Edouard Mendy

Jase

On 12/29/2020 at 11:20 AM, Tomo said:

I've said this before but it's not the fact the penalties are going in but it's the way he's being easily duped. Look at the penalties he's faced for us and how he's been easily sat down while the taker rolled (or in Kane's case smashed) it the other side, it happens every single time. He also let in 22 out of 23 before coming to us so it's clearly a huge issue.

I don't actually think he's been as bad as made out this month but I literally have no hope of him saving a penalty.

Tbf Courtois is also quite poor against penalties if I remember correctly. 

8 hours ago, killer1257 said:

He can't do anything at that range, especially considering the fact that he is tall. Small keepers like Kepa, Oblak or ter stegen maybe could close their legs a little bit faster because they are smaller, but big keepers have no chance at this range. I would say that also Oblak does not save that goal. But I remember here there was a time that snake got slaughtered every week, even though he was a world class GK. He also conceded goals that went through his legs, but can't do better because he is just taller. Wider GK stance and depending what type of fall he wants to do to save goals, it couls take very long. Kepa for instance saved a penalty from Hinteregger because he could close his smaller legs pretty fast (small compared to snake or Mendy).

That goal saves no keeper. Too close. AC was missing

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Any save from 6 yard box is usually pure luck, you just make yourself as big as possible. Hopefully it hit you

JFC! If ever there is an overreaction, it's this to Mendy. He has ticked all the boxes that a goalkeeper should be doing ever since he came in and he is the least of our worries right now. Plus, he also has 6 Premier League clean sheets this season; only 3 keepers have more than him. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

JFC! If ever there is an overreaction, it's this to Mendy. He has ticked all the boxes that a goalkeeper should be doing ever since he came in and he is the least of our worries right now. Plus, he also has 6 Premier League clean sheets this season; only 3 keepers have more than him. 

Don't get me wrong i have very little complaints about him outside of his technique with pens but it's something we must consider going forward in cup competiton's, it could cost us big time at some point (could argue it already has given Tottenham's draws since they played us).

22 hours ago, Beigl said:

On the other hand we should be glad that he is a good shot stopper. Without his saves we would likely have 6-8 points less. He gets the basics right, which is all we asked for when we signed him. His sweeping isn´t good either, but I can accept that considering Mendy is pretty decent in almost every goalkeeper attribute.

We should be used to concede penalty goals anyway. In the last twenty years we never had any good penalty stopper as our first goalkeeper. 

You're right in the league it shouldn't matter too much, but as above in cups it could cost us.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Don't get me wrong i have very little complaints about him outside of his technique with pens but it's something we must consider going forward in cup competiton's, it could cost us big game at some point (could argue it already has given Tottenham's draws since they played us).

Didn't Cech also use to be bad at saving penalties (Munich excluded)? One would assume or hope that Mendy is improving at this aspect in training and will do his homework before the big cup games.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Don't get me wrong i have very little complaints about him outside of his technique with pens but it's something we must consider going forward in cup competiton's, it could cost us big time at some point (could argue it already has given Tottenham's draws since they played us).

You're right in the league it shouldn't matter too much, but as above in cups it could cost us.

i understand your concern about his weak save percentage regarding pens and i agree, there will be games that will be decided by a pen save, the Everton loss comes to mind, and also imagine other tight games where we are leading 1-0 or 2-1 and the opponent gets a late pen, this shit happens a lot, these tight little margins are the difference between failure and success.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Didn't Cech also use to be bad at saving penalties (Munich excluded)? One would assume or hope that Mendy is improving at this aspect in training and will do his homework before the big cup games.

Yep, but with Cech there were some he got close too and the odd save was there and therefore the hope that if we go to a shootout he'd get to one, Mendy genuinely isn't giving any hope he'll dive the right way for one let alone actually save it. 

He also let in 22/23 before us, don't know if the other was saved or missed.

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

Correct. Cech has saved only 2 penalties in his first 5 years at Chelsea. And how many PK shootouts he won for us before Munich? There may be some but I don't remember any.

• 1 month later...

Mendys clean sheets under Tuchel:

Wolves 0 shots on target

Burnley 0 

Atletico 0

And Spurs had 2 but nothing dangerous.

Nothing he could do for Rudiger own goal and Minamino goal. Overall he was not tested at all in those 6 games. This is great for us ofc.

Defenders are probably more confident with him. Kepa made some great saves in his 2 games under Tuchel, he will play FA Cup games I guess.

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Mendys clean sheets under Tuchel:

Wolves 0 shots on target

Burnley 0 

Atletico 0

And Spurs had 2 but nothing dangerous.

Nothing he could do for Rudiger own goal and Minamino goal. Overall he was not tested at all in those 6 games. This is great for us ofc.

Defenders are probably more confident with him. Kepa made some great saves in his 2 games under Tuchel, he will play FA Cup games I guess.

There's a reason teams keep having no shots on target when Mendy is between the sticks (happened under Lampard pre slump aswell). When teams are that solid defensively the keeper is always a big part of that.