• Gilmour
    • Havertz
    • Anjorin
    • Abraham
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Werner (sub)
    • Kante (sub)

33 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Huh? Weren't both Utd goals essentially gifts? Wasn't a penalty and Maguire handballs Pogba's effort?

Criminals man. 

you always hit the nail on the head Skip

one of my all-time favourite posters here

plus I ADORE Cruyff (third greatest player in history after Diego and Pele IMHO), so that pic is a timeless winner, lol

a800db48916891175fb2ce27a989ccaa.jpgAjax 2 Panathinaikos 0 in June 1971 at Wembley. Johan Cruyff shows great  control in the European Cup Final.3516344d7741e7116a2179f77fafdcc6.jpgIn profile: Johan Cruyff | UEFA Champions League | UEFA.comThe Church of Cruyff

The Romanian is pointing to Webo and he says "ala negru" so the ref knows who was the unruly one in the Istanbul bench who should receive a card.
Then Webo reacts and says "why do you say negro ?" and the match is abandoned.
Erdogan also made a statement.
Now the "negro" is a racist word, although it was n't always a racist word.
But if this is so for English-French is it also the case for Romanian ?
If I put this phrase in the google translator and ask for Romanian to English, nothing comes out.
Perhaps our Romanian friends can illuminate the situation.

2 hours ago, cosmicway said:

The Romanian is pointing to Webo and he says "ala negru" so the ref knows who was the unruly one in the Istanbul bench who should receive a card.
Then Webo reacts and says "why do you say negro ?" and the match is abandoned.
Erdogan also made a statement.
Now the "negro" is a racist word, although it was n't always a racist word.
But if this is so for English-French is it also the case for Romanian ?
If I put this phrase in the google translator and ask for Romanian to English, nothing comes out.
Perhaps our Romanian friends can illuminate the situation.

Ăla means guy

Negru means black

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Ăla means guy

Negru means black

But is it racist ?
Myself I did n't know until fairly recently.
In Greek we used to say "Louis Armstrong, the great negro virtuoso of the saxophone", also the "negro spirituals".
It was n't such a common term of reference for black people though.
A greek fourth ref would say "the black one gets the card" and if he was a racist he would use another word, not the "n".
What is the situation for Romanian language though ?

By the way - the former boss of the Czech Football Association has been in custody for illegal actions and corruption for several weeks now and yesterday's referee's name (Kralovec) has just popped up in relation to this :lol: Based on the police wiretapping the ref is in deep, deep trouble.

2 hours ago, cosmicway said:

But is it racist ?
Myself I did n't know until fairly recently.
In Greek we used to say "Louis Armstrong, the great negro virtuoso of the saxophone", also the "negro spirituals".
It was n't such a common term of reference for black people though.
A greek fourth ref would say "the black one gets the card" and if he was a racist he would use another word, not the "n".
What is the situation for Romanian language though ?

Exactly the same situation as in Greek.

"Ala negru" = "The black one".

But from the point of view of a Romanian, the term "black" does not involve any form of racism, it is just a term used to differentiate one from another, in a country full of white people.

As a matter of fact I do not think I've ever seen black people on the streets of Romania or in the newspapers, or TV, offended by the racism in Romania because I do believe there is no hate towards black people there. 

If somebody would intend to be racist would use the term "crow". It is basically the most common one used towards the gipsies, too. But the gipsies don't care that much about it, though and I've probably seen two, maybe three people in my entire life calling some black dude a "crow" and they were probably some low life scumbags.

Romanian newspapers say it was actually the linesman, not the 4th official, telling the ref "book the black one, find out who he is and book him, the black one over there". Was it stupid to call him that, even though their were talking in Romanian? For sure. Was it intended to be racist? As a Romanian I do not think so because Romanians do not use the term "black" to offend anyone.

The funny thing is if the linesman/4th official would have used the actual Romanian racist term "crow" there would be no scandal now, because "cioara/cioroi" (crow) does not sound similar to any racist words used in other languages. And believe me 20 millions out of 20 millions Romanians would use "crow" if they would intend to be racist towards black people.

If we want to go far in this competition, we need to fix our home record in the Champions League. We have won only 3 of our last 12 home games in the competition:

L 1-2 PSG
W 6-0 Qarabag
D 3-3 Roma
D 1-1 Atletico
D 1-1 Barcelona
L 0-1 Valencia
D 4-4 Ajax
W 2-1 Lille
L 0-3 Bayern
D 0-0 Sevilla
W 3-0 Rennes
D 1-1 Krasnodar

In contrast, we have won 7 of our last 12 away games in the Champions League:

L 1-2 PSG
W 2-1 Atletico
L 0-3 Roma
W 4-0 Qarabag
L 0-3 Barcelona
W 2-1 Lille
W 1-0 Ajax
D 2-2 Valencia
L 1-4 Bayern
W 4-0 Krasnodar
W 2-1 Rennes
W 4-0 Sevilla

9 hours ago, DanP2311 said:

Normally I’d say that both at Timo and Havertz are adjusting and deserve patience. I think Werner can thrive in at least three different positions, and will find a role. Havertz is young. He fits a #10 role but doesn’t really get to play that role here. 

But I do worry that they are moping together and delaying the adjustment process.

My feelings too bud.

Once Timo gets' his shooting boots sorted out, he'll be awesome.

And likewise Kai even at this early stage he's can still show silky moves, nowhere near the finished article but it's probably going to take to next season, to get sorted.

In conclusion I have no doubt about either of them or their ability, I looked forward to the finished articles.

OH and I ended up watching our game and wished I hadn't bothered, and recording ManUre

Wee Billy was tremendous, considering it was his first full game since an horrendous injury.

IMO This is a misunderstanding due to the cultural differences between the referees and some of the players and the West in general. 

Calling someone "the black one" is not a racial slur over this part of Europe.As my fellow posters from Romania and Greece pointed out, there are far worse words  to use if you really intend to racially abuse someone.The most common ones in Bulgaria are "mangal" which is also mostly used towards the gipsies and "monkey". But calling someone "black" is not on the list and it's probably that way because we, like our neighbours, are   predominantly a white country. 

I get it, the word "negru" sounds like the n word and it pissed them off but inatead of ruining that referee's life with such strong accusations, they could have asked for an explanation and actually advise  him on how to be more careful with his words next time. There is absolutely no need for such overreaction. Deliberately abusing someone  is one thing but a mistake like yesterday's one can happen to anyone. But this Romanian guy will probably lose his job, get socially abused and suffer the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life. 

12 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Unreal. 

Excited to see him keep playing more with us and even more so so Steve Clarke can get him in the Scotland squad as well as we need someone of his quality in there be it from the start or in and around the squad for the Euros as an option. Hopefully he can keep playing well. Obviously still a long way for him to go in terms of being a regular member in this 11 as there are good options in MF but again, he's done himself no harm with last nights performance, he was very good. 

9 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Excited to see him keep playing more with us and even more so so Steve Clarke can get him in the Scotland squad as well as we need someone of his quality in there be it from the start or in and around the squad for the Euros as an option. Hopefully he can keep playing well. Obviously still a long way for him to go in terms of being a regular member in this 11 as there are good options in MF but again, he's done himself no harm with last nights performance, he was very good. 

Gilmour McGinn McTominay is an excellent midfield three. Exciting times for you lot. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

So, we will face 1 of these 7 teams in the Round of 16:

Atletico Madrid
Gladbach
Porto
Atalanta
Lazio
Barcelona
RB Leipzig

The draw will be held on Monday, at 11am GMT. 

More difficult: Atletico - Atalanta
Easiest: Porto - Lazio

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

So, we will face 1 of these 7 teams in the Round of 16:

Atletico Madrid
Gladbach
Porto
Atalanta
Lazio
Barcelona
RB Leipzig

The draw will be held on Monday, at 11am GMT. 

Had we finished 2nd in the group, we would have faced 1 of these 5 teams in the UCL Round of 16:

Bayern
Real Madrid
Dortmund
Juventus
PSG