Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

21. Ben Chilwell

Jas
Followers 6

Finally played the ball with first touch and made an assist immediately. Before that he had like 3 similar situations and took way too many touches and way too much time before playing it to team mates.

• Like 2
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tears in my eyes. Finally a proper left back. 

Don't want to kneejerk too soon but if he keeps this up this will be my worst misjudgement ever, and I've made some in my time.

On 25/04/2021 at 09:40, Milan said:

Finally played the ball with first touch and made an assist immediately. Before that he had like 3 similar situations and took way too many touches and way too much time before playing it to team mates.

Yeah it is infuriating at times.

The best fullbacks know when to go first time, when to take a touch and put it on or when to recycle it. 

Chilwell is guilty of taking too many at times, his delivery is usually not bad but the extra touch or two ruins the momentum of our moves and allows people to close him down.

Have been impressed with how hes bounced back though, Alonso at the beginning looked like he would be more regular out of the two but Chilwell is slowly growing into the wingback role.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yeah it is infuriating at times.

The best fullbacks know when to go first time, when to take a touch and put it on or when to recycle it. 

Chilwell is guilty of taking too many at times, his delivery is usually not bad but the extra touch or two ruins the momentum of our moves and allows people to close him down.

Have been impressed with how hes bounced back though, Alonso at the beginning looked like he would be more regular out of the two but Chilwell is slowly growing into the wingback role.

That's a common problem with most players in the team really. A lot of them tend to take too long to play the final pass or allergic to passing forward to speed up the buildup play/provide penetration.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 26/04/2021 at 16:42, Jas said:

That's a common problem with most players in the team really. A lot of them tend to take too long to play the final pass or allergic to passing forward to speed up the buildup play/provide penetration.

I'm afraid I want the club to go shopping for a left back once again this summer. Leicester fans' assessment of Chilwell had me worried when he was linked. It is now clear that they were right and that it was right to take their opinions seriously.

After Ben's first game I commented that, unlike Marcos, he was prepared to use his right foot so that at least was an improvement. I spoke too soon however. I am totally fed up watching professional footballers having to turn down easy forward passes, and opt for momentum destroying backwards ones instead, because all they can do with their weaker foot is stand on it. From now, we must only sign two footed full backs. With the modern method, one-footed full backs are even more of a hindrance than they have always been. Ben is not the solution for us.

By the way, the women play their Champions League Final tonight. The regular left back is, in my opinion, a weak link when we have the ball because she's not great with it at her feet and is also hopelessly one-footed. We are always better in possession when either Blundell or Charles deputise for her. Those too are among the best ball players, and passers, in the squad. Barcelona are favourites tonight but, in my opinion, our chances improve a lot if Blundell or particularly Charles start. Indeed I'd play 3-4-3 with both of those in the side as wingbacks. Easily doable since both of them are fully two footed.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie
hace 5 minutos, OhForAGreavsie dijo:

I'm afraid I want the club to go shopping for a left back once more this summer. Leicester fans' assessment of Chilwell had me worried when he was linked and it is now clear that they were right and it was right to take their opinions seriously. After Ben's first game I commented that, unlike Marcos, he was prepared to use his right foot so that at least was an improvement but I spoke too soon. I am totally fed up watching professional footballers having to turn down easy forward passes, and opt for momentum destroying backwards ones instead, because all they can do with their weaker foot is stand on it. From now, we must only sign two footed full backs. Ben is not the solution for us.

I think some of this is harsh, although granted he isn’t always brilliant at times/hasn’t been this season but he has certainly improved with Tuchel after a initial dodgy start when he was deservedly out of the team. 

His relationship and insistence on only passing to Mason at times is sometimes infuriating though. I feel that at times he and Mason sometimes overplay when there are good opportunities of trying to spread the play or look at more progressive options. Or as we seen in some games particularly v Fulham that overindulging of Mason drifting to the left to get the ball from Ben, gave Gilmour a lot of work against 2 CMs when BG had initially started the game badly also. Its not the worst thing they obviously have a good understanding and chemistry on the pitch but also at times I just want to see Ben drive at someone, take them on, but he turns inside or goes backwards. As a wingback you’d think he would be more encouraged and thats why I can see the Benjamin Mendy links as far fetched as they may be because the guy just gets the ball and drives at folk or arrives in positions to make an impact where he can deliver the ball very often. 

This is also what I really admire and like about Luke Shaw when I have seen him this last season and a half or 2 seasons with Ole. At times he is just motoring past people when there is space available, physically he is very strong and he just picks the ball up and drives forward and it also relieves the pressure and allows for them to bring the whole team up the pitch 10-15 yards. He obviously has refined his game and particularly his end product after a few disappointing seasons at United also which helps. He looks like he is going to be England’s number 1 LB for a good while at this rate.

I do agree regarding the one footed thing, it is infuriating at this level for any player. Cahill was a bad example of it under Conte in his second season particularly also. Not exactly for Chilwell but its a pity that Rudiger isn’t naturally left footed for the LCB role although he does use his left a lot and well we seen Zouma’s role in the build up to the Arsenal goal also. The lack of trust in his weaker side when he had Chilwell and Gilmour on really accountes towards that shambolic goal. I really would of maybe liked to have seen Tuchel or even Conte experiment with Alonso as a left sided CB as he played there briefly in Italy although he does have his short comings. No doubt having a more natural left footed CB may allow us to build better and utilise those passing angles more. Im sure Tuchel used Emerson there in the FA cup in a back 3 too.

• Like 1
On 16/05/2021 at 17:06, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm afraid I want the club to go shopping for a left back once again this summer. Leicester fans' assessment of Chilwell had me worried when he was linked. It is now clear that they were right and that it was right to take their opinions seriously.

After Ben's first game I commented that, unlike Marcos, he was prepared to use his right foot so that at least was an improvement. I spoke too soon however. I am totally fed up watching professional footballers having to turn down easy forward passes, and opt for momentum destroying backwards ones instead, because all they can do with their weaker foot is stand on it. From now, we must only sign two footed full backs. With the modern method, one-footed full backs are even more of a hindrance than they have always been. Ben is not the solution for us.

By the way, the women play their Champions League Final tonight. The regular left back is, in my opinion, a weak link when we have the ball because she's not great with it at her feet and is also hopelessly one-footed. We are always better in possession when either Blundell or Charles deputise for her. Those too are among the best ball players, and passers, in the squad. Barcelona are favourites tonight but, in my opinion, our chances improve a lot if Blundell or particularly Charles start. Indeed I'd play 3-4-3 with both of those in the side as wingbacks. Easily doable since both of them are fully two footed.

He's a weird one.

I absolutely love his personality within the locker room and he's a lot better defensively than I expected but attacking wise he's just as meh as I feared, the lack of aggression going forward compared to the two Scots to name two prime examples is stark and he doesn't seem to have any real working relationship with the players infront of him (he didn't really work with Harvey Barnes either who's developed relationships with Castagne and Thomas very quickly). 15 years ago that could have probably been worked around but in the present era consistent attacking presence from fullback is crucial to successful teams.

He's not bad by any stretch of the imagination but I just can't help but feel we need at the very least a different profile of player to rotate with him depending on opponent.

• Like 1
On 17/05/2021 at 20:22, Tomo said:

and he's a lot better defensively than I expected but attacking wise he's just as meh as I feared, the lack of aggression going forward compared to the two Scots to name two prime examples is stark and he doesn't seem to have any real working relationship with the players infront of him 

Goal or assist around every 300mins for a full back is very good I would say. He actually surprised me there.

And there is this: Chilwell played part in 7 open play goals this season in the league (goal or assist) in around 2300 mins. Mount 6 in around 2900 mins 💋

hace 1 hora, NikkiCFC dijo:

Goal or assist around every 300mins for a full back is very good I would say. He actually surprised me there.

And there is this: Chilwell played part in 7 open play goals this season in the league (goal or assist) in around 2300 mins. Mount 6 in around 2900 mins 💋

Only issue with Chilwell is his lack of aggressiveness/determination to make a real impact on the game in the final third compared to other fullbacks.

When he arrives in the final third he doesnt really do so with the aims of influencing the game in the same way that other fullbacks do hence why hes only got 5 PL assists in almost 2300 minutes. Although I suppose for a fullback thats maybe not the worst but there sure are times he is extremely frustrating. 

Think his last PL assist was v West Han a month ago. Then before that his last PL assist was in December v Villa. He only has 2 assist in half a season with Tuchel in all competitions which isn’t great. All in all, could be worse could be better in terms of his performances at times, the price tag always going to weigh down on him if he doesn’t up his level though and become a better player. I think mentally he isnt ever going to be driven enough to become the best or one of the best in his position though and that is worrying. 

From BBC:

Chelsea's Ben Chilwell registered his eighth goal involvement in the Premier League this season (3 goals, 5 assists) - among defenders, only Trent Alexander-Arnold has been involved in more (9).

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

When he arrives in the final third he doesnt really do so with the aims of influencing the game in the same way that other fullbacks do hence why hes only got 5 PL assists in almost 2300 minutes.

In terms of full backs, only 4 players have more assists than Chilwell in the league this season:

Robertson - 7 (3,386 mins)

TAA - 7 (2,997 mins)

Digne - 6 (2,232 mins)

Coufal - 6 (2,605 mins)

Shaw also has 5 assists from 2,604 mins played. 

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Only issue with Chilwell is his lack of aggressiveness/determination to make a real impact on the game in the final third compared to other fullbacks.

When he arrives in the final third he doesnt really do so with the aims of influencing the game in the same way that other fullbacks do hence why hes only got 5 PL assists in almost 2300 minutes. Although I suppose for a fullback thats maybe not the worst but there sure are times he is extremely frustrating. 

Think his last PL assist was v West Han a month ago. Then before that his last PL assist was in December v Villa. He only has 2 assist in half a season with Tuchel in all competitions which isn’t great. All in all, could be worse could be better in terms of his performances at times, the price tag always going to weigh down on him if he doesn’t up his level though and become a better player. I think mentally he isnt ever going to be driven enough to become the best or one of the best in his position though and that is worrying. 

It's a strange one because I do think Chilwell has the aggressiveness and determination to get into the final third on a regular basis and I do think if there is space available he attacks it. When the space isn't there, I'd agree there's question marks of whether he can do more but then is the problem more related to the personnel on the pitch?

If we have a front three for example of Mount, Pulisic and Werner then Chilwell is just going to get ridiculed for trying to regularly cross the ball. The wing backs role under Tuchel may be to do what Chilwell is doing, i.e. provide the width to try and pull defenders out and then recycle the ball to hopefully exploit spaces. I agree though at times he needs to move the ball quicker, especially against a deep defence but like others have said he isn't the only one guilty of this.

I've been fairly pleased with his contributions this season. He went through a mid season slump but he's definitely come out of it better and more battle hardened. There are certainly far more pressing areas of the squad we need to worry about than his position.

I still think he's better suited as a left back than a wing back though, but I also think the same of James. 

Great game from him. Really good touch from him in the build-up to the goal.