21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

We're gonna be the youngest team in the league for the most part (barring a few players bumping up our average). And with the way the market is going all of these deals so far seem good value for us barring their performances falling off a cliff.

Werner, ziyech etc would all have gone for a lot more if they had longer contracts etc

2 hours ago, Jason said:

This is the latest from earlier...

Not sure of what to make of this.

While he won't fix problems in defense, he will most certainly improve it in other ways.

It would be almost like us having Marcel Desaiily back in the 2000's, when he had strong influence on the growth of JT as a defender. Could really help out some of our younger defenders, in terms of mentality.

The question is,...is that what Frank really wants for next season?

7 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Are you sure its the board in this case?

I'm pretty sure the board will present a range of possible options to sign up for a particular position, but its the manager who makes the final pick., or at least has a decisive say, since the signing needs to fit his tactics.

There was that myth that the Chelsea board signed Torres., when it was actually Ancelloti who chose the player (most likely over Aguero). Carlo himself admitted this.

Regarding Chillwel, I'm not entirely sold. In a transfer window where we need to allocate funds for multiple signings, and when there were seemingly cheaper (and possibly better) options in LB, it is concerning.

The one saving grace is that the original 80 mill transfer fee that was rumored, is now less.

Manager should never make these decisions. Torres is great example here.

You need a sporting director who picks the best choice. Manager can tell what kind of player he wants and maybe suggest, but then its up to director to find suitable option. 

Lampard, Ancelotti or any manager can observe players in matches and they impress them. Then they might say, yes get Torres or Chilwell or whoever. Their role isnt scouting entire europe. Meanwhile sporting director can set up entire system actoss europe to find the best possible striker or lb or someone else. 

If you have biased manager towards PL players or director who has little clue, you get Kepas, Bakayokos, Drinkwaters etc. 

Every team makes such bad signing from time to time, but we did many many bad signings. 

Thats why we need someone like Kenyon, Marotta or Edwards to build us a team, not Lampard or Marina.

I think the key thing to note with chillwell despite his flaws. We know he's not the best left back in the world. But... The upgrade from what we have be it azpi playing left back or marcos alonso is a big jump even if he puts in solid above average performances which I'd say is something he can do. Which makes it different from the other signings which turned out to be busts. Of course you could argue we could buy xyz for cheaper at left back but it's not as easy as that. And a young player who can still improve will hold his value seems ideal to me. Plus it weakens a team who's been a rival in recent years.

Of course if its actually 80 mil then that does change things but I think 50 is a fair price

44 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

The same FL who has developed Mason Mount for the last few seasons, why can't he do it with Chilwell? Or are we just just writing him off already....damn I'm asking the wrong certain group of fans here aren't I?

Think he'll do well for us tbh