Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

14 minutes ago, DDA said:

I'm confused.. what happened to getting a striker and a CB?

We’d be insane not to spend on these two positions before pissing tens of millions up the wall on a kid from Everton.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

We’d be insane not to spend on these two positions before pissing tens of millions up the wall on a kid from Everton.

Everton fans begging their board to sell him for the initial 40m. They can't believe we might improve our offer lol. 

Embarrassing.

You can see why we need another CB. I am still sceptical about RJ there, he had couple of mistakes such as playing Kane onside for that chance the moron missed and also being in no man's land for the late goal. He did shut down Son completely tho.

But I think our constant positional changes were not optimal for our rhythm. When TT first came here, we hardly ever conceded and usually a one goal lead would be enough for us to see a game out. this almost as much as our inability to finish off chances is what is holding us back.

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

You can see why we need another CB. I am still sceptical about RJ there, he had couple of mistakes such as playing Kane onside for that chance the moron missed and also being in no man's land for the late goal. He did shut down Son completely tho.

But I think our constant positional changes were not optimal for our rhythm. When TT first came here, we hardly ever conceded and usually a one goal lead would be enough for us to see a game out. this almost as much as our inability to finish off chances is what is holding us back.

If we had a serious number 9.. this team would be hailed as the best in England.

27 minutes ago, DDA said:

If we had a serious number 9.. this team would be hailed as the best in England.

The problem for us is striking the balance between someone more clinical but also able to bring other strengths to the teams all round game.

Lukaku could easily be classed as a 'serious number 9' but his inabilities to press hard and high up the pitch and offer link up to the rest of the team was detrimental.

If we knew that Havertz could get 12 - 15 goals a season, I'd rather have him than someone like Lukaku or Ronaldo who offer little else to the team even if they were getting 18-20 goals a season.

The problem is so far in his 2 seasons Havertz hasn't shown he's capable of this. But a bigger problem for me, is that there isn't much available on the market this summer.

1 minute ago, DDA said:

Yup but we tried tons of players who looked decent elsewhere and all failed. I do not think it is that easy here simply bc playing with just 2 more attackers, the CF has to to a lot of stuff on his own, hold the ball up, link up well and still be there in the middle to finish off the chances. Ironically, the only striker who somewhat worked for us in the last 5 years was Giroud. Sterling is just terrible as F9. Broja does not look ready. The type of striker we need is not even available. Someone like prime Kane, prime Rooney or prime Etoo. ppl who are technically apt, can play with ball to feet and run in behind and are reasonably prolific in front of goal. Basically complete strikers. The jury is still out but we might have missed a trick not competing for Nunez or Vlahovic.... Osimhen is similar but i am not sure on that one either.

6 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The problem for us is striking the balance between someone more clinical but also able to bring other strengths to the teams all round game.

Lukaku could easily be classed as a 'serious number 9' but his inabilities to press hard and high up the pitch and offer link up to the rest of the team was detrimental.

If we knew that Havertz could get 12 - 15 goals a season, I'd rather have him than someone like Lukaku or Ronaldo who offer little else to the team even if they were getting 18-20 goals a season.

The problem is so far in his 2 seasons Havertz hasn't shown he's capable of this. But a bigger problem for me, is that there isn't much available on the market this summer.

I know what you're saying. That miss by Havertz today summed up the exact problem we knew that we would be facing this year without a proper 9. Jesus would have been perfect for us. He can finish and works his ass off. 

Edited by DDA

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yup but we tried tons of players who looked decent elsewhere and all failed. I do not think it is that easy here simply bc playing with just 2 more attackers, the CF has to to a lot of stuff on his own, hold the ball up, link up well and still be there in the middle to finish off the chances. Ironically, the only striker who somewhat worked for us in the last 5 years was Giroud. Sterling is just terrible as F9. Broja does not look ready. The type of striker we need is not even available. Someone like prime Kane, prime Rooney or prime Etoo. ppl who are technically apt, can play with ball to feet and run in behind and are reasonably prolific in front of goal. Basically complete strikers. The jury is still out but we might have missed a trick not competing for Nunez or Vlahovic.... Osimhen is similar but i am not sure on that one either.

He's only played about a combined 20 minutes over the first two games so difficult to say whether he looks ready. I was actually pleased with his cameo against Everton and whilst he's obviously still raw at his age and with only one Premier League season under his belt, he does offer a lot of the traits we're looking for in a front man for our system.

He's filled out a bit since last summer and looks like he'll be able to handle himself against opposition defenders but is also deceptively quick, willing to run the channels and press from the front. He's also, unlike Havertz, a natural number 9.

Obviously he falls into the same bracket of we'd be taking a punt on him being able to score the goals we need from him but we'd be doing the same now with most striker options out there.

I do think that our current squad is very capable of making the top 4 this season. What may stop us from competing for the title is a goal scorer but I'd rather wait for an opportunity to open up next summer than panic buy one this.