Chelsea 0-1 Porto

Jase

5 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

I hope Real goes through tonight. Against Liverpool we play 2-4 times every year, against Real I don’t remember when we last played a competitive match, would be much more fun.

1998 was the last time in the Super Cup Final, time after that for a true competitive game was the ECWC Reply in 1971. It is pretty insane how we have not played each other since. 

Our record is also pretty good: 

Won 2

Drew 1

Lost 0

11 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Their league is dilapidated, a sad shadow of what it once was. They are not any better than Atlético who we thrashed . Most of their players are ancient, they are on their last leg. Zidane has a few tricks up his sleeve and Benzema can still be deadly but the rest is so much worse than a few years back. 

Madrid have bucketloads of experience of this stage of CL where our current players don't.

They may not be what they were but they know how to negotiate these type of nights and so do Liverpool aswell so it's a big task whoever we get, but that's what CL is all about.

If Liverpool score first can see them winning it. Theyre good..mostly at this sort of thing...comebacks blah blah blah

Whoever we get..even if get knocked out to get this far for the first time since 2014 is a step forward..going all the way however...be bloody amazing.

37 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

If Liverpool score first can see them winning it. Theyre good..mostly at this sort of thing...comebacks blah blah blah

Whoever we get..even if get knocked out to get this far for the first time since 2014 is a step forward..going all the way however...be bloody amazing.

Semi will be tough regardless of who we get. Personally I prefer Real than the Dippers as I hate all English ties in the CL and I feel we always get done over in them when you also take Utd into consideration.

If we do manage to get to the final then I think we will have a reasonable chance as I don't actually think City, Dortmund or PSG are actually that great and in a one off game we could do them. I say this as are principal issue is when we play low block teams and none of them play like that. 

14 hours ago, King Kante said:

Come on buddy, Real aren't dog sh*t but they also aren't prime CR7 or Di Stefano Real. The way I see it, I wasn't expecting to beat Atelti when we drew them so anything more, such as a Semi Final is a bonus. 

At the moment, things are shaping up as follows for the semi's: 

Chelsea 

PSG

Real/Dippers

City/Dortmund 

Whilst, I would say we aren't favourites, none of those teams really scare me. Real have a geriatric CM (I mean seriously, if our midfield were as old as theirs there would be people on here ringing up Dignitas trying to book them a slot). The Dippers don't have any CB's and continue to play a high line that most teams have figured out. PSG have a suspect midfield and defence and we have inside intel on them with Silva and TT, while they have recently been beaten by Monaco and Lille. City are the best team in England but again, they can be got at. Leeds gave a very good blueprint on how to beat them and if it were not for an incompetent ref, they would be in trouble going into tomorrow's game at 2-2. As for Dortmund, they are current 5th in the Bundesliga and 7pts off 4th with 6 games to go. They really haven't been playing that great. 

The way I see it, City are favourites, then it is a bit of a toss up between the rest as they/we all have weaknesses. However, it is a pretty good position to be in considering where we were in January. 

I fully agree, and I am happy and grateful that Tuchel was brought in. We all know Lampard would've gotten knocked out against Atletico. 

However, I see a lot of Chelsea fans underestimating Real Madrid as if they're much worse than City, PSG and Bayern. I feel like with the additions of Asensio who's fit again, and Vinicius who's finally improved his end product, they have more firepower. Also the chance that Ramos might come back with Varane as well is a dangerous proposition. I actually don't fear anyone, but I see Real as a bigger threat to City and PSG in a final, so in a way I'm happy we're facing them in the semi's instead. Players like Modric, Kroos are old but they only need to turn up for Champions League games and they'll probably get rested in La Liga. That way they're fully ready to face against us, which could be troublesome. 

All I'm saying is that people have to respect the best team in the CL history, there is a reason why they've won 4 CL's in the span of 5 years.

13 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Real are pretty decent aye but what they have got is that knowhow in the CL and on their day can step it up.

But lets not pretend that nobody else can step it up on their day to perform at a very high level or that Real are the force like they were the first time round under Ancelotti and Zidane when they had huge CL success. Without Benzema they would be nowhere in the last 2 or 3 seasons or if Atletico didn’t choke 2/3 leagues games in the same time period we played them they would be the 10 points clear they once were. 

Our performance v Liverpool was also impressive, bar it being only one goal. We were very complete I felt, solid defensively, good in building the game, had a few half chances which was the only disappointment.

Tbf, 2 of Real’s goals v Liverpool come from real poor moments from Trent Alexander-Arnold, if he had tracked the run of Vinicius and tucked inside, the guy would never have scored the first goal. Thats not even mentioning Liverpool giving Toni Kroos the opportunity to get the ball under no pressure, turn around and get his head up to play the pass. Yes the pass and finish was quality but poor from Liverpool, particularly a team that press and play at high intensity normally, Jota (IIRC) just looks at him and lets him pick his pass, its a matter of 2 or 3 yards he doesn’t even have to go full tilt to put pressure on him and he didn’t. I mean how many times have people seen Kroos do that throughout his career? It is not rocket science, he has quality giving him time on the ball with no one trying to close him down is not good because he will hit forward runners all day long. Then again the second goal, Kroos again too much time and space, Trent mistake, Asensio goal. Then the third is a GK mistake.

This assumption Real bossed the full game and destroyed Liverpool is a bit far fetched. They had another big chance that came from a Kabak mistake and a few other half chances but take the mistakes out and if it finishes 1-1 people are saying its not an amazing result for Real. Id fancy us against them also, probably more so than Liverpool, we have plenty of pace on the break and also legs in MF with Kovacic, Kante and Mount whilst they may have quality they have got ageing legs in MF and in defence. I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool went and beat them later in fact, if they play with aggression and intensity and actually defend it will be a lot closer than many would think. Salah, Jota and Mane against anyone as well gives them as good a chance as they can get.

I'm seeing a lot of ifs buts or maybes. Why didn't Trent make the same mistakes against us? The reason why is because we don't have the midfield quality Real has. The likes of Kroos and Modric are able to make ridiculous passes that made Liverpool capitulate. If you had chances to score 6 or 7 goals atleast while your opponent only had 1 chance to score then you're dominating. I don't know why you're not giving them the credit and just shit on Liverpools defenders. 

To say that you'd like to face Real over Liverpool is crazy in my opinion. Before this match everyone thought Liverpool would beat Real and qualify and I couldn't understand why. Now that Real destroyed them, people are still underestimating them. Weird stuff.

2 hours ago, Azul said:

I'm seeing a lot of ifs buts or maybes. Why didn't Trent make the same mistakes against us? The reason why is because we don't have the midfield quality Real has. The likes of Kroos and Modric are able to make ridiculous passes that made Liverpool capitulate. If you had chances to score 6 or 7 goals atleast while your opponent only had 1 chance to score then you're dominating. I don't know why you're not giving them the credit and just shit on Liverpools defenders. 

To say that you'd like to face Real over Liverpool is crazy in my opinion. Before this match everyone thought Liverpool would beat Real and qualify and I couldn't understand why. Now that Real destroyed them, people are still underestimating them. Weird stuff.

This

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Didn't Werner mug off TAA a few times? Mount as well? 

Yes the passes were good but a bit of pressure on the ball and Kroos doesn’t make them. Simple as that. Tbf they only had their 3 goals, one chance from another Liverpool mistake and maybe one or two half chances. Wouldn’t say they had 6 or 7 big chances.

Liverpool also had a decent couple of chances, one that required some excellent defending from Varane and then Farlan Mendy. 

Real are a good team but have shown huge inconsistencies for the last 2/3 seasons plus have multiple ageing players who I think with some of our younger players and a bit of luck (which all teams need in the CL also) we could definitely give them a good game and shock then. 

I think Liverpool would be the worse opposition for us out of the two in all reality because they know us better and would probably be better suited to playing us than Real are tbf because Real aren’t really a high intensity pressing team either, they are a bit more pragmatic with Zidane. Liverpool may have a worse defence than Real in comparison to Ramos and Varane but I think bar Benzema, most would say Mane and Salah start at Real over the guys they have (Eden included right now because hes been shite for Real). Their MF is obviously superior technically but physically they also struggle at times and they look a bit leggy. Plus Kroos and Modric aren’t as interested in the combative stuff going back the way unlike Wijnaldum, Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho etc are.

I still think if Liverpool get off to an an early goal tonight they have every chance of going through so hopefully Real do. 

5 hours ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, I really want to avoid either English team. As sweet as it is to beat one of your rivals in Europe it’s also much tougher to take if you lose. So I’d rather avoid.

And it feels even worse!!! Dont want to give them bragging rights...again if it should happen. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

This

Yes the passes were good but a bit of pressure on the ball and Kroos doesn’t make them. Simple as that. Tbf they only had their 3 goals, one chance from another Liverpool mistake and maybe one or two half chances. Wouldn’t say they had 6 or 7 big chances.

Liverpool also had a decent couple of chances, one that required some excellent defending from Varane and then Farlan Mendy. 

Real are a good team but have shown huge inconsistencies for the last 2/3 seasons plus have multiple ageing players who I think with some of our younger players and a bit of luck (which all teams need in the CL also) we could definitely give them a good game and shock then. 

I think Liverpool would be the worse opposition for us out of the two in all reality because they know us better and would probably be better suited to playing us than Real are tbf because Real aren’t really a high intensity pressing team either, they are a bit more pragmatic with Zidane. Liverpool may have a worse defence than Real in comparison to Ramos and Varane but I think bar Benzema, most would say Mane and Salah start at Real over the guys they have (Eden included right now because hes been shite for Real). Their MF is obviously superior technically but physically they also struggle at times and they look a bit leggy. Plus Kroos and Modric aren’t as interested in the combative stuff going back the way unlike Wijnaldum, Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho etc are.

I still think if Liverpool get off to an an early goal tonight they have every chance of going through so hopefully Real do. 

Firstly, Varane didn't even play, Militao and Nacho did. Secondly you're using a lot of hypotheticals, let's deal with the facts. Liverpool didn't have a single shot on target in the first half if I remember correctly, and in the second half they weren't effective except for that flukey deflected ball that came at Salahs feet.  Real have shown inconsistencies and the loss against Ajax in 2019 was embarrassing, however they didn't have Zidane and Ronaldo who've left them the season before. That heavily affected them. Afterwards, Zidane came back and he did alright by winning the league, and he got knocked out by City fair enough. However things could've been much different had Ramos played those games.

If you seriously think Real is an easier game than this Liverpool team who aren't tactically flexible at all, then I'm afraid your football knowledge is not good at all. Why would you want to face Zidane who's very tactically flexible instead of Klopp who you know is going to play the same formation and tactics every single game? Add to that Real have a much better team from front to back. Mane has been shite this season, and you can even ask Liverpool fans about that. I honestly fear Vini more than Mane. Jota and Salah are good but I think the combination of Vini-Benzema-Asensio is better than Liverpools front three. Real's midfield is miles better, and I hope you have the sense to agree with me on that. Lastly, Real's defence of Mendy-Ramos-Varane-Nacho/Odriozola is miles better the Liverpools current defence. The reason why I named Ramos is because he might face us, Varane as well.

Edited by Azul

After Benzema who has 25 goals best goalscorer in Real has 6 goals this season. So you stop him and not much danger left there. Vini and Asensio are good lately but I think our great defense with 5 players would be too much for them. We just need our offensive players to show up.

2 hours ago, Azul said:

Firstly, Varane didn't even play, Militao and Nacho did. Secondly you're using a lot of hypotheticals, let's deal with the facts. Liverpool didn't have a single shot on target in the first half if I remember correctly, and in the second half they weren't effective except for that flukey deflected ball that came at Salahs feet.  Real have shown inconsistencies and the loss against Ajax in 2019 was embarrassing, however they didn't have Zidane and Ronaldo who've left them the season before. That heavily affected them. Afterwards, Zidane came back and he did alright by winning the league, and he got knocked out by City fair enough. However things could've been much different had Ramos played those games.

If you seriously think Real is an easier game than this Liverpool team who aren't tactically flexible at all, then I'm afraid your football knowledge is not good at all. Why would you want to face Zidane who's very tactically flexible instead of Klopp who you know is going to play the same formation and tactics every single game? Add to that Real have a much better team from front to back. Mane has been shite this season, and you can even ask Liverpool fans about that. I honestly fear Vini more than Mane. Jota and Salah are good but I think the combination of Vini-Benzema-Asensio is better than Liverpools front three. Real's midfield is miles better, and I hope you have the sense to agree with me on that. Lastly, Real's defence of Mendy-Ramos-Varane-Nacho/Odriozola is miles better the Liverpools current defence. The reason why I named Ramos is because he might face us, Varane as well.

I will be honest mate I think youve got a cheek 🤣

If it wasnt Varane it was maybe Nacho or Militao then.

And how is Real’s domination and performance tonight? They're hit the post and Vinicus had a good chance but 2 shots on target as it stands and look like they have the know how but hardly special either, just solid. As I said before with Zidane this time round, they’ve became more pragmatic and if they want to sit off us and let us play against them then I’d rather that than Liverpool if they had their intensity. Granted Real are 3-1 up on aggregate but they’ve been much more organised under Zidane than they were when they had Ronaldo his first spell and their hardly this amazing team your making them out to be. 

Fear Vini more than Mane and Salah? Both who have good records of scoring against us more or less every game or second game whenever we play them? Other than the CL how many times have you watched Vinicius? Or Rodrygo? If you’ve watched them outside of the game last week you’d know their end product isnt consistent and thats why their starts are staggered also. They have got potential but there is no doubt Mane and Salah are much better players. Would agree Benzema is better than what they have in a 9 but Benzema is better than a huge amount of the strikers still playing and has been for years. Asensio as well is decent but hes never hit the heights since he broke onto the scene with Real and isnt better than those 2.

We have Real now anyway more or less so we will see but I think its not as bad as people will think. We just need our attacking players to show up. They have the experience but honestly think if we play with the same intensity we seen v Atletico it will be close.

45 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I will be honest mate I think youve got a cheek 🤣

If it wasnt Varane it was maybe Nacho or Militao then.

And how is Real’s domination and performance tonight? They're hit the post and Vinicus had a good chance but 2 shots on target as it stands and look like they have the know how but hardly special either, just solid. As I said before with Zidane this time round, they’ve became more pragmatic and if they want to sit off us and let us play against them then I’d rather that than Liverpool if they had their intensity. Granted Real are 3-1 up on aggregate but they’ve been much more organised under Zidane than they were when they had Ronaldo his first spell and their hardly this amazing team your making them out to be. 

Fear Vini more than Mane and Salah? Both who have good records of scoring against us more or less every game or second game whenever we play them? Other than the CL how many times have you watched Vinicius? Or Rodrygo? If you’ve watched them outside of the game last week you’d know their end product isnt consistent and thats why their starts are staggered also. They have got potential but there is no doubt Mane and Salah are much better players. Would agree Benzema is better than what they have in a 9 but Benzema is better than a huge amount of the strikers still playing and has been for years. Asensio as well is decent but hes never hit the heights since he broke onto the scene with Real and isnt better than those 2.

We have Real now anyway more or less so we will see but I think its not as bad as people will think. We just need our attacking players to show up. They have the experience but honestly think if we play with the same intensity we seen v Atletico it will be close.

Why do you make it seem like I claimed that Madrid will dominate today? They're away with a 2 goal lead and will obviously sit back and defend. 

Again when I mentioned that Real's forward line being better than Liverpools, I base it on form this season. Is that so hard to understand? Mane has been absolute dogshit this season, as he was against us when we won at Anfield. So yes, Vinicius is currently more threatening than Mane right now. Salah is a beast but he himself can't carry the whole attack as you've seen today, he did miss chances as well.

Everything I've said about Real is not to say we're fucked, because I honestly believe it's a 50-50 game. I just cringe when people make us heavy favourites though. Same thing happened when people were making Liverpool favourites. All I'm saying is that we should be wary, and give them respect because they're a very good side. Could we win? Yes, I believe we will edge it because of our defensive set up. However it's a 50-50 game and anything can happen.