Are we going to regret selling Tammy Abraham?

I know we are in a good position for now. But at one point we did have De Bruyne and Salah.

Of course, Tammy is not really at that level, but we do have a history of losing decent players who turn out great.

5 hours ago, MouSpirit said:

I know we are in a good position for now. But at one point we did have De Bruyne and Salah.

Of course, Tammy is not really at that level, but we do have a history of losing decent players who turn out great.

Maybe we do maybe we dont. You can never tell how a player will develop elsewhere, but what I do know is he would never gotten a proper chance here, its a good move for himself as an individual.

54 minutes ago, BluesMadLad said:

Maybe we do maybe we dont. You can never tell how a player will develop elsewhere, but what I do know is he would never gotten a proper chance here, its a good move for himself as an individual.

Yep. He'd never have been the number one striker at the club in his current level and he wasn't happy being a backup option, so for everyone's sake it was a good move.

If he develops enough at Roma the club can buy him back for 'just' a €35-40M net loss due to the clause, but would also be getting a much better player in return than the Tammy who left so if that happens then maybe it's not too bad a price to pay for another club investing a lot of time and resources into his development. I'm sure Tammy himself would jump at the chance to come back if the club wants him to. 

17 hours ago, Mana said:

That's really a question nobody can answer at the moment.

But from what I saw - he's not good enough for where we want to be. So if he majorly improves in Roma, and becomes a Serie A star I'll eat my words.

And those players you mentioned, that was different. We never gave Lukaku, de Bruyne or Salah a real chance to develop. We gave Abraham two full seasons.

Okay. I can agree with that. Yeah we had him for two years already. But he is still young, so I thought he has still enough potential to show, and might just explode. The buy-back clause seems to indicate this too.

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

Did they do the same to United when they sold say Butt or Phil Neville?

No comparison highly rated young player joins the most successful manager of current era in Rome to cloggers who join mid table clubs 🤔

• 8 months later...

He's doing well in Rome for now. I'm always watching AS Roma's games and I'm happy for him. Hope they could win the Conference League as well, he deserves it. 

Just like Lukaku before him, hes a good goal getter and I'm glad he's doing well for himself but I don't particularly miss him and I can't ever see him leading the line at a club regularly challenging for the big two.

I really hope we resist the urge to buy back this time, would be totally unnecessary. If we're going to insist on bringing back academy players Livramento (if he recovers well from his injury) and Olise are the one's we should be looking at.

Edited by Tomo