Palmeiras 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Think Tuchel has a major headache here with his midfield selection. Does he go with Kante and Kova or Kante and J5? Do we expect a game where they’ll try to press the hell out of us and be super aggressive? In which case leaving Jorginho on the bench might be wise. Or will this be a match where we’ll have 70% of the ball? 

Kind of hard to imagine a player like Jorgi who is super trusted in finals being benched. But how can you leave Kova out when he’s been awesome for much of the season? And Kante is our best player so he has to start, too. Don’t envy TT picking the team.

No point hoping for a change in attack because God knows Lukaku is starting. 😂

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Think Tuchel has a major headache here with his midfield selection. Does he go with Kante and Kova or Kante and J5? Do we expect a game where they’ll try to press the hell out of us and be super aggressive? In which case leaving Jorginho on the bench might be wise. Or will this be a match where we’ll have 70% of the ball? 

Kind of hard to imagine a player like Jorgi who is super trusted in finals being benched. But how can you leave Kova out when he’s been awesome for much of the season? And Kante is our best player so he has to start, too. Don’t envy TT picking the team.

No point hoping for a change in attack because God knows Lukaku is starting. 😂

Not really, J5 is out injured.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Did I fall asleep during that dreadful Al Hilal performance and miss him getting injured?

He was hauled off in the 2nd half after receiving  a knock. shorty after i read he would definitey be out but recently heard he is only doubtful. Will most probably not start tho. Neither should he. their intensity will be too much for him.

4 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

He was hauled off in the 2nd half after receiving  a knock. shorty after i read he would definitey be out but recently heard he is only doubtful. Will most probably not start tho. Neither should he. their intensity will be too much for him.

Yeah, I remember him being subbed but I thought it was tactical. Anyway, I think I prefer Kante and Kova anyways.

7 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I think a large number of people here think the latter. Wanting the FA Cup or Carabao Cup over this is crazy.  

Want both lol. But this..its not like you get a shot at it every year! And it's the Champions league winners who win it so we don't need to set the bar lowwwwww

Edited by Laylabelle

9 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I think a large number of people here think the latter. Wanting the FA Cup or Carabao Cup over this is crazy.  

Yes, it is crazy. This is the only major trophy still contested we have never won, and it is the hardest one to win, as you have to win the CL first just to qualify.

All the other giant global teams who are still top flight and who have won the CL or the Copa Libertadores have won either the old Intercontinental Cup or it's successor, the FWCC, except for us and Palmeiras (Benfica as well, but they never have come close since they lost back to back IC's in 1961 and 1962).

Benfica, Cruzeiro, and Pool are the only teams to have not won the IC despite multiple shots, but Pool won the FWCC, and Cruzeiro is not even in top-flight football, same for Vasco da Gama, who lost the 1998 IC and the 2000 initial FWCC, but are now 2nd division as well) .

I am so sick of having it thrown in our face by Pool, Manure, Juve, Inter, AC Milan, Barca, Real, Atletico Madrid, Bayern, and hell, even Dortmund, Ajax, Feyenoord, Boca Juniors, River Plate, and Porto fanbois/girls.

Palmeiras has the same issue with all the giant Brasilian, Argie, and Uruguayan sides. The IC/FWCC means even more to South American teams.

Edited by Vesper

Just reading quotes and interviews from various players and coaches at the club over the last few days leading up to the final it seems as though they realize how big of a deal this trophy would be. So that’s been good to see. That hopefully means we won’t see a lazy performance and our players don’t think it’s a formality because we’re the bigger club.

Maybe we’ll see a coherent attacking performance today. 

10 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Its the one we havent won

(The latter is us old fans mantra -when we beat Man City 6 - 3 Full Members Cup) 👍

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Just reading quotes and interviews from various players and coaches at the club over the last few days leading up to the final it seems as though they realize how big of a deal this trophy would be. So that’s been good to see. That hopefully means we won’t see a lazy performance and our players don’t think it’s a formality because we’re the bigger club.

Maybe we’ll see a coherent attacking performance today. 

Fat chance of that when the donkey plays 

only way to win is get to pens and Kepa heroics 

just get us OFF this very comprehensive, detailed list

these are all the giant (Post WWII) UEFA, Brasilian, Argentinian and Uruguayan (the only 3 truly big footballing leagues in SA) teams who have never won the Intercontinental Cup or the FWCC

26 teams, 25 after today, the ones in bold are still powerhouses in terms of threats win their continent's big cup, there are only 5 of them, 4 after today, and two of those 4 have never won the EC/CL or the Copa Libertadores, Citeh and PSG)

Chelsea (lost the 2012 FWCC)
Palmeiras (lost the 1999 IC to Manure, and lost the FWCC last year) (they did win the 1951 Rio Cup, a 2 year only World Championship, the only other one post WWII world championship besides the IC/FWCC)

then (listed by nation)

Manchester City (never won the EC/CL)
Nottingham Forest (lost the IC once, and refused to play in another) no longer topflight
Leeds (lost their only European Cup final)
Aston Villa (lost the IC)
Tottenham (never won the EC/CL, lost a CL final)
Arsenal (never won the EC/CL, lost a CL final)
Borussia Mönchengladbach (lost the IC)
Hamburger SV (lost the IC) no longer in topflight, shockingly
Benfica (lost back to back IC's in 1961 and 1962)
Sporting Lisbon (never won the EC/CL)
PSG (never won the EC/CL)
Olympique Lyonnais (never won the EC/CL)
Olympique de Marseille (banned from the 1993 IC due to betting scandal after they won the 1993 European Cup)
PSV Eindhoven (lost the IC)
Celtic (lost the IC)
Rangers (never won the EC/CL)
Steaua București   (lost the IC)
Cruzeiro  (lost the IC twice) no longer in topflight 
Vasco da Gama (lost the 1998 IC and lost the 2000 FWCC) no longer in topflight
Atlético Mineiro  (lost the FWCC)
Fluminense (never won the Copa Libertadores but did win the 2nd (and las)t Rio Cup World Championship in 1952)
Botafogo (never won the Copa Libertadores)
Argentinos Juniors (lost the IC)
San Lorenzo (lost the FWCC)

13 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Al Ahly absolutely destroying Al Hilal 4:0 now. And Palmeiras won against them more comfortably than us against Al Hilal. 

2 reds on Al Hilal, two of their top players

3 of their four goals came after the first red

5f73a23679e2ebeac05bf8880343f345.png4b3b4f451baa6c702b3e5e18a7fbcb3e.png

Edited by Vesper