Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

21. Ben Chilwell


Jas
 Share
Followers 6

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Will take some good opponents until he makes those kind of mistakes. Maybe Atletico will be his first real test. 

Yup and we have some really big, tough teams to play. Atletico, Man United, Everton, Liverpool etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tears in my eyes. Finally a proper left back. 

Don't want to kneejerk too soon but if he keeps this up this will be my worst misjudgement ever, and I've made some in my time.

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

it is crazy how quickly Chilwell, Zouma, Kante, and Pulisic have fallen off the edge of the flat earth (joking about a flat earth, I am NOT insane)

Havertz too, but he is injured, has COVID long hauler effects and was not playing well anyway

I think Zouma just needs a chance. All the other players you mentioned are in a mess right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I think Zouma just needs a chance. All the other players you mentioned are in a mess right now. 

Kante was playing great when he played as the DMF in a 3 man midfield

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

After not playing in Cup I expected him to play today but clearly Alonso is ahead now. Rightly so. 

Ever since late November he has looked like a legit fraud. Can't dribble, pass and his defensive side of the game looks average as well. The only thing he does is mindlessly cross. 

I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a better player, but it really looks bad at the moment. I didn't want us to sign him, because I saw a few games of his last season. Leicester fans didn't like him as well, and let's not forget that he is a Lampard signing too. All of these things worry me, however I might be overdramatic. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Height and tactics against deflated Chilwell in fight for club and country place

https://theathletic.com/2418978/2021/03/02/height-chilwell-Chelsea/

BEN-CHILWELL-scaled-e1614608240612-1024x683.jpg

Callum Hudson-Odoi wasn’t the only Chelsea player feeling a sense of relief after their game against Manchester United on Sunday came to an end.

Referee Stuart Attwell’s decision not to award United a penalty for a possible handball by Hudson-Odoi dominated the post-match discussion. Forgotten amid the cries of outrage from manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the visitors’ camp was just how much of a significant afternoon it had been for Chelsea’s Ben Chilwell.

It would be understandable if Chilwell felt delighted just to be on the pitch. This was only the third time he had played for Chelsea since Thomas Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard as coach in January.

His absence hasn’t been caused by injury or suspension. Tuchel has simply preferred Marcos Alonso, who had gone four months without an appearance under Lampard, to the England international.

Alonso has started six of Tuchel’s nine matches, playing 523 minutes in all. In contrast, Chilwell’s outing on Sunday took his tally to a mere 228 minutes, although at least he completed the game — the previous two appearances saw him being substituted. On one of those occasions it was Alonso who replaced him (at Sheffield United), a decision which is believed to have struck a nerve.

Naturally, before his selection at the weekend, the 24-year-old had been feeling rather deflated about things. Like with other players who haven’t featured regularly, Tuchel had pulled Chilwell aside to explain his decisions, although that can only succeed in diluting the disappointment somewhat.

Sources have told The Athletic that he hasn’t considered complaining to Tuchel about the situation or causing a fuss. In fact, it is believed Chilwell concedes that his form had dropped at the back end of Lampard’s reign so being left out initially didn’t come as a surprise, especially as he also recognises what Alonso brings to the left wing-back role.

This honest appraisal of the situation is typical of the man. In October, Chilwell admitted on social media that he had suffered from a loss of confidence while still a Leicester City player last season and went to speak to someone about it.

Still, this was not in the script for someone who changed clubs for £50 million last summer. Joining Chelsea was regarded as a move to help him take his career on to another level, not watch their games on a regular basis from the sidelines.

What Chilwell has been going through is a common occurrence in the sport whenever a club’s board decide to make a change in the dugout. A different coach can lead to different ideas and line-ups. What is so noteworthy about this case is it involves such an expensive and high-profile player.

There are two factors why Alonso jumped ahead of him in the pecking order. With Tuchel switching from Lampard’s 4-3-3 system to a 3-4-1-2, it requires a wing-back rather than a traditional left-back, which Chilwell is.

This suits Alonso’s skill set more. He won a Premier League title with Chelsea playing in that position under Antonio Conte, who also used three at the back, in 2016-17. The Spain international’s lack of pace isn’t as exposed defensively, but his fine technique going forward can be utilised. As this piece highlighted, no defender has scored more goals in the Premier League since he joined the club five years ago. He added to the tally with a fine volley against Burnley to reach the impressive landmark of 20. To put that in perspective, Chilwell has scored six times since making his Premier League debut for Leicester in 2016.

The other reason is his height. Alonso is 6ft 2in, Chilwell’s 5ft 10in. That is a useful asset to have in both penalty areas. It was a big reason why Alonso came on for Chilwell at Bramall Lane because Tuchel had also taken off Olivier Giroud and was worried about Chelsea’s ability to defend set pieces in the air.

Given the way Tuchel has used Alonso so regularly, it would not be a surprise if the 30-year-old returns to the line-up against Liverpool on Thursday and/or Everton next Monday. Even with over four years left on his contract and with youth on Chilwell’s side, that is an unsettling concept.

The uncertainty isn’t great for Chilwell right now. He not only has a fight on for his role at club level but naturally his position in the England team is under threat too.

In a fortnight, Gareth Southgate will name his squad for three World Cup qualifiers that take place at the end of this month, while England’s opening match at the European Championship against Croatia is now only three months away.

All 12 of Chilwell’s caps have been won under Southgate, but due to illness, injury and international football being postponed for a period because of the pandemic, has earned just one of those in the past 16 months.

He would only be human if he is concerned. Arsenal’s 19-year-old Bukayo Saka played four times for England at left wing-back last autumn, including against Belgium in November after Chilwell went off with an injury.

Leicester City’s James Justin would have been another major threat had he not suffered an ACL injury to his knee last month, but Luke Shaw is staking a very strong claim for the role. He has been in fine form for Manchester United for some time.

It was noticeable how Chilwell and Shaw were together after the final whistle at Stamford Bridge, enjoying what looked like a pretty light-hearted conversation. Judging by the 90 minutes each one had just produced, Southgate has a tough task choosing between them.

Shaw created three chances on Sunday to Chilwell’s one, however the latter’s run and cross to pick out Hakim Ziyech was arguably the opportunity of the match. It took a fine save from David de Gea to deny the former Ajax playmaker.

While Shaw won the tackle battle three to zero and won six duels to his four, Chilwell made more passes (53 to 47) and was more accurate with them (86.8 per cent to Shaw’s 80.9 per cent). There was an even more notable difference with the completion rate when in the opposing half (82.1 per cent, vs 57.1 per cent for Shaw).

Chilwell’s return of two goals and four assists for the season at Chelsea is good, although those all came before the turn of the year. Four of Shaw’s five assists came in February, so will be fresher in Southgate’s mind.

Yet it is worth bearing in mind Shaw hasn’t played for England since 2018. Form and injuries have been an issue for him too. Of the two, Chilwell has been able to earn Southgate’s trust.

But if he has only a minor role at club level on the run-in, it will be harder for Southgate to justify selecting him to play in a major tournament.

Tuchel won’t be worried about that, of course. He has his own targets to achieve and a new board to impress.

Speaking last month, he said: “I had a talk with him (Chilwell) before the Tottenham match (after he was named as a substitute for a second game in a row) and told him, ‘You have to trust me now. I see the potential, I see your talent’.

“It’s possible that (Chilwell) thinks a lot about this situation, hopefully not too much because he can have trust in himself first of all, and he can trust us as staff that we will keep on pushing and we will find possibilities to reward him.

“At the same time, we wanted to have a start where we are fair to everybody and we don’t judge anybody by the amount of money that the club has spent, but to give everybody the feeling that this is a fresh start.”

Alonso has made the most of this opportunity so far.

Chilwell now knows he will have to do the same every time he gets picked.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Still remember the first 2-3 pages when he played a couple half decent games and some members here tried to be arrogant saying masterstroke from Frank, fair price for a potential worldclass player, not bad for a Mount's friend signing. The truth is he was always limited beyond belief and average, even the Leicester fans are laughing at him on their forum, we got robbed, thanks a lot Frank for adding to the deadwood.

Edited by R2D2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Think people are well over the top here. 


How? Hes only really played well v Liverpool but thats about it so far with Tuchel. He needs to improve, hes no doubt dropped a level since Frank was in and even towards the end of Frank’s spell here he was very poor compared to how he started for a while. As I said weeks ago, if it was based on performances so far under Tuchel, Alonso is clearly first pick at LWB, seeing as we have utilised the back 3 much more often than a back 4. Something I think we will go back to v Atletico.

He still can turn it around, undeniably, and Tuchel’s comments on his potential kind of make me think he sees him as a long term fixture in the team but he also has work to do. As does Ziyech, Pulisic and Werner I feel also. He wasn’t my first choice in the summer, but he started well, at big clubs though you have to keep being consistent and bounce back, like Mount has done, like Jorginho and Kovacic have done, like Christensen, Ruidger and Azpilicueta have done.

He has competition for his England starting place now too with Luke Shaw who has been very consistent for Man United now for the best part of a year and a half. If he doesn’t pull the finger out he will be sitting on the bench for us and for England at the Euros. He is also lucky that James Justin is out for the competition by the looks of it with his injury because if he was still playing well for Leicester and Chilly wasn’t playing well/or as often, it may be a totally different outcome. 

Edited by OneMoSalah
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:


How? Hes only really played well v Liverpool but thats about it so far with Tuchel. He needs to improve, hes no doubt dropped a level since Frank was in and even towards the end of Frank’s spell here he was very poor compared to how he started for a while. As I said weeks ago, if it was based on performances so far under Tuchel, Alonso is clearly first pick at LWB, seeing as we have utilised the back 3 much more often than a back 4. Something I think we will go back to v Atletico.

He still can turn it around, undeniably, and Tuchel’s comments on his potential kind of make me think he sees him as a long term fixture in the team but he also has work to do. As does Ziyech, Pulisic and Werner I feel also. He wasn’t my first choice in the summer, but he started well, at big clubs though you have to keep being consistent and bounce back, like Mount has done, like Jorginho and Kovacic have done, like Christensen, Ruidger and Azpilicueta have done.

He has competition for his England starting place now too with Luke Shaw who has been very consistent for Man United now for the best part of a year and a half. If he doesn’t pull the finger out he will be sitting on the bench for us and for England at the Euros. He is also lucky that James Justin is out for the competition by the looks of it with his injury because if he was still playing well for Leicester and Chilly wasn’t playing well/or as often, it may be a totally different outcome. 

You don't think the comments writing him off completely aren't OTT? A based on the other options... 

Alex Telles can't get game time over Shaw. Also hearing Telles offers nothing defensively. 

Tagliafico should now be considered a massive risk given how poor Eredivisie players have looked since leaving Ajax. 

Regulion has look good but one needs to question how he'd look under a more progressive team and how he'd fair defensively. 

 

 

Edited by MoroccanBlue
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

You don't think the comments writing him off completely aren't OTT? A based on the other options... 

Alex Telles can't get game time over Shaw. Also hearing Telles offers nothing defensively. 

Tagliafico should now be considered a massive risk given how poor Eredivisie players have looked since leaving Ajax. 

Regulion has look good but one needs to question how he'd look under a more progressive team and how he'd fair defensively. 

 

 

Writing him off is stupid yes but he still has got work to do. When he signed it was obvious defensively he wasnt the best but even now his impact in the final third isnt particularly saving him from that criticism either. If he was offering what he was earlier in the season consistently you’d maybe let him off a bit for the defensive side of his game. Regulion will be back at Madrid in a season or two I think, he is very good for me. I think defensively he has improved with Mourinho, positionally he is much better and not just reliant on his speed to get back in and going forward he always offers a threat. Like I said, a season or two more, Madrid will want him back and if Tottenham dont do anything he will go.

I am still shocked Man City didnt go for him as he is a Pep Guardiola full back if I have ever seen one, although maybe the fact Zinchenko is perhaps better coming into central areas in midfield like we see most weeks with him and Cancelo as opposed to creating width like fullbacks traditionally do, it is maybe not the worst thing either as I think this is a reason why Mendy also suffers for City as he is better on the outside. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chilwell on adapting to be a LWB...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/22/ben-chilwellchelseas-england-contingent-hoping-thomas-tuchel/

“My whole career, I’ve been more used to playing left-back than left wing-back. You know, the formation we’re playing suits a lot of players and it’s working for us very well. So if I want to play I have to adapt my game to be able to play left wing-back as well as left-back. 

“I’m working hard in training and, coming into games, I’m asking a lot of questions, where I can be positionally, so I can improve and get more opportunities to play in that role. But on the other side of things when you’ve got two or three players in each position that can do different roles and have different strengths, it makes everyone train a lot harder, which is creating a good buzz around the place.”

“The main thing is when you’re playing wing-back, you’re already a lot higher up the pitch. When you’re playing left-back, you’re running on to things, using your speed to get up and down the pitch, which is my strength. Whereas left wing-back, you’re predominantly just in the attacking third, which I’ve had to adapt to. Against Sheffield United, I got a dubious goal and assist, so on the attacking side of things I’ve shown that I can play there as well as left-back.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jason said:

Chilwell on adapting to be a LWB...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/22/ben-chilwellchelseas-england-contingent-hoping-thomas-tuchel/

“My whole career, I’ve been more used to playing left-back than left wing-back. You know, the formation we’re playing suits a lot of players and it’s working for us very well. So if I want to play I have to adapt my game to be able to play left wing-back as well as left-back. 

“I’m working hard in training and, coming into games, I’m asking a lot of questions, where I can be positionally, so I can improve and get more opportunities to play in that role. But on the other side of things when you’ve got two or three players in each position that can do different roles and have different strengths, it makes everyone train a lot harder, which is creating a good buzz around the place.”

“The main thing is when you’re playing wing-back, you’re already a lot higher up the pitch. When you’re playing left-back, you’re running on to things, using your speed to get up and down the pitch, which is my strength. Whereas left wing-back, you’re predominantly just in the attacking third, which I’ve had to adapt to. Against Sheffield United, I got a dubious goal and assist, so on the attacking side of things I’ve shown that I can play there as well as left-back.”

Interesting that he played as the WB, while Emerson played as the left CB in the last FA cup game.

IMO, Emerson is the most clueless defender we have (even more than Alonso) and he failed to play the Sheffield United attackers offside during the 2nd half, when they kept trying to play the long ball over his head.

Neither Emerson or Chillwell are dominant in the air, but at least Chillwell has more defensive nous to play an offside trap correctly. Conversely, I think Emerson is better in attack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Conversely, I think Emerson is better in attack.

Where has that narrative come from?

He has only 9 assists in his entire club career so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jason said:

Where has that narrative come from?

He has only 9 assists in his entire club career so far.

More so because of his positioning on the pitch as an attacking outlet, unlike Chillwell who still doesn't get into advanced areas as often as he should.

And this is strictly about their performance as a WB. I think Chillwell trumps Emerson as an outright FB. If Chillwell improved his positioning (just like he said in the article above) he would be the best option for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an awesome individual goal that gets better every time you see it. the first three touches are just perfection. to get the ball  away from Corona and into space but not too far, then past the defender but not too close to the goalie and then past the goalkeeper but not too close to the other defender just brilliantly executed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Already contributed 10 goals this season, after his 7th assist of the season yesterday. One of 7 players to have contributed at least 10 goals this season.

That tally of 10 is also his personal best in a season so far in his career.

For (random) comparison, Reguilon has managed 6 assists and yet to score this season.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...