Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

15 hours ago, bluesman2610 said:

Are people really trying to pretend that Joao Felix technical ability and creativity are not far superior than anyone we have who plays in our midfield or attack? Before he went to Atletico I remember people in here ready to give their left nut to have him in our team.

A player with skills equivalent to those Felix has would be an automatic selection for The Harlem Globetrotters, but would he cut it in the NBA? Felix has the eye catching touches and movements but does he hurt the opposition enough? He has all the trimmings, but is there enough meat there? I have had, and still have, doubts about what he brings to the team.

So we are essentially allowing ourselves to be a training center for Felix for 6 months since there’s no buy option. If he does super well here Atleti (having just now extended his contract) can demand £100m or more for him in the summer. Or just not consider selling him at all.

I mean, with Boehly in charge I have no doubt that he would pay what Atleti ask for if he wants to stay, but with the previous regime in charge we would’ve insisted and likely succeeded in agreeing a buy option for something reasonable.

Injuries made us desperate, clearly. We agreed to a pretty shit deal out of desperation.

Some have mentioned that Atletico are trying to keep hold of Felix for a new manager next season, but I'm also wondering whether it suits us just as much as we have no intention to buy him anyway. It is perhaps that Potter has a plan for how he wants us to set up moving forward and Felix is the stopgap signing to perform the role that is earmarked for Nkunku next season. 

Obviously if Felix is successful it certainly poses questions then, but realistically I don't see us buying Nkunku and Felix for big money when they'd be performing similar roles and likely playing for one place in the team.

Separate note regarding Lavia - makes complete sense to hold off until the summer on this one. Southampton are not going to want to sell now when fighting off relegation. If they go down, his price could potentially come down significantly, and if they stay up I still think we'd have more chance of getting a much fairer price for him than we would right now.

3 minutes ago, Superblue said:

Some have mentioned that Atletico are trying to keep hold of Felix for a new manager next season, but I'm also wondering whether it suits us just as much as we have no intention to buy him anyway. It is perhaps that Potter has a plan for how he wants us to set up moving forward and Felix is the stopgap signing to perform the role that is earmarked for Nkunku next season. 

Obviously if Felix is successful it certainly poses questions then, but realistically I don't see us buying Nkunku and Felix for big money when they'd be performing similar roles and likely playing for one place in the team.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Both are said to be at their best in a 'second striker' role so what works for one might work for the other too. If Potter can find a successful formula to use Felix in this second half of the season we might not even need to buy him on a permanent deal with Nkunku slotting right in for next season in the same position.

But even so, to pay £15M for a short term loan like that is outrageous and by having no buy option we have given Atletico exactly what they wanted. If Simeone goes after the season like is being suggested by the Spanish media, they'll just have gotten rid of a problematic player for half a season (while recouping a hefty amount of money doing so) and at the same time hoping we help Felix regain his confidence just in time for him to go back and play under the next manager.

Nkunku is already back in training and will only miss a couple more games so might as well have paid Leipzig a bit of extra and try to get him in straight away if the plan for Felix is to pave the way for Nkunku to come in..

10 minutes ago, Jype said:

Yeah that's what I thought too. Both are said to be at their best in a 'second striker' role so what works for one might work for the other too. If Potter can find a successful formula to use Felix in this second half of the season we might not even need to buy him on a permanent deal with Nkunku slotting right in for next season in the same position.

But even so, to pay £15M for a short term loan like that is outrageous and by having no buy option we have given Atletico exactly what they wanted. If Simeone goes after the season like is being suggested by the Spanish media, they'll just have gotten rid of a problematic player for half a season (while recouping a hefty amount of money doing so) and at the same time hoping we help Felix regain his confidence just in time for him to go back and play under the next manager.

Nkunku is already back in training and will only miss a couple more games so might as well have paid Leipzig a bit of extra and try to get him in straight away if the plan for Felix is to pave the way for Nkunku to come in..

Exactly... just pay the little extra and get Nkunku here right away unless RB refused to let him go this Jan full stop. Either way, that kind of money for a 5month loan is just beyond a joke.