6. Thiago Silva

Jase

On 22/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, Vesper said:

Thiago Silva feels “a bit more relaxed” at Chelsea than at PSG

Speaking in an interview with Esporte Interativo, Chelsea central defender Thiago Silva described his new club as being a bit more relaxed than former employers PSG.

“For me, it would have been difficult to do another year with all this pressure to win the Champions’ League. I am changing scenery a bit and I feel a bit more relaxed. Not to say that there isn’t pressure, pressure is the same. I play for a great team that is looking for titles.”

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/thiago-silva-feels-a-bit-more-relaxed-at-chelsea-than-at-psg/

west-bromwich-albion-v-chelsea-premier-league-806x518.jpg

Would be hilarious if he won the CL here instead. 

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Would be hilarious if he won the CL here instead. 

It would be a travesty if he joins the ridiculously short list of Roman era players who don't win one of the big two while here.

2 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Still world class

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

In my opinion he's the best centre back in the league after Van Dijk.

I'm amazed that PSG let him go at the level he's still at, and that no other big clubs went in for him.

He has passed the eye test. Apart from the mistake vs West Brom, he has been quietly snuffing out danger and makes Christensen/Zouma/Rudi look like a level below. 

Time for him to play in a less protected defense now

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

In my opinion he's the best centre back in the league after Van Dijk.

I'm amazed that PSG let him go at the level he's still at, and that no other big clubs went in for him.

I think the slow start to his career (which included a lengthy lay off due to his illness in Russia) is actually helping him now. 

I know he said (in his introduction press conference) that he had no interest in coming to the PL at this point but I can't help but imagine what might have been had we bagged him in 2012, would have probably been 2nd to JT in our all time list possibly even eclipsed him, not only that he'd have also given Luiz some much needed stability.

I admit my reaction to signing him I was totally against it, too old I said he's a geriatric.

I hold my hands up and say I was wrong, he just oozes class, I don't care if he's a plaster, even just one season will be a pleasure to see him, if we can get 2 seasons a real result.

That block on cavani though... shows he still has that class. You dont always have to be the quickest, its all about reading the game and anticipation as JT has shown us through the years.
Even though JT was horrible in a high line.
Thiago Silva can do it all

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Clean sheets and sublime Silva bring tough but welcome problems for Lampard

https://theathletic.com/2165953/2020/10/29/chelsea-defence-champions-league/

GettyImages-1229262919-scaled-e1603956450658-1024x683.jpg

Even when Chelsea are keeping clean sheets, the defenders are still giving coach Frank Lampard a problem to solve.

There are just over a couple of months to go until the January transfer window opens and as far as the centre-backs are concerned, five into four just doesn’t go. Chelsea have one too many on their books and someone surely has to make way for their own good as well as for squad harmony.

Up until a few days ago the pecking order seemed set. Thiago Silva, who didn’t travel to Russia to face Krasnodar in the Champions League so his 36-year-old legs can be saved for Burnley at the weekend, is already top of the rankings as far as Lampard is concerned.

Game time made it rather easy to figure out the rest of the pecking order: At two, Kurt Zouma (played in nine of 10 matches); At three, Andreas Christensen (four Premier League starts); At four, Fikayo Tomori (three appearances); And bringing up the rear Antonio Rudiger (zero minutes).

But things can change very quickly as Rudiger’s sudden promotion into the first team to face Krasnodar demonstrates. The Germany international was hoping to move at the start of October but nothing materialised. Now after holding positive talks with Lampard, he appears to be back in favour.

One would think after helping Chelsea keep Krasnodar goal-less, he has jumped from last position to third at the least, leaving academy graduates Tomori and Christensen with much to ponder.

Christensen suddenly has more reason to be concerned than anyone else. When Zouma briefly went down in the first half with an injury, it was Tomori who was asked to warm up while he remained seated on the sidelines.

Lampard is clearly aware there is an issue with having so many men that can play in the same position. The general rule at most clubs is four centre backs is enough. Speaking afterwards, he said: “Going forward, we need more than two centre backs. We have Thiago at home and we have Tomori and Christensen in the squad. It is not easy to keep five centre backs happy but we need the levels of competition that we saw on the pitch against Krasnodar to keep moving forward.”

But as long as Silva stays fit, Chelsea essentially have four individuals fighting it out to start alongside him and that is obviously going to lead to a lot of disappointment over the coming weeks.

No-one can argue with Silva’s ‘untouchable’ status. Apart from one sloppy mistake on debut during the 3-3 draw at West Brom, the Brazil international has stood out on the pitch.

The former PSG veteran has made a huge impact behind the scenes too despite not knowing the English language. One insider talks about how his great attitude is infectious on the group and that he is one of the best when it comes to interacting with the staff, as well as team-mates. The potential obstacle caused by a lack of English is overcome with his personality.

Another source talks about how Silva’s qualities as a defender are rubbing off on the others. His vast knowledge of the game is clear and he isn’t afraid to get involved in physical duels when a cross is being put into the area.

Kurt Zouma said as much when he spoke ahead of the Krasnodar fixture. “He (Silva) brings experience,” Zouma enthused. “We know he’s been winning a lot of trophies. As soon as he came in, he was part of the group, already talking to the players. It’s great for us. He brings calm.”

Chelsea’s only regret about Silva is that he isn’t getting any younger. As Lampard explained when asked about his absence in Russia: “It’s about managing his game time. Thiago is an individual that has to be managed. We saw the quality of him at the weekend (in the 0-0 draw at Manchester United) and we want to keep those levels.”

Silva will have to miss more matches over the course of the campaign, which will give opportunities for the others. The intense schedule of Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, once it starts in the new year, will be too much for him to cope with.

To add to that, Silva’s desire to play for Brazil means there will be issues every time there is an international break. As we saw earlier this month, he didn’t play against Southampton, a game Chelsea dropped a crucial two points in after drawing 3-3, because he had flown back from a match in Peru just a few days before.

The same situation will occur in November, presuming he is selected as usual. Brazil face Uruguay in Montevideo on the evening of November 17 and he won’t be able to start the long journey back (direct flights take around 15-16 hours) until the early hours of the following morning. That makes it extremely unlikely Silva will play at Newcastle on November 21.

On the plus side, international football will then take a break until March. And Chelsea’s game immediately after Brazil v Argentina on March 30 is at home to West Brom. That’s not the worst game for him to sit out given there is a potential Champions League quarter-final, should they get there of course, the following midweek.

But where does this leave the remaining quartet? Zouma appears to be in favour because of his heading prowess and ability to communicate with Silva and new keeper Edouard Mendy in French. His poor display against Southampton, where he made mistakes for all three goals, was forgiven. Similarly, the Frenchman was unconvincing during the 0-0 draw with Sevilla, particularly in possession, but he has been in the side that has just kept three successive clean sheets so would be hard to drop now.

Krasnodar didn’t have the quality to really test Rudiger either, but given he hadn’t played a single minute for Chelsea this season, he will be satisfied with his comeback performance.

Lampard certainly was. He said: “I didn’t have doubts over Toni. His training and professionalism has been very clear from the beginning since I have been here and certainly in recent weeks. I was very pleased with his concentration levels and the whole back four and five with (Edouard) Mendy as well.”

Tomori, who had passed a medical, may now be wondering whether he made the correct call in turning down a season-long loan to West Ham just before the deadline closed on October 5. Sources have told The Athletic that the U-turn came about because he wasn’t convinced by manager David Moyes’ promise he would feature regularly. The thing is he hasn’t played at all for Chelsea since making that decision and if this continues, then surely another loan will be explored in the new year.

But Christensen might have to consider that option too. Despite Zouma being the one at fault against Southampton, he was the one Lampard decided to leave out in the following fixtures and barring injury, it is hard to see when he will get another run-out.

With both Tomori and Christensen having ambitions of representing England and Denmark respectively at the European Championships next summer, neither can afford to be watching the action from the stands.

Of the two, Christensen has more critics from within the fan base, yet it would be good to see how either would fare with the reassuring presence of Silva alongside them at some point. Unlike Zouma and Rudiger, the academy duo are comfortable on the ball, which is a key element in how Lampard wants to play out from the back.

As Chelsea laboured in the first half against Krasnodar, it was noticeable how Zouma and Rudiger struggled whenever they were asked to make a pass forwards of more than 10 yards. On too many occasions, they appeared to take the safe option of knocking it sideways to each other.

A lot can happen before January. There is plenty of time for a change of fortune, either good or bad, for any of the quintet. Lampard can’t complain about a lack of options, but having one centre half too many may lead to some difficult decisions and conversations ahead.

11 minutes ago, Milan said:

As I said in the match thread - finding an error in the universe and making him able to play for 5 more years at this level should be of the highest priority. He is the synonym for class.

The guy was something else. Every clearance he made was like a pass to our own player. He was spreading the ball to James at will, composed passing and most importantly has this sixth sense to sense danger and be in the right place at the right time.

I was getting Calvalho vibes with his performance today.

Very good again. Pity hes 36 and not 26.

Even if he was 30,31 the way he's played the last couple of seasons we could easily have given him a 3 year deal and not expect him to become a very bad player over that time.

Pity though but I think this is our best signing this summer. The wealth of experience, the leadership, the mentality on top of the level he's at. I would say adding that to the squad was vital. The other signings are very good additions too but I think Thiago will be the most vital one to this group, not just on the pitch but off it. Once he gets a good grasp of English it will be great for these guys around him. 

Him, Kurt and Mendy, all being French speakers has undoubtedly helped him settle into the team as seamlessly as he has done since that WBA game. As well as Ngolo. Then guys like Jorgi, Oli, Emerson too, all speaking French/Italian. 

Looking at level of Zlatan, Silva, Ronaldo this season I wonder when they stop? 

Would not be surprised if Silva after two years with Chelsea go back to Italy.

Zlatan is close to 40s and is still world class. Milan from mid table to top of the table with him.

Ronaldo will still play in his 40s in USA, he will break all records.

If he carries on playing at this level, Frank will get that second year signed up for him anyway.

But I really hope fans are allowed back in the stadiums at some point this season because unlike the rest of our signings, he is realistically only a short term one and he deserves a few standing ovations at the Bridge.

I always knew he was quality from his Milan and PSG days, but to be playing at the incredibly high standard he is at 36 (we're not talking just good enough to play in the Premier League, we're talking a very valid argument for him being the best centre back in the Premier League currently) speaks volumes. So far, he has been a quite outstanding signing.