Chelsea 0-1 Porto

Jase

8 minutes ago, Azul said:

Bring CHO on for James, he's just a pass-back merchant in this game. Offers zero going forward.

He is hard to watch but I feel we need his defensive game, especially his strength against these fuckers.

Slightly better than the first leg and given the context of the tie, not too bothered about how scrappy the game has been...as long as we don't do anything stupid and get the job done. 

Also, that first half is exactly why I said what I said at the weekend - all fine and dandy to play well when the opposition play passively but it's another to play well when being pressed.

We simply CANNOT deal with the high energy, aggressive pressing. No matter what team does it to us it’s extremely effective. They press us and we then can’t string together ANY sort of passing moves. It’s embarrassing. Over both legs now we’ve looked like the ones who are the scrappy underdog with a limited budget and are just happy to be this deep in the competition.

With Jorginho and Kante as the pair there is no connection between the midfield and attack at all. It’s just either hoofing it up aimlessly into open space or launching a counter attack when Porto lose the ball. Just like the first leg. We can’t play football at all.

This is why we 100% need to prioritize a top midfielder this summer. Jorginho can boss the middle of the pitch against Palace and the like who don’t press. He’s useless and an active hindrance in big games.

5 minutes ago, DDA said:

He is hard to watch but I feel we need his defensive game, especially his strength against these fuckers.

CHO would offer offensive threat and their left-back wouldn't press up very high. Which means we can potentially control that right side.