on either side of him. Imagine Firmino playing upfront; we'd be reliant on Palmer (based on last season's numbers).

15 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

He has scored 20 goals in 67 EPL games, playing for comfortably the most dominant side in the league. This isn't a dig at him; I just feel we need an out-and-out scorer with the current crop of players. 

The Firmino comparison is lazy when you consider who was playing on either side of him. Imagine Firmino playing upfront; we'd be reliant on Palmer (based on last season's numbers).

I honestly don't understand this point esp when you consider he plays, like I mentioned in multiple positions in attack, and their main striker is Haaland. He even played many of these games behind Haaland.

I also don't understand when people simply project number of goals from other leagues into the PL when we sign strikers from other leagues. Similarly you can't project what Alvarez would do in a completely different system, with teammates with different characteristics, and playing in a different role.

I'd always trust a player who is an excellent footballer like him, with great skill on the ball, versus limited strikers like Lukaku.
I would love to see Alvarez linking up with Cole for ex, but that's me I guess.

3 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I think wage structure came in the way and I don't think Osimhen is the kind of player you break a wage structure for. 

7 hours ago, Pizy said:

You think it’s frustrating for us, try being a Liverpool or Newcastle fan. I don’t think either of them have signed a single player and their fans are going mad about it. Liverpool fans in particular are livid. I don’t think City or Arse have brought anyone in either, though their fans are of course more calm and understanding since they’re in such a good spot with their squads.

At least we’ve signed 4 players that will be big contributors. And just the returning injured players make me excited personally. 

The only really frustrating thing for me about our club is how we have suddenly decided that we won’t even TRY to target someone from the truly top bracket anymore if there’s a special one available. When just in 2024 alone we were fine spending 100m twice. I can understand them wanting to be more responsible with the spending going forward but I’d love to see us supplement all these younger or cheaper signings with just 1 “money is no object for this one special player” signing.

The market's changed. Everyone's more sober this window because of financial concerns. The dominos haven't moved like they did in the 22 or 23 summer window. 

I'm okay with the business. I don't think we have signed 4 contributors - I think KDH, Tosin, might see some gametime. But our first XI hasn't improved other than injured players coming back. Even with that, we could really use a GK, ST, LW at least. 

PSG and Barca just wandering around throwing cash at all sorts and getting the nod from players like Osimhen, Neves and Williams to Barca

Like I said yesterday, Osimhen will pull up tress in that shit league and Williams get his dream move to the ever skint Barca who will pay in 300 installments to get him

11 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Williams get his dream move to the ever skint Barca who will pay in 300 installments to get him

And bully him into taking a pay cut, publicly shaming him if he wont basically play for free. Only a matter of time.

6 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Yeah, but of those 67 games, he has only played the equivalent of 45 games at 4090 minutes. On top of that he has 10 assists, so that is 20 goals and 10 assists in 45 games. 

His CL stats read - 17 games, 736 mins (equivalent of 8 games), 8 goals, 4 assists. 

On top of that he is firmly playing second fiddle to Häland and drops into midfield a lot and has shown he is technical and tenacious enough to play and be trusted by Pep - which is a feat in itself - see what he did to Kalvin Phillips after a big money transfer. 

I don't see anyone as good as Alverez on the market that is potentially gettable. David for instance is pony but has nice numbers because he plays in France - hence why no one is picking him up for £20-£30m. 

Edited by King Kante

Leny Yoro to Manchester United - here we go!

Let me start with a big ‘here we go’ as Leny Yoro to Manchester United is a done deal. We’re just waiting now for the player to sign his contract with Man United, but everything is done in terms of the agreement. Lille already accepted an offer last week of €50m plus €12m in add-ons - a fantastic offer for Lille for a player who is out of contract next summer - and then United were also able to agree a contract with Yoro, who will join on a five-year deal with the option of one more year on top of that.

Yoro has already been in Manchester in the last 24 hours to undergo medical tests, with the first part of those tests already done. He will complete more tests and then sign the contract as a new Manchester United player. My opinion is that although this is expensive, it looks like an excellent and elite signing for Man United, as we know Yoro was also wanted by a number of other top clubs.

Real Madrid made their move but it was always the same, clear strategy: join now for €20-25m or join next summer on free transfer. Real have been clear with Yoro but he didn’t want to wait longer, Real were never going to pay €50m for a player out of contract in one season. Man United’s strategy was expensive but absolutely smart and perfect, the only way to sign the player. Liverpool were also interested but they also didn’t want to spend over €60m package for Yoro, even if they appreciated the player.

Paris Saint-Germain were also interested but Yoro wanted to try a new challenge in a different league, so really it was Real Madrid who were the main rivals to United in this deal. Yoro waited one week for Real Madrid, but they were out of the conversation with Lille after they accepted Man United’s bid. Then after a week of waiting, they understood that Yoro eventually decided to accept the chance to move to Old Trafford instead. Real Madrid was Yoro’s biggest dream, he really wanted to go there, but then he decided to move to Man United after seeing how strong and convincing they were in talks with the player and his family, also in terms of the project and offering him an important salary.

8418bf10-436f-435e-805f-7bcdd34e6c62_114

And so United have been able to sign a fantastic defender, it looks like a really great signing. Some fans have been asking me about what this deal means for the interest in Matthijs de Ligt - for now, the discussions have been positive and advanced but now for Man United it’s time to think about the outgoings. Man United still want one more centre-back but selling players is absolutely crucial for them, this is why the Matthijs de Ligt story remains open but not imminent now.

Xavi Simons future to be decided soon

Xavi Simons continues to be linked with Manchester United and it’s something realistic because there has long been plenty of interest from him around Europe, including in England. However, I’ve been checking with my sources and they’re still saying the same thing - that Simons is most likely to continue in Germany next season.

We know that Bayern Munich are trying to sign Simons, but RB Leipzig are also still absolutely in the mix. Nothing has been decided yet, but it’s between Bayern and Leipzig. Max Eberl is pushing every day to bring Simons to Bayern after he also signed him when he was at Leipzig last summer.

I don’t expect this to be a long saga that drags into August because Simons wants to decide soon, but for now it’s between Bayern and Leipzig, and Man United are not in advanced talks over Simons.

Still no breakthrough in Riccardo Calafiori transfer talks

I know Arsenal fans are keen for an update on Riccardo Calafiori, but there are no substantial changes to the situation yet. Arsenal and Bologna remain in contact but there’s no agreement over the €50m fee.

The issue is that Bologna want guaranteed money while Arsenal’s proposal includes add-ons structure to get to €50m potential fee. Despite what has been suggested elsewhere, there’s no ‘issue’ with Basel: they will receive 50% of the deal, that’s it. Bologna want €50m fixed exactly because they have to give over €20m to Basel, this is the point.

Let’s see if the clubs can reach a breakthrough in talks soon, but for now there isn’t really any major development to report.

Jean-Clair Todibo to Juventus latest

Juventus can bid for Nice defender Jean-Clair Todibo as soon as they sell at least one more player. Talks are ongoing to sell Soule, Chiesa, Dean Huijsen. For sure Juventus already have the green light from Todibo, and he will wait for them despite West Ham agreeing a deal with Nice.

Juve will be Todibo’s priority, so let’s see what they can do in terms of player sales before making their move to Nice. We’ll see as well if other clubs get involved as it’s still early this summer, so anything can happen.

He looks like he is 12

Who is Gabriel Mec, a Grêmio prospect targeted by Chelsea?

At the base of Tricolor since the age of 9, the youngster can be traded by Tricolor even before reaching the professional level

https://gauchazh.clicrbs.com.br/esportes/gremio/noticia/2024/07/quem-e-gabriel-mec-promessa-do-gremio-na-mira-do-Chelsea-clyoumako00hq011rk6r94sw4.html

5001489_7baf373893dd558.jpg?w=700

— Hey, everything Mec?

The Rio de Janeiro slang accompanies the name of one of the great talents of the Grêmio youth team. In Rio de Janeiro, where the player comes from, Mec is "translated" as calm, smooth. 

Expressions that do not symbolize the difficult journey of the 16-year-old player and his family. Before standing out in the category of athletes born in 2008, the attacking midfielder faced the most difficult side of football. 

But the family's sacrifices served as a foundation for the boy to do what he does best. Now, he is about to sign his first professional contract with Grêmio. And Chelsea is interested in taking him to Europe .

Before becoming Mec , Gabriel Ferreira de Carvalho was called Balotelli in his first days of training at CT do Cristal , in Porto Alegre. After all, another boy who came from Rio was known by the carioca slang. Today he is known as Nathan Fernandes. That's right: the striker who shines under Renato's command was the original Mec. But the nickname stuck with the boy Gabriel.

— It’s kid slang. He and Nathan used to say it a lot at CT. Nathan was the one they called Mec — comments Diego, Gabriel’s older brother.

After appearing in the news for his talent on the field, Mec (Gabriel) also made headlines due to the expectation of signing his first professional contract . The parties have already agreed on most of the terms of the contract, but they are still waiting for Neymar, the father of the player Neymar Júnior, to come and sign the contract.

— We are waiting. I don't know much about the negotiations, we leave that to Cleber and Neymar (agents) . They tell us to stay calm and that everything will be fine. The biggest advice we give Gabriel is to keep a good head and not get carried away. This was built with a lot of sweat. We know where we came from and where we can go, but there is a lot of room for change — Diego highlights.

To make Gabriel's dream come true, the family split up a few years ago. Robson, the father, stayed in Rio with his son Diego, who was also pursuing the goal of becoming a soccer player. His mother, Ana Márcia, moved to Porto Alegre in 2018 with Gabriel, who was just nine years old. Their income of R$1,500 supported two households as best they could. Nathan Fernandes' family took in Gabriel and his mother for a while. But they also stayed in other homes and even a boarding house.

— He came here with his mother, he was very young. He was only nine years old. We didn't know if it would work out. The plan was for him to stay for three months to see how it would be. And they spent three years alone. In the beginning, we didn't have any help from anyone. It was just us on our own. What I earned wasn't enough to keep them here. We even raffled off some money to collect and send. He wore the boots donated by my friends — recalls Robson.

In 2020, the plan was to reunite the family once and for all. The four of them came to Porto Alegre, rented an apartment, and the parents found work in the capital. Until the pandemic made life even more difficult. Robson and Ana Márcia's layoffs cut into the family's income. The father called his son and told him that they would have to return to Rio de Janeiro.

— He beat his chest and said to me: "Dad, give me a chance. I want to make history here. Help me win," Robson recalls, emotionally.

The savings didn't last long. With no money to return to Rio or maintain the apartment, the worst-case scenario approached. But the solidarity of those who knew the family saved them from living on the streets and going hungry. Now in the Grêmio under-20 team, Lucas Camilo and his family welcomed the Ferreira de Carvalho family for a period.

— We lost everything, we didn't even have anything to eat. All our materials were gone. A family took us in so we wouldn't have to live on the streets. And we received basic food baskets to help us — says the father of the new Grêmio star.

Gabriel, Robson and Diego kept in shape by walking near the Cristal training center. The brothers trained in one of the local squares. Perseverance during the family's most difficult time is the fuel that drives the player on the field today. 

A force that made a difference when sports activities resumed. The young man's growth was gradual. And it also included an improvement in his diet after the financial difficulties faced by the family. 

The turning point in Gabriel's story was the 2023 Efipan. The player's talent was evident. Even in the eyes of Neymar's company, which entered into a partnership with the player's agents to help manage the career of the promising Tricolor player.

Currently in the under-17 category, under the command of former midfielder Itaqui, Mec receives praise for the development he has demonstrated. Mainly in the physical part.

— Everyone expects something different from him. That he can unbalance the team. Nowadays, when they face us, they are teams that play more defensively and want to counterattack. We don't see Mec being fast, something he can do. Today, it's more about dribbling, one-on-one. As he's growing physically, he can also be a fast player. From now on, things will be more difficult. He's a dribbler, a vertical player, who faces physically stronger players. He's open to becoming a great athlete — praises Itaqui.

Anyone who only catches a glimpse of the moves of this playful boy, with skinny arms and legs, but capable of the most abusive dribbling possible, cannot imagine the strength that drives him. For his father, his mother and his brother, Gabriel Mec will go after anyone who stands in the way of his dream.