Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Chelsea reach agreement with Atlanta United to sign Caleb Wiley

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5624615/2024/07/08/Chelsea-transfer-news-caleb-wiley/

ipyan4megxhvtsbzat1k.webp

Chelsea have reached an agreement in principle with Atlanta United to sign left-back Caleb Wiley.

The 19-year-old USMNT international is set to join for a fee of around £8.5million ($10.9m) and on a contract until June 2031.

Wiley is expected to be sent on loan to Strasbourg next season for regular first-team football.

The negotiations for Wiley — who on Monday was named in the United States squad for the Paris Olympics — were helped by good relations between the Premier League club and their Major League Soccer counterparts.

Wiley has been twice capped by the senior U.S. side since making his debut last year. He was not part of Gregg Berhalter’s squad for Copa America.

Chelsea have been very active in targeting young players at the start of the summer transfer window and have already brought in Omari Kellyman from Aston Villa and Barcelona striker Marc Guiu.

They also look set to add Boca Juniors defender Aaron Anselmino and have an agreement with FC Basel to sign versatile defender Renato Veiga.

1252215945.0.jpg

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

Kante

Jorginho

Diego Costa

Cesc

Kova

Kai (money wise, and did score the CL winning goal)

Rom (money wise)

Puli (money wise)

Kepa (money wise)

Morata (money wise)

Chilwell (money wise)

Timo (money wise)

all were after Eden

So kante then 😂

A CB and I’m happy. I think this team can compete. 

A right footed winger would be nice too. Think we do more than fine with the forward options we have in Jackson and Nkunku. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

A CB and I’m happy. I think this team can compete. 

A right footed winger would be nice too. Think we do more than fine with the forward options we have in Jackson and Nkunku. 

If GKer doesnt worry you, then I do not kow what would.

Petro is a decent backup

Slonina looks like a long term project (and was still a teen just seveal months ago)

the rest are meh

2660a639c199d9e2143c50aa6f35666e.png

Posted (edited)

Scary thing is that albeit looking better than Sanchez , Petro was still the 2nd worst goalie in the league last season. He is more conventional and his errors were less spectacular but he let in a ton of save able shots . Sanchez is terrible with his feet but he has made some great saves and underperformed his xG conceded by less 

None are good enough ofc. No idea how good Slonina is  but don’t see us buying mamar until we sell one or two of the useless bunch 😕

Edited by Magic Lamps

We will go another two steps back if Sanchez is our keeper going into the new season, the fact it is even been discussed makes me sick.

I'm looking around the team, the purchases and the overall big picture and I will say this now, not much has changed and will.

I bet we skip buying a winger and Maresca puts full faith in fucking Sterling and Mudryk, I cannot think of anything worse, both are absolute shite

Been saying since the day Maresca was appointed the new number 1 priority has to be a GK, I don't really believe that Sanchez is perceived to be the answer. He would be a high quality no.2 if he is happy to do that role. I do think he is a good shot stopper and could have found form as a traditional GK and won fans over, but I just don't see him playing the role of a GK we need who can slot into a back 4 in possession and look totally composed and relaxed like a CB.

I guess our goalkeeper coach who worked with him for years would know better what the guy can do in training but I never saw that from him on the field. He is not calm enough.

I guess the idea from the club is that with Marescaball where we’ll be playing with 3 in midfield all the times (thus giving us more control of the ball and territory) and also having Reece back & Cucu inverted in there for extra defensive help will paper over the weak goalkeeper?

I don’t think the club genuinely feels like Sanchez is going to suddenly turn into Ederson or Allison, surely. At least I hope not. This feels like them wanting to get one last look at him until January to see if he improves considerably in a different system. If he doesn’t then we’ll get someone more suitable in the winter window.

Chelsea's SALE list ⤵️

🇧🇪 Romelu Lukaku

🇪🇸 Kepa Arrizabalaga

🇫🇷 Malang Sarr

🇦🇱 Armando Broja

🇮🇹 Cesare Casadei

🇨🇮 David Fofana

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Trevoh Chalobah

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Conor Gallagher

(via @TheAthleticFC

These Adeyemi rumours are not moving. Sounds like Barcelona are fully bum loving Nico Williams by Leporta declaring his undying love for him yet we cannot afford him apparently? Aren't Barca in dire situation with finances but can apparently make this happen?

Are we seriously not pushing for this Williams fella over Adeyemi?

As for Adeyemi, he’s unbelievably rapid, is a great dribbler, is lethal when isolated in 1v1 situations, and has great work rate from what I’ve seen. But his end product and decision making are what let him down. That’s the biggest criticism I see of him from people who watch him regularly.

His profile looks like a player who would be amazing in a PL team that sits deep and counter attacks constantly. Then you can maximize his insane pace as the other team turns the ball over on your side of the pitch. But we will be a side who dominates the ball and facing those low blocks. Will a player like Adeyemi even be effective in this scenario? I’m very skeptical.

37 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Are we seriously not pushing for this Williams fella over Adeyemi?

Williams would want 250k+ a week or something like that, that's why a number of the PL clubs aren't that keen on the transfer.   

2 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Williams would want 250k+ a week or something like that, that's why a number of the PL clubs aren't that keen on the transfer.   

With the shite we have stock piled it wouldn't matter, ship them out and use the cash to help get this bloke

39 minutes ago, Pizy said:

His profile looks like a player who would be amazing in a PL team that sits deep and counter attacks constantly. Then you can maximize his insane pace as the other team turns the ball over on your side of the pitch.

I feel like Mudryk/Jackson/Madueke would also benefit from being on more counter attacking opportunities as they can utilise the pace/dribbling to their advantage. 

It's interesting how the midfield is more setup for getting possession and working the ball up the pitch but our attack (bar Palmer) is like the opposite of that. 

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

With the shite we have stock piled it wouldn't matter, ship them out and use the cash to help get this bloke

I agree but I feel it's the same reason why we 'pulled out' of the Olise transfer as the deal was pretty much done with Palace but Olise apparently didn't like the wages + image rights that we offered.