Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

I don't understand what you guys expect from a January window? Would Digne or Dest really be better? Both apparently want permanent transfers, not loans. Dest is also a right-back, a right-footed player... Why is he even in discussion for LWB? Has he ever played that position? Dest could come in as backup to Reece judging by Tuchel's recent comments, but that still leaves our left side exposed. Which leaves only Digne as a realistic option for LWB, but do we want an emergency stopgap on a permanent transfer without trying him out first (loaning)? I would want permanent transfers only for players that are truly quality and are in the club's future plans, not a wantaway who is being offered around to clubs because of his stinky attitude. If we could loan him first, sure why not, but otherwise a BIG no from me. What does that leave us? Emerson or Maatsen, neither are ideal, but probably the best options we got.

1 hour ago, manpe said:

I don't understand what you guys expect from a January window? Would Digne or Dest really be better? Both apparently want permanent transfers, not loans. Dest is also a right-back, a right-footed player... Why is he even in discussion for LWB? Has he ever played that position? Dest could come in as backup to Reece judging by Tuchel's recent comments, but that still leaves our left side exposed. Which leaves only Digne as a realistic option for LWB, but do we want an emergency stopgap on a permanent transfer without trying him out first (loaning)? I would want permanent transfers only for players that are truly quality and are in the club's future plans, not a wantaway who is being offered around to clubs because of his stinky attitude. If we could loan him first, sure why not, but otherwise a BIG no from me. What does that leave us? Emerson or Maatsen, neither are ideal, but probably the best options we got.

Could improvise a bit and maybe look for wingers with good aptitude to play at wingback, that way we'll have have a good variety once everyone is back fit. Adama and McNeil are two obvious candidates if we can get Wolves and Burnley respectively down to decent prices.

The thought of more Emerson is so depressing, we've seen enough sample size to know he isn't cutting it.

Dest has been the starting left back for the USMNT not very often and was really good there in early 2021. Most of his starts are at RB for the USMNT. He is fast.

edit to add an article about his performance at LB. I think he brings more to the game than Emerson.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/sergino-dest/story/4345894/dest-makes-strong-case-at-left-backwhile-aaronsonacosta-highlight-usmnts-growing-number-of-options?platform=amp

Gotta give credit to AV for their ambition.

In 19/20 and 20/21 they spent 260m euros without selling anyone. Last summer again spent 100m but sold Grealish.

Now getting Coutinho and Digne. As one of the most important cities in UK Birmingham deserves this.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Could improvise a bit and maybe look for wingers with good aptitude to play at wingback, that way we'll have have a good variety once everyone is back fit. Adama and McNeil are two obvious candidates if we can get Wolves and Burnley respectively down to decent prices.

The thought of more Emerson is so depressing, we've seen enough sample size to know he isn't cutting it.

I’ll take Emerson back for the rest of the season + Dest for 17 million. 

Alonso/Emerson + James/Dest/Azpilicueta. 

Not sure about Dest, as i have not seen him play enough but someone like him who is young as well as decent on both feet and sides of the defence would be a good compromise. We would not get into the 5 left backs dilemma in summer, if it does not work out has re-sell value and can fill in both sides as long as both our starting wing backs are not fit yet.

6 hours ago, Nero said:

No problem

FImvgBYXsAQzs1e?format=jpg&name=large

Nah, playing in the prem is totally different to a tier 5 English side.  Chesterfield are probably the same level as the academy games he plays in.  

He played very wel, but lets not get carried away and remember who we faced.   I'd give him a loan to a league 1 club first, or champ

4 hours ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

Nah, playing in the prem is totally different to a tier 5 English side.  Chesterfield are probably the same level as the academy games he plays in.  

He played very wel, but lets not get carried away and remember who we faced.   I'd give him a loan to a league 1 club first, or champ

Loan deal like Billy Gilmour? Hell no. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Loan deal like Billy Gilmour? Hell no. 

Well wherever he goes he needs to play often. Not perhaps every single week, but enough to gain even more experience.

Gilmour I'd recall, unless we again didn't include a break clause. Their fans think hes shite, so sod them, stick him elsewhere.