• Ziyech
    • Havertz
    • Werner
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)
    • Chilwell (sub)

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's almost as if rotating him adequately and sparing his energy for suitable games was the way forward.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Tuchel has used him wisely, TBF, based on the opposition we're playing. 

Basically this.

33 minutes ago, Mana said:

It was a pen. If the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't had said that.

I honestly try to be as neutral as possible. I genuinely think he dived there, and the contact was very minimal (he barely touched him).

It was a close one for the MotM award between Rudieger and Kante but Kante just pipped it for me.

Superb performance from the boys.

You can't help but feel a little frustrated with the wasted attacking opportunities but the ot was a great win.

Rudi's quite incredible turnaround in form is going to free up the big wad of money we were planning on spending on a new CB.The cash should now go on a new RB.

Much easier games than I was expecting against AM. Happy to be in the QF's again but, as good as we've been in defence we won't keep getting away with scoring one goal a game. Someone has to start scoring more goals or we'll probably fall short of winning something and fail to qualify for the CL next season.

2 minutes ago, DDA said:

It was a close one for the MotM award between Rudieger and Kante but Kante just pipped it for me.

Superb performance from the boys.

You can't help but feel a little frustrated with the wasted attacking opportunities but the ot was a great win.

Kante was very good in our half but still poor with the ball in AM's half of the pitch. Rudi was faultless.

1 hour ago, chippy said:

Rudi's quite incredible turnaround in form is going to free up the big wad of money we were planning on spending on a new CB.The cash should now go on a new RB.

Does this mean that the board did the right thing by sticking with these players instead of listening to Lampard? lol

2 hours ago, Azul said:

I honestly try to be as neutral as possible. I genuinely think he dived there, and the contact was very minimal (he barely touched him).

There was definitely contact but I don't think it warranted the reaction of Carrasco. He went down rather theatrically. 

1 hour ago, DDA said:

It feels like a team or two will be on the end of a spanking from us one of these days if we can get it firing offensively. Defensively, we have looked solid. It's just the final pass, the final touch in front of goal that is lacking.

By the way, to those who were complaining about Giroud not starting this game, here's what Tuchel said before the game about the selection:

https://www.si.com/soccer/Chelsea/news/thomas-tuchel-explains-Chelsea-team-selection-to-face-atletico-madrid-170321

"We have Oli from the bench and we have five guys that we can use from the bench

"We hope these guys can come on and have a huge impact, and Oli is one of them. We have Timo up front tonight, he brings a lot of speed, so hopefully we can create some trouble with quick runs to use his pace.

"We just felt that Atletico might feel more comfortable to fight and get into a battle against a player like Oli, rather than against someone like Timo who has real speed."

There will likely be tougher tests in the next round and maybe I'm jumping the gun a little when I say this but it's nice to have a manager again that provides the tactical nous, a solid team structure and a playing style that gives us a chance to compete on equal footing with these big teams or even outplaying them. Lampard was sorely lacking in all of those. Conte was too rigid with his system. Mourinho was far too defensive despite his tactical capabilities. Ancelotti had the tactical capabilities but got outdone by Mourinho and Fergie in lame fashion. Hiddink in 2008 was probably the last time we had a great manager and played like an excellent, intelligent team in Europe. It's refreshing to have seen us play Atletico twice with a streetwise-ness not seen for a very long time at this club. We basically out-Atletico Atletico over two legs. 

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

Even under Frank we were solid upto and including November with Mendy, ironically it was the attack that got him fired in the end.

oh definitely mendy made a huge difference: technical and mental.

However, there were times when Frank's suicidal starting XI made it really hard to keep a clean sheet.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

It feels like a team or two will be on the end of a spanking from us one of these days if we can get it firing offensively. Defensively, we have looked solid. It's just the final pass, the final touch in front of goal that is lacking.

When it clicks in the attacking third, we will be a serious problem for any team in Europe. 

When watching tonight's game, I was thinking a player like Felix would have been far more decisive if playing for us. He would have used that space properly. 

It feels as if the players who we do have aren't confident enough to really do what they want to do in that attacking third. There were glimpses of Ziyech coming out of his shell in the second half. Hopefully that goal will kick-start a run of form.

Superb display by Blues!!! Madrid played right into Tuchel's strategy and it was a sublime performance by the team. We r really played well in all sectors of the field, Interplay for the first goal is just wow!!! 

Kante has been fantastic under Tuchel and is one of the factor that we are being solid at the back. He has always been handful for the opposition, plays for the jersey, has a positive attitude and more. It was baffling that lot of our fans wanted to cash on him before the start of this season ... so glad that didnt happen. 

Edited by coolhead23

7 hours ago, chippy said:

Much easier games than I was expecting against AM. Happy to be in the QF's again but, as good as we've been in defence we won't keep getting away with scoring one goal a game. Someone has to start scoring more goals or we'll probably fall short of winning something and fail to qualify for the CL next season.

Not sure we need a RB/RWB before a CF or a technical and physical No.6 like SMS. I would also take a left footed CB before as well since we do not have one and that would open up more passing lanes. 

For me, James is doing a great job at the moment and is still only 21, no need to cut off his minutes. Furthermore, he is also pretty solid so injuries do not look like an issue, whilst that also means we can ensure that CHO gets time if we stay with a 3atb (which we should do.) 

Edited by King Kante