Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, he looks interesting but not a player we need currently. I’ve been saying for a while now that I don’t even know why we’re after any wide attackers this window. If the club is so convinced we need someone there then bring Omari into the first team. I think he’s more than good enough.

Unless we can somehow offload Sterling I think spending tens of millions on Olise or Summerville is overkill. And there are not even whispers about Sterling going.

I would make an exception for khvicha kvaratskhelia or Nico Williams, i think they are absolute upgrades. I wouldn't ever say no to such signings, where they are a no brainer over your current attackers.

Edited by Clockwork

5 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I would make an exception for khvicha kvaratskhelia or Nico Williams, i think they are absolute upgrades. I wouldn't ever say no to such signings, where they are a no brainer over your current attackers.

Can’t even imagine what sort of price De Laurentiis would demand for Kvara. Especially after they’re just about to appoint Conte who will surely never ok his transfer.

38 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Olise

Is a left footed RWer/AMF

He would be the 8th or 9th one we have

We desperately need help on the LW with a right footer.

Leão would be perfect but such a hard, crazy expensive pull.

Same for Wirtz, Kvaratskhelia, Musiala,  and Xavi Simons.

Those are your 'Big 5' right-footed options on the left. 

Kvaratskhelia is ambipedal btw, and he and Leão are the only true wingers out of the 5.

Pretty big drop off after those 5.

Nico Williams would next.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Can’t even imagine what sort of price De Laurentiis would demand for Kvara. Especially after they’re just about to appoint Conte who will surely never ok his transfer.

Not sure i believe it apparently it is 100m euros, there are PSG smoke. I would be all over that. Imagine Palmer on one side and Kvara on the other. 

Anyway one of the biggest issue at Chelsea and discussing some of the holes and needs of the squad, it is we have some players that are very good we don't need reinforcement but the issue is they spend the vast majority of 2023/2024 injured and some didn't even play. For example Nkunku when healthy is locking up that left side of attack, Lavia will be Maresca deepest midfielder, and Fofana will be the RCB. But the problem can you count on them when they have not shown they can be healthy?

One thing for sure Fofana cannot be counted on, look at this shit.

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 1.38.05 PM.png

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, he looks interesting but not a player we need currently. I’ve been saying for a while now that I don’t even know why we’re after any wide attackers this window. If the club is so convinced we need someone there then bring Omari into the first team. I think he’s more than good enough.

Unless we can somehow offload Sterling I think spending tens of millions on Olise or Summerville is overkill. And there are not even whispers about Sterling going.

we definitely need a wide player for the left side majority of or attacks go down the right, which makes us very predictable. We need the ability to also play through the left effectively too.

Bayern Munich join race to sign Athletic star Nico Williams

https://www.besoccer.com/new/bayern-munich-join-race-to-sign-athletic-star-nico-williams-1317388

Bayern Munich have joined the long list of clubs interested in Nico Williams, according to ‘Relevo’. The Athletic winger has a contract until 2027 and a termination clause of 60 million euros. At the moment, he does not consider Germany as an option.

With the Champions League final still to come, the season has come to an end for most teams. The European Championship is just around the corner and it is a tournament that will undoubtedly serve as a great showcase for players, who will be monitored by the various sporting departments.

However, the rumours have already started and the first reports on the market are already emerging. In fact, as reported by ‘Relevo’, Bayern Munich want to acquire the speed, explosiveness and dribbling of Nico Williams.

The Bavarian team joins the list of suitors for the Athletic player, who has a contract until 2027 and his main intention would be to continue wearing the colours of the Basque club. For their part, the Teutons would try to establish a similar operation to the one they carried out with Bryan Zaragoza.

Nico Williams has a clause of 60 million at Athletic. Moreover, the younger Williams does not see Germany as a possible future destination. The European Championship will be the great opportunity for the Spaniard to shine and increase his price. In fact, the aforementioned media is already saying that he will be watched by several Bayern emissaries.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nico Williams is so average. 

Another winger with a loose dribble and speed. 

No thanks. Plenty around for cheaper. 

If he was in the 30 to 35m euro range, then yes, worth a punt, but I am (after doing a deep dive the past month) not sold on him at 60m euros

as for 'plenty around' there really, after the Big 5 I listed above, are not a lot of class right footed available left wingers

Jonathan David (ambipedal, like Khvicha Kvaratskhelia) is a CF who maybe, maybe could play winger (and can play SS, but we have Nkunku there already), BUT he will cost as much or more than Nico

I doubt Pool will sell Diogo Jota, especially as Luis Díaz may be leaving

we missed out with Anthony Gordon

hard pass on Grealish (who would cost a fortune anyway)

Serge Gnabry is 29yo in a month, and is injured again, as he was most of the season

Kingsley Coman is 28yo in 2 weeks and is in the exact same postion as Gnabry, injured and missed a big chunk of the season, plus he produced almost identical stats as Gnabry in 1000 more minutes (5 goals 3 assists v Gnabry 5 goals 2 assists)

Kaoru Mitoma turns 28 at next season's end and regressed a lot, only had 3 goals all season, in 2100 minutes, and is injured now

Mathys Tel would be great (and can play CF), BUT just renwed until 2029

Ferran Torres might be an option, and Barca would perhaps sell him

Ademola Lookman? Not sure, but he is an option

Yéremy Pino is damaged goods atm

Jeremie Frimpong plays on the right, but can play on the left, downside is he will cost a fortune, and gain is not at all a true left winger

zero chance I would gamble on  Ansu Fati

same for Sancho

Crysencio Summerville would be a possibilty, but I am not sold on him at all

Antonio Nusa has had injury issues and did not kick on as expected

Désiré Doué is not exactly a goal machine, but he is very young (18yo)

bottom line, there are not a lot of options out there who are both good and available and do not cost a fortune

Edited by Vesper

I contunue to be amazed, even after almsot 6 and half years here, how many times people used the old fall-back 'oh, there are so many cheap and/or better options out there' for basically every postion

and yet they almost never list them

why?

because 90% of the time it is not the case

these supposed numerous good and cheap options simply do not exist in most examples, especially for attackers and truly good left footed CBs and also fullbacks overall

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I contunue to be amazed, even after almsot 6 and half years here, how many times people used the old fall-back 'oh, there are so many cheap and/or better options out there' for basically every postion

and yet they almost never list them

why?

because 90% of the time it is not the case

these supposed numerous good and cheap options simply do not exist in most examples, especially for attackers and truly good left footed CBs and also fullbacks overall

What I mean when I say cheaper options - is there are cheaper options for the same quality as that player. 

Not necessarily cheaper for better. 

Anyway - I'm hoping for Calafiori and maybe a CF, and I'd be happy with our transfer window. Let the lads grow together and don't need many more disruptions.

I think the signing of Enzo as manager, and having the likes of Tosin, Lavia and Palmer here, as well as others used to possession style football is actually thought out long term stuff from the ownership/sporting directors. Sometimes the correct pieces aren't available, but to some extent I think they have what they wanted now. 

I think it will take some time to truly bear fruit, but I am glad that the club made a conscious decision to tap the South American market and in particular, challenge Madrid for what are seen as the top talents coming out from there.

It's a model that has served them well and they continue to explore and I think it's with good reason. Hopefully we find it to be the same situation over the next couple of years as our signings we've made start filtering into the first team squad here.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

What I mean when I say cheaper options - is there are cheaper options for the same quality as that player. 

Not necessarily cheaper for better. 

what about

Ferran Torres or Ademola Lookman?

I have to be honest

unless it is one of the Big 5 right footed remotely available LWers/AMFs (Leão, Wirtz, Kvaratskhelia, Musiala, and Xavi Simons)

I am almost ready to accept another year of Sterling and Mudryk

the drop off is that large once you go past those 5

the big problem is Sterling's insane wages

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

what about

Ferran Torres or Ademola Lookman?

I have to be honest

unless it is one of the Big 5 right footed remotely available LWers/AMFs (Leão, Wirtz, Kvaratskhelia, Musiala, and Xavi Simons)

I am almost ready to accept another year of Sterling and Mudryk

the drop off is that large once you go past those 5

the big problem is Sterling's insane wages

How much would Lookman cost? 

I'm always sceptical about buying players that have failed everywhere bar one place, and for a limited time. 

Like for like swaps at a cheaper price are always good business IMO, but sometimes the water is murky on that. 

I'd be interested to see how Sterling does given our manager is now more in the build of the Man City way of things...