Kai Havertz

Blues11

19 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Just for info Vesper,

Native speakers wouldn't use 'quid' in that way. Some slang terms which would be used in that context are; 'dosh', 'dough', 'lucre', or 'moolah'. There are others but those'll keep you going. :)

I have seen moolah before but never used it in my life

dosh sure, used that a lot

dough, not so much (seen it as more of a yank thing)

lucre usually is prefaced with filthy

never had someone object to the use of quid in such fashion before

scratch and bread I use too :)

7 hours ago, Vesper said:

I have seen moolah before but never used it in my life

dosh sure, used that a lot

dough, not so much (seen it as more of a yank thing)

lucre usually is prefaced with filthy

never had someone object to the use of quid in such fashion before

scratch and bread I use too :)

That's because few of them are as naturally inclined toward helpfulness as I am. :)

In any case, observing not objecting. 🙂

Quid is always used with a numerical qualifier. That qualifier is either a simple number, or it's a phrase indicating a quantity, e.g. 'a few quid.' I don't suppose there's anything inherently wrong with it, but I've never come across a native speaker of UK English using quid as you did above.

It's a bit like that scene in Inglorious Bastards where the Englishman gives himself away by indicating a number using his fingers, but doing so in a way that no German ever would. 

8 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

If we get him for 45mil, I would be elated with the signing, but if I see 75mil used on him, it would feel like we wasted so much money. 

There is the likes of Zaha, Coutinho (and so many others) you could say that indeed 70-80M would be a total waste, which I agree with, but definitely not Havertz.

Maybe inconsistent at times and his numbers are not Mbappe like, but his potential is immense, top 3 in the world if you ask me. He simply is in the mould of so many quality players you can't yet decide who he resembles best, there is so much of Zidane, Cruyff, Kaka in his game, even the way he comes into the box makes you think of all the greatest goalscoring midfielders like hopefully his soon to be manager Frank Lampard, there is also some Ballack in his game, his vision and close control is sublime for his age, so calm and efortless, especially the way he moves the ball with ease given he is tall and has a high center of gravity, just like Ibrahimovic.

This guy is the jack of all trades if you ask me, 75-80M could prove to be a coup in a few years. I mean I am sure it will be, this price is low(ish) because of the current world climate, otherwise he'd not move from Leverkusen for less than 130-140M before bonuses.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I wonder...if we had tried to sign Havertz back in December or January, how many people would have said the things that they are saying now? :carlo: 

Because the name Havertz kept occurring in Vesper's recommendations, I had checked him out and I can say for sure that my thoughts now are only slightly different from what I would have said then.

What I'd have said then is that I can't believe we'll snatch a player of that quality away from the bigger, more attractive, clubs. What I'm thinking now is that we're all wasting our time engaging in this pointless speculation. He's never coming here.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Because the name Havertz kept occurring in Vesper's recommendations, I had checked him out and I can say for sure that my thoughts now are only slightly different from what I would have said then.

What I'd have said then is that I can't believe we'll snatch a player of that quality away from the bigger, more attractive, clubs. What I'm thinking now is that we're all wasting our time engaging in this pointless speculation. He's never coming here.

Not questioning his talent but am pretty sure a lot of people are just jumping onto the Havertz bandwagon, especially given his recent form. However, he was poor in the first half of the season and hence, I wondered how many would be championing for his signing had we gone after him back in January. 

Christian Falk

@cfbayern
· 6 min
Because of many requests. True: Kai Havertz can imagine to play for @ChelseaFC. True: there are already talks. But: @ChelseaFC is not the one and only Club for Havertz @realmadrid @FCBarcelona @ManUtd @FCBayern @NUFC

12 hours ago, Tomo said:

I disagree and I think he's been fine all things considered.

After returning from injury he was on a goal contribution a month, including a winning assist in the CL a minute after he came on. Admittedly in the winter months he had a rut but in January he exploded back into form and was our best attacker in that period.

Exactly my point, Lamps eased him in, and once he got up and running he was pretty good. Lets hope them injuries dont hamper his progress.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I wonder...if we had tried to sign Havertz back in December or January, how many people would have said the things that they are saying now? :carlo: 

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Well, on first page of this thread it was said that he is having a very poor and horrid season. He definitely did not had good stats.

1 hour ago, jandomi10 said:
Christian Falk

@cfbayern
· 6 min
Because of many requests. True: Kai Havertz can imagine to play for @ChelseaFC. True: there are already talks. But: @ChelseaFC is not the one and only Club for Havertz @realmadrid @FCBarcelona @ManUtd @FCBayern @NUFC

I feel like Bayern and Real are only real competitors here. Bayern was about to splash cash on Sane but because of Havertz they may change plans and try to take him in January for just 20m (6 months left on contract).

Real is always top option for players but I think Havertz may think now it is best to go somewhere else and than when he is established as a top player to go to Madrid. Like Ronaldo or Hazard.

Rudiger and Werner may have huge impact here hopefully for us.

27 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Well, on first page of this thread it was said that he is having a very poor and horrid season. He definitely did not had good stats.

I never take much account of stats in assessing a player. I'm not suggesting that stats mean nothing, that is absolutely not true. Nor would I expect to convince anyone that ignoring stats leads to better decisions. I'm just honestly reporting how I do it.

What I attempt to do instead is make an independent assessment of the player's quality; does he do the basics to an exceptionally high standard, is his decision making good, in any given piece of action do I believe he has handled the situation as well as I would expect any professional to do, or has he produced a superior outcome. Only if players pass these tests do I then start to take an interest in their stats.

As to the early comments in this thread, you'll notice there isn't much from me. That's because I believed this player is not obtainable by Chelsea. If we do sign Havertz then I'll feel that I must have overrated him, but I'll be happy all the same.

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

COVID-19 has opened the door with a unique key. I am not so pessimistic. 

I definitely think Toni is communicating with him and encouraging him to come here. Maybe even Werner nudging him our way so they come in together. That may give us an advantage over any other English club that are after him. Plus, we've seen how big of a draw Lampard is for these younger players. Havertz has a hell of a lot of Lampard about his game so I'd imagine Frank will have a pretty convincing presentation that could also be a big advantage for us.

Bayern don't ever splash mega money, do they? Are they really prepared to spend £70-100m? He also doesn't really strike me as the ready made superstar that Real Madrid like either.