Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Ornstein article

- Chelsea are having second thoughts about signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Barcelona.

- FdJ prefers Chelsea over United but Barca over Chelsea. Expected to stay.

- Chances of signing Antony Gordon slim. Gap in valuation.

- Pulisic and Gallagher set to stay

- Brighton interested in Gilmour

- Armando Broja is regarded by the new ownership as one of Europe’s best young strikers. Set to be given chances

Edited by Strike

Christ, so another game with players out of position then. Was hoping Fofana would be wrapped up today and thrown straight in like Cucu was for tomorrows match.

The Auba news is interesting. Would explain why it’s been dragging on for weeks now when you’d think it would be a pretty straightforward deal. 

44 minutes ago, Strike said:

Surely a winger will be signed before the deadline. Can't see Werner, Callum and Hakim all leaving with no cover bought.

You‘d think. Esp when we miss out on Gordon. Unless TT wants to try, Carney or someone else there. 

zaha would somewhat provide cover for striker and both wings but he is not a consistent finisher. Read somewhere Palace value him at 35-40m given his expiring deal. Never been a big fan of Zaha but value him over 33yo Auba

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

They having a laugh if they think they can obtain him for that fee. He was their player of the season last season and is a top prospect. Any fee should start from the £40m mark.

Edited by Stats

2 hours ago, Strike said:

The Stamford Bridge hierarchy have opted to send Fofana to the US for his medical, and the 21-year-old flew out on Sunday after missing Leicester’s 2-1 defeat at Chelsea for personal reasons. There are not expected to be any problems but Fofana has agreed a six-year deal and the club’s new owners are looking for additional peace of mind. The defender broke his leg and injured ankle ligaments when caught by a horrible challenge in a pre-season friendly in August 2021, ruling him out for seven months.

This is good due diligence from the club and ownership.

They're clearly not taking the injury lightly.

It's easy to be concerned about such a serious injury and whether they will fully recover, especially when there have been a number of players over the years at Chelsea who have succumbed to a serious injury and either retired or never been the same (Paul Elliott, Di Matteo, Casiraighi, Essien spring to mind). 

But I think that there are far more examples of players making a full recovery and going on to have successful careers, especially when suffering a serious injury so young and early in their careers. I don't anticipate the injury that Fofana suffered becoming a long term problem for him.

One other thing on Fofana, obviously a huge amount of money being committed to signing him but when we were first being linked with him this summer the media briefings seemed to suggest Leicester wanted a world record fee, upwards of £85m and Chelsea were prepared to meet the fee needed if they couldn't bring it down. I think in the end and considering how the deal has dragged out, we've not done too bad to secure him on a £70 + 5 deal, albeit still a huge figure.

9 minutes ago, turgi said:

We have Mount glued to the wing, why would we need a winger?

Even with mount on the wings, we are a body less.

Sterling-broja-mount

?-kai-pulisic

With ziyech strongly linked out to ajax, cho out to Leverkusen, we need atleast one forward/winger. I honestly would like zaha specially for the rumored 30-40m. That's 5-15m more than auba for a much more suited player.

12 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Not to mention St.Etienne have a 20% sell on clause

good catch!

I had blanked this

Leicester are only walking with away with a net profit of around £19.5m-£24.5m after they original trans fee + add-ons and the 20% sell-on are are taken out

Edited by Vesper

Just now, Vesper said:

good catch!

I had blanked this

Leicester are only walking with away with a net profit of around £19.5m-£24.5m after they original trans fee + add-ons and the 20% sell-on are are taken out

so not like they have a windfall to go and buy  several players with (as they are already in FFP trouble)

fuck 'em

14 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

You‘d think. Esp when we miss out on Gordon. Unless TT wants to try, Carney or someone else there. 

zaha would somewhat provide cover for striker and both wings but he is not a consistent finisher. Read somewhere Palace value him at 35-40m given his expiring deal. Never been a big fan of Zaha but value him over 33yo Auba

Agree with Zaha, I've always felt when he's not "on it" he becomes almost anonymous.

Having said that besides one poor year, he has scored 10+ Premier League goals in 3 of the last 4 seasons so has shown more consistency at least with his output in the last couple of years. You'd probably feel more confident that he'd give us 8 - 12 goals in the league than the likes of Ziyech and Pulisic.

I just feel his time probably was a year or two ago to make that big move. For the right price, I'm not necessarily against it, but I'm not really for it either. I think better opportunities could develop over the next year for the club if they didn't sign him. And if those opportunities didn't happen, then he'd still be potentially an option to bring in next summer, and on a free transfer, to beef up the squad.