Edouard Mendy

Jase

It's obvious that Mendy isn't the only one who has improved our defence but here's our xG conceded WITH and WITHOUT Mendy in the Premier League this season:

WITHOUT MENDY
vs Brighton - 1.05 (conceded 1)
vs Liverpool - 2.12 (conceded 2)
vs West Brom - 0.58 (conceded 3!!!)
vs Southampton - 1.88 (conceded 3)

WITH MENDY
vs Crystal Palace - 0.15 (clean sheet)
vs Man United - 0.66 (clean sheet)
vs Burnley - 0.5 (clean sheet)
vs Sheffield United - 0.43 (conceded 1)
vs Newcastle - 0.35 (clean sheet)
vs Spurs - 0.19 (clean sheet)

So much for it being Lamprds fault we conceded all these stupid goals with Kepa. 

a good goalie like Mendy makes the defence more confident and improved communication. On top of that Mendy so far has made every save that should be expected and some. 

makes it even more important to find a proper back up goalie quickly. We are just an injury away from total collapse. 

This guy still keeps on impressing. Essentially had the same defence as Kepa last season today and the difference is so clear. Look how confident guys like AC & AR were with him behind them. Even Emerson was decent defensively. We needed leaders on the pitch, I'm glad Edouard seems to be one. 

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

This guy still keeps on impressing. Essentially had the same defence as Kepa last season today and the difference is so clear. Look how confident guys like AC & AR were with him behind them. Even Emerson was decent defensively. We needed leaders on the pitch, I'm glad Edouard seems to be one. 

agreed. Hard to measure his influence in numbers, but it's plain to see.

Have to confess that goal keeping is the position I have the most trouble assessing ability and potential. I look for a few things, the very things Kepa has always lacked, but by no means it is a comprehensive list: positioning, reach, and command of the area (esp in set pieces).

Still, this guy is looking better than "good" to my layman's eyes... is this his normal? because if it is, then perhaps he's WC or in the thereabouts; or am I missing something?

25 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

agreed. Hard to measure his influence in numbers, but it's plain to see.

Have to confess that goal keeping is the position I have the most trouble assessing ability and potential. I look for a few things, the very things Kepa has always lacked, but by no means it is a comprehensive list: positioning, reach, and command of the area (esp in set pieces).

Still, this guy is looking better than "good" to my layman's eyes... is this his normal? because if it is, then perhaps he's WC or in the thereabouts; or am I missing something?

Time will tell. If he can keep up this consistency long term he should be in those conversations for sure. 

If he continues to get clean sheets/wins us games and we mount a serious title challenge, he will deserve recognition. 

18 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Time will tell. If he can keep up this consistency long term he should be in those conversations for sure. 

If he continues to get clean sheets/wins us games and we mount a serious title challenge, he will deserve recognition. 

Agreed. On the other hand I was wondering whether goalie aficionados see any weakness in Mendy's game, because I certainly don't. Distribution? I may have heard positioning from someone, but I don't see it. dunno.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

This.

yes! You don't need a top GK to get silverware (it does help though), but you definitely cannot win without at least a competent one (esp because the whole confidence thing).

4 hours ago, killer1257 said:

TC is the best example for that

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of the XG metric but how on earth did they make out 1.3 for the other night?

I know they had a lot of shots but most were quite speculative and I can't remember ever fearing one was going to go in.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I'm a big fan of the XG metric but how on earth did they make out 1.3 for the other night?

I know they had a lot of shots but most were quite speculative and I can't remember ever fearing one was going to go in.

According to this, Sevilla's xG was only 1. Think their most dangerous moment was that goalmouth scramble from a set piece (IIRC). 

PRAISE 

Bayern Munich ace Manuel Neuer labels Edouard Mendy ‘world class’ following Chelsea new boy’s electric start at Stamford Bridge

https://talksport.com/football/799947/manuel-neuer-edouard-mendy-chelsea-stamford-bridge/

Rio Ferdinand agrees with Manuel Neuer about Chelsea's Edouard Mendy

Edouard Mendy has been in fine form since joining Chelsea from French outfit Rennes during the summer transfer window, helping the club solve their defensive troubles

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/edouard-mendy-chelsea-news-neuer-19414746

On 12/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, Tomo said:

My only worry with him is penalty's every other aspect he's exceeded my expectations and i couldn't be happier.

You need to add another one - him playing as a sweeper. 

TWO fucking braindead errors in consecutive weekends. Today's is even worst than last week's! :rant:

1 minute ago, Jason said:

You need to add another one - him playing as a sweeper. 

To add to the worry I checked his career record with penalties the other day and it was 22 out of 23 that went in (and that doesn't include the Spurs shootout).

Luckily in the FA Cup and CL we get a 4th sub if games go to ET, we absolutely must save that slot for a keeper change if it comes to pens.

Sweeping is his real weakness. He might get better over time. People forget that this season is his third season in a higher division. Also, it did not help that RJ injured him couple of minutes before his mistake.

I don't mind him being bad at saving penaldos. Penaldos should be scored anyway.

1 minute ago, killer1257 said:

Sweeping is his real weakness. He might get better over time. People forget that this season is his third season in a higher division. Also, it did not help that RJ injured him couple of minutes before his mistake.

I don't mind him being bad at saving penaldos. Penaldos should be scored anyway.

The frustrating thing about today's mistake is that Mendy didn't even need to come out for it. Silva (or was it Zouma) was there to deal with it but he turned into Kepa for some bloody reason. :doh: 

4 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Problem is, in knockout tournaments you often have to win a PK shootout to win the trophy, 2 of our 3 major European title's came through having to win one.

It's not the fact he's not saving them that worry me, but he's getting easily outsmarted and sat down (literally) every single time!

I hate to do this as he's been fantastic in so many ways for us but it's a real weakness for him.