Chelsea 0-1 Leicester [FA Cup]

Jase

12 minutes ago, chippy said:

Another player who is rated so much better than he actually is.

Decent technical ability and world class at dribbling past players around the middle of the pitch.  But that's it.

Both him and Jorgi have had long enough to improve the midfield but we're still seeing the same short comings that were there three years ago. 

Not bad players, just not good enough to take this team forward. Same can already said for Ziyech. 

Seconded.
Also goes from MotM to liability in the same game! he seems to lack mentality.

24 minutes ago, Jas said:

Mendy would have absolutely saved it, IMO.

Questions must also be asked of the players. I don't know if they have let all the praise got into their head or have just hit a wall after the Man City game but no one looked bothered in the last two games. We didn't play with the same energy, desire and intensity and now the season is in danger of becoming a complete failure. The FA Cup was our best chance of winning something out of the two finals and we bottled it. God knows what's gonna happen with the Top 4 race now.

I also think Mendy, due to his reach, had a much better chance of saving that shot. T-rex kepa (just stole that) must go... the problem of having him in the squad is that he will end up playing and then becoming a liability.

👍I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the players. There was a clear hungrier side on the pitch today, and it wasn't Chelsea!
We got a bit hungrier after conceding, but it's usually too late in these type of games.

Ah darn sorry for the DP.

Edited by robsblubot

5 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Kepa, Alonso are an absolute disaster. basically handing the towel.

It is really sad but just as I said, once we saw the lineup everybody probably got this sense of inevitability that we were about to lose. Everybody but Tuchel. this is what worries me.

3 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the players. There was a clear hungrier side on the pitch today, and it wasn't Chelsea!
We got a bit hungrier after conceding, but it's usually too late in these type of games.

Not sure if Leicester were necessarily hungrier because both sides were rubbish going forward. Only difference was a long range goal from nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Jas said:

Win by a couple of goals? At this point, think we would all just be happy with any kind of win! Even the worst 1-0 win ever!

It would be fucking tragic if we finish in the Top 4 but don't win anything again, despite reaching TWO finals OR it could end up worse...

I think we need to put things into persoective.

Its been an incredibly difficult, tiring  season for all teams.

We're not really that great a side. Some good performances here and there but a lot of pretty average stuff too. A lot of our players having average or below average seasons.

Top goal scorer has 6 goals.

To get into the CL final, F A Cup final and still be in the race for top four, is more than good when you take those factors into consideration.

I still be happy enough with just top four, but obviously winning the CL would be massive and almost as unexpected as the first time we won when we were really struggling in the league.

5 minutes ago, Jas said:

Not sure if Leicester were necessarily hungrier because both sides were rubbish going forward. Only difference was a long range goal from nowhere.

that tells more about our superior quality than hunger iMO. Leicester had to be hungrier to match our play, and they did that by defending very well. While we mostly had the ball in midfield, we did not control actions there that comfortably. 

The surprise for me was how defensive our lineup and strategy were.

I disagree with most folks here that taking Alonso off was the right move: we needed a goal and his goal tally speaks for itself. Chilwell could've been brought in while still keeping alonso (also adding giroud much sooner), to put some pressure in their defense. Remember it was a heavy pitch and once they scored, spaces behind their defense line became very scarce.

Edited by robsblubot

3 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

that tells more about our superior quality than hunger iMO. Leicester had to be hungrier to match our play, and they did that by defending very well. While we mostly had the ball in midfield, we did not control actions there that comfortably. 

You could say the same for us. Vardy and Iheanacho were barely a threat upfront and Leicester created nothing. So defensively, we actually did well. Where we failed was going forward.

4 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I disagree with most folks here that taking Alonso off was the right move: we needed a goal and his goal tally speaks for itself. Chilwell could've been brought in while still keeping alonso (also adding giroud much sooner), to put some pressure in their defense. Remember it was a heavy pitch and once they scored, spaces behind their defense line became very scarce.

As much as Alonso gets more into dangerous positions more than Chilwell, he's not exactly a goalscoring machine. Chilwell himself has managed a few goals this season. And Tuchel said he played Alonso because of his height and experience but that certainly didn't pay off at all because we had 2 malfunctioned attacks from the wingbacks!

6 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Yep, instead of bringing on Chillwell,.it would.have been sufficient to switch James and Azpi, with James playing WB,..and bring on Giroud much sooner. 

Tactics have been off the last couple of games.

Hope Tuchel doesn't undo all his good work just because of a few decisions like these.

13 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Seconded.
Also goes from MotM to liability in the same game! he seems to lack mentality.

3 years ago I remember a Croation Chelsea fan who'd watched Kova his whole career, say that he was a gifted player but one who would frustrate and flatter to deceive. He was bang on!

16 minutes ago, chippy said:

I think we need to put things into persoective.

Its been an incredibly difficult, tiring  season for all teams.

We're not really that great a side. Some good performances here and there but a lot of pretty average stuff too. A lot of our players having average or below average seasons.

Top goal scorer has 6 goals.

To get into the CL final, F A Cup final and still be in the race for top four, is more than good when you take those factors into consideration.

I still be happy enough with just top four, but obviously winning the CL would be massive and almost as unexpected as the first time we won when we were really struggling in the league.

You aren't necessarily wrong but we can't be putting in great performances to get to cup finals and then bottled them (or 1 for now) by not turning up. We can't be setting high standards with those performances and then letting them slip when it really matters. What's the point of us doing well if by the end of it all, we don't have anything to show for it? God, I fucking hate it when Chelsea get the hopes up, only to then dash them in stupid fashion...should know better after all the stupid bad moments over the last decade! 

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

our goal was offside, you are all over the wrong decision

it was the handball no call that fucked us

Handball but Kepa was off to buy groceries.
Only instance in the entire match he was needed.

11 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Handball but Kepa was off to buy groceries.
Only instance in the entire match he was needed.

O know

I am beyond depressed with all the forces combing to fuck us (including us fucking us)

I was just in a stream chat and was swarmed by 20 plus pool and manure fans just pummelling us and me

it was brutal

I did not realise it it

BUT if (even with West ham drawing just now)

West Ham, spuds and Everton win out, and we lose to Leicester and villa, and pool win 2 of 3 (they likely win all 3)

we are out of Europe altogether (unless we beat citeh in CL final)

there is only ONE game in all that that is on paper super unlikely to happen

Everton v citeh on last game of year and Pep may rest a tonne of players getting ready for the CL final

obviously it s huge longshot that it actually happens

but it shows how much we have collapsed at the end that it is even possible

Edited by Vesper

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

O know

I am beyond depressed with all the forces combing to fuck us (including us fucking us)

I was just in a stream chat and was swarmed by 20 plus pool and manure fans just pummelling us and me

it was brutal

I did not realise it it

BUT if (even with West ham drawing just now)

West Ham, spuds and Everton win out, and we lose to Leicester and villa, and pool win 2 of 3 (they likely win all 3)

we are out of Europe altogether (unless we beat citeh in CL final)

there is only ONE game in all that that is on paper super unlikely to happen

Everton v citeh on last game of year and Pep may rest a tone of player getting ready for the CL final

obviously it s huge longshot that it actually happens

but it shows how much we have collapsed at the end that it is even possible

It's Tuesday the match of the season, if you are Abra.
Against Villa he can buy the game.

How can we actually collapse when we never really had the top 4 firmly in our hands? We never really had a big gap between us and others behind. Bloody hell, Lampard left us in the 9th position or so! If you want to talk about a collapse, look at the crisis under Lampard. That is where we may have lost the CL spot. 

186476238_4366420183368727_6303957226037

I don't know if it is hand ball - from this image. Maybe it is.
Chilwell left arm is 14.09 cm offside !
Chilwell is offside if and only if the ball has n't been kicked by Thiago the instant this is still was taken.

Edited by cosmicway