6. Thiago Silva

Jase

Although we had nothing to lose by signing Silva, I was on the fence whether he would make a huge impact for us and he has proven to be real quality for us. Along with new signings like Mendy and Chilwell, he has given the backline and team a sense of normalcy and confidence at the back, instead of the slapstick defending we saw a lot of last season. 

On 31/10/2020 at 7:31 PM, OneMoSalah said:

Very good again. Pity hes 36 and not 26.

Even if he was 30,31 the way he's played the last couple of seasons we could easily have given him a 3 year deal and not expect him to become a very bad player over that time.

Pity though but I think this is our best signing this summer. The wealth of experience, the leadership, the mentality on top of the level he's at. I would say adding that to the squad was vital. The other signings are very good additions too but I think Thiago will be the most vital one to this group, not just on the pitch but off it. Once he gets a good grasp of English it will be great for these guys around him. 

Him, Kurt and Mendy, all being French speakers has undoubtedly helped him settle into the team as seamlessly as he has done since that WBA game. As well as Ngolo. Then guys like Jorgi, Oli, Emerson too, all speaking French/Italian. 

This Silva guy, reminds me of the Macel Desailly and John Terry partnership, JT then a young man learnt an awful lot from play alongside Marcel and become the player he turned out to be.

I'm hoping that this can happen with Zouma, so far he's looked a lot better with Thiago along side him, oh and Big Ed at the back

Thiago Silva says he hopes to renew his Chelsea contract

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/club-news/thiago-silva-says-he-hopes-to-renew-his-chelsea-contract/

Chelsea defender Thiago Silva said he is proud to play under Frank Lampard and hopes the club will renew his contract at the end of the season.

Like many other older players at Chelsea in recent years, the 36-year-old will likely have to negotiate a yearly contract with the club.

Silva joined the Blues on a free transfer and signed a one-year contract this summer, with the club having the option to trigger a 12-month extension — and so far it’s safe to say he has proved he deserves another year.

Frank Lampard has repeatedly hailed the Brazil international’s influence on and off the pitch, having led Chelsea defence to five clean-sheets in their last six games.

Speaking in his press conference for the Brazil national team on Tuesday, Silva also seems to enjoy the few months he has had playing under Lampard.

FBL-EUR-C1-CHELSEA-SEVILLA

“I am very proud to be coached by someone who has been one of the best midfielders in the world and to have faced him as a player,” the former PSG captain told the reporters about the Chelsea manager (via L’equipe).

“We exchange our ideas in the locker room and that’s a very good thing. He talks to me a lot and I try to help my best, on and off the pitch, in order to keep playing in the best possible way.”

Chelsea Training Session & Press Conference

Silva also sent a clear message to his boss — he wants to stay for another season at Stamford Bridge.

“I have learned in [a lot of different competitions] and I use it to help young players,” he added.

“This is my first experience in the Premier League. I hope to continue to play well and that my contract will be renewed.”

Even at this early stage, no problem give him another year, then another ,then another:D

That's from me his biggest critic before he came here, now I don't watch the forwards just Thiago, just oozes class, never gets fazed, organises play and of course defending, don't need to go running around the pitch, seems to know instictively where to be.

7 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Even at this early stage, no problem give him another year, then another ,then another:D

That's from me his biggest critic before he came here, now I don't watch the forwards just Thiago, just oozes class, never gets fazed, organises play and of course defending, don't need to go running around the pitch, seems to know instictively where to be.

I wasnt too fond of it either, I mean its the EPL and he's 36 ffs.....yet he shut us doubters down from the get go. I dont think I have seen such an old defender do so good. He might not be the fastest around but he sure as hell knows positioning and closing out the danger, superb CB and imo so far the best CB in the league now that vvd is out.